1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

years per turn on premade maps

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by henryMCVII, Mar 14, 2011.

1. henryMCVII

henryMCVII Warlord

Hiya, Im trying to fiddle around with some maps again, but there comes a question into my mind:

Is there a way, to define the number of years, months or even days per turn on premade maps?

Back in Civ4 there was a CALENDAR_ line in map files. Is there something like that here in Civ5 aviable as well?

Trying to explain it a bit: I want to play different maps with different "speed per turn" while using the same mod. For example: imagine a WW2-Mod, including own new techs own new uints and so on. - Now imagine one map "The battle of Stalingrad" focussing the region of Stalingrad and running ... lets say 300 turns in normal game speed, calendar tracking from May 1942 until January 1943. Then imagine another Map "WW2 worldwide", map is showing the whole world and should run again 300 turns but from 1939 untill 1945. Any way to make soething like this? Hope you got my point.

2. DragonBlood87

DragonBlood87 Chieftain

Yes, you can do something like that.

START_YEAR (GlobalDefines.xml) sets the starting year (and is treated as being January of that year; I am not aware of any way of changing that).

Then, the GameSpeed_Turns table (GameInfo/Civ5GameSpeeds.xml) sets the years-per-turn. You set it up by specifying a number of turns at a given month increment, in the order they will happen in-game, and you do this for all game speeds.

The only issues for what you are suggesting are:
    1) There doesn't seem to be a way to get the game to display the month, just the year,
    2) You can't seem to tie it to just a map (it has to be a mod, which would affect all games while it is active). Or, if you can, then I haven't figured out how.

You can, however, make a different mod for each of the scenarios you are wanting, which just modifies those values. Then you just activate the appropriate one before you start the scenario.

3. henryMCVII

henryMCVII Warlord

Thank you DragonBlood87. :)

I was afraid in exactly this. :( Its not my own mod im talking about. The Game speed is affected in Mod allready and since no XMLs are shared with the mods (they arent shaded, right?) I can't do this kind of scenario then. :( Beside that I dont want to do own modmods just for another map.

Dont look well thought out to me.

4. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

XML changes from multiple odds can often merge well, as long as the mods are ADDING content instead of removing it. Lua is the one where two mods can't affect the same file at all.

The GameSpeeds XML table is unlikely to merge well, given how rigidly it's structured, but you could actually make it a SQL mod instead. So take the year scaling in the normal mod, and divide all entries' months_per_turn value by 4 through a one-line SQL change.

Changing the start year might be a problem, given that the base mod is of course doing so as well. When two mods change the same XML value, it's hard to tell which should override (and I've got this problem in my own mods). This is what the Dependencies table in the mod properties is supposed to deal with, but last I heard it still doesn't work.

5. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

You can do it using LUA (I've done it the brute way in my Stalingrad scenario...)

but as said you must tie your map(s) to a mod.

what could be done is to make the mod identifying the map currently loaded and activate the timeline if the map check.