Yemen War

Henri Christophe

L'empereur
There is another war in the world just now, in Yemen.
I can't find many information about, and Television just speak about Ukranian war.

What do you know about Yemen war? Let's discuss it here. Help me to understand it better.

Sunni/shia power grab....seems this has been going on since the moment muhammad dropped dead

It started as an internal argument between factions within Yemen that need not have involved other countries.

But various outsiders thought they could obtain advantage by meddling in it and now it is also a proxy war
between Saudi Arabia and Iran with the USA and the UK tending to support the Saudi intervention.

I found this video of Al Jazeera talking about the Yemen War

I wonder why this war don't catch our attention as Ukraine war?

Something the Dutch call the 'Wet van de Pleuris' - the formula is P = V x R x (S)M³

A conflict or disaster is rated for relevance [R], social mediagenicity [M] and culpability [V].

S stands for social media vs. regular media - if present.

P is then the amount of consternation [Pleuris P] you can expect on the home front.

20150101-vdmmp-factsheet-wet-van-pleuris-20.pdf (ifv.nl)

Simply put - Yemen is not very relevant [to us], there is little useful footage or info and we have no idea who started the conflict or why, so little consternation.

But I thought that few of you Europeans believed that?

In any case Iraq had oil to steal, not that the Americans even managed that.

Something the Dutch call the 'Wet van de Pleuris' - the formula is P = V x R x (S)M³

A conflict or disaster is rated for relevance [R], social mediagenicity [M] and culpability [V].

S stands for social media vs. regular media - if present.

P is then the amount of consternation [Pleuris P] you can expect on the home front.

20150101-vdmmp-factsheet-wet-van-pleuris-20.pdf (ifv.nl)

Simply put - Yemen is not very relevant [to us], there is little useful footage or info and we have no idea who started the conflict or why, so little consternation.

It's primarily a bombing campaign with arms and aircraft maintenance sustained by us however. Without American contractors or munitions manufacturing the scale of this war would be much less.

I am waiting for Saudi to be sanctioned/thrown out of the Swift system.

/sarkgasm
Dunno why you're being sarcastic. Seems like a great idea. I mean, it won't happen, but that's not the point. No need for fig leaves here ;)

Without American contractors or munitions manufacturing the scale of this war would be much less.
Witch side is the US? and why don't have internation sanctions to Saudi Arabia just now.
Why one war in Meadle East don't make us cry as one war in Europe?

Because it's a civil war (at it's base), and not an invasion. That makes the situation very different.

Pretty sure the war in Ukraine is far more obviously about separatism, than Saudi vs Yemen.
Reason Saudi isn't sanctioned is the same reason other members of "team good guys" aren't.

I don't like this selective comotion, the Television in my country never spoke about this war, not even a side note. Meanwhile Ukraine war is full time on Television.

If this a civil war, why Saudi Arabia is envolved? And most important, where is the sanctions against Saudi Arabia?

Witch side is the US? and why don't have internation sanctions to Saudi Arabia just now.
Why one war in Meadle East don't make us cry as one war in Europe?
This thread is important, I had thought to post such a thread for years but it is all getting a bit depressing for me and I could not face trying to be responsible for the discussion. The why is a good question, and I think it is mostly because Europe is both physically and culturally more similar to us. When we see Yemen being bombed it is easy to think of the places as far away because they look so different from where we live, and the people look so different. In Ukraine the people look like me, the cities look like UK cities, the weather looks like UK weather.

There is the other thing that the Houthi's make themselves kind of hard to love:

Flag of Houthis: Allah is Greater, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam. Note Yemen has a significant native Jewish population.

Last edited:
This thread is important, I had thought to post such a thread for years but it is all getting a bit depressing for me and I could not face trying to be responsible for the discussion. The why is a good question, and I think it is mostly because Europe is both physically and culturally more similar to us. When we see Yemen being bombed it is easy to think of the places as far away because they look so different from where we live, and the people look so different. In Ukraine the people look like me, the cities look like UK cities, the weather looks like UK weather.
I'm from a tropical country, don't have that in common with Ukraine, but still television just speak about this war.

There is the other thing that the Houthi's make themselves kind of hard to love:

Flag of Houthis: Allah is Greater, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam. Note Yemen has a significant native Jewish population.
Very intense this flag, very hard to like this kind of people, thanks for share it with us, I didn't know.

I know there is a Shia faction and a Sunni faction and well that spells conflict. I know the war is not in the Occident and the victims are not Caucasian and it makes many western countries less likely to have compassion for the victims or outrage at the violence. I also know America has ties to Saudi Arabia and probably does not want to interfere in the conflict since it would jeopardize various financial arrangements we have with them. Not saying I agree with the tactic, but just recognizing it.

Question for the author of the flags statements: "Now tell me how you really feel."

"Inspired by the motto of revolutionary Iran the slogan "Allah is the Greatest, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam" was originally not tied to the Houthi movement. (wikipedia)

Now to be fair and consider this I am American. I understand some of the vitriol in the message especially finding out its origins are from Iran. The same Iran that in which the CIA, MI6 successfully orchestrated a coup in.Iran was a moderate democracy at the time. The motivation for the coup: so the British and Americans could rape Iran for its oil. Look up Operation Ajax its a good read. The end result is a Theocratic govt in Iran that hates America. Consider this: there would be an organic moderate Islamic democracy in the middle east had the coup not been successful. What a blunder.

Top Bottom