Yet Another Completely Random DG7 Idea: Parliamentary Democracy

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
Now, it appears that during my two-week leave of absense, someone decided to go ahead and end the game. Understand that I haven't had a chance to completely read all the previous discussion on this subject to date, but this was just an idea that popped into my head while travelling down Interstate 80 through Nevada (or was it Interstate 70 through Kansas? Both are mind-numbingly boring).

How about a parliamentary democracy? That is, we elect a group of people to the Parliament. That Parliament then selects (from it's own body) a Prime Minister and (not necessairliy from it's own body) a Cabinet to assist the Prime Minister, who is the turnplayer-in-chief.

That doesn't sound too radical, but remember, it was a long trip. Before the Prime Minister could play the turns, he and his cabinet would have to compile a single, comprehensive turn plan that has to be approved by either the Parliament or by referendum of the citizens. The Prime Minister may present his government's plan to his choice of the bodies; however, should the plan fail before one of those groups, it gets thrown to the other.

For example, if the Prime Minister presents an unpopular plan to declare war on a neighbor before the Parliament and the Parliament rejects the plan, that turn plan must be presented as a referendum for all the citizens of the country. If the plan fails again during a referendum (or vice-versa), the government must survive a vote of confidence in the Parliament, or else the Prime Minister loses his job and new elections are held.

As another note, elections would only be held when the Prime Minister dissolves the Parliament (at his choice of times), or when the Prime Minister's government loses a vote of confidence in the Parliament (triggered when one of his turn plans fail), or or loss of such a vote in a referendum (probably triggered at the request of a group of citizens).

All that said, do we have any takers? :D

sounds interesting. So, the citizens only vote if the parliament doesn't agree with the PM's decisions? And how many people would we need for the parliament?

Well, the PM has a choice - he can submit his turn plan to either the people or the parliament for approval. If it fails in either one of those bodies first, the plan gets thrown to the other one.

I'd imagine 4-8 people in the Parliament - large enough to be somewhat representative, yet small enough to allow votes to proceed quickly (obviously, a Parliament vote would occur more quickly compared to a general referendum).

I agree completely. Did you see my idea for one here

So they would vote on every single turn? Sounds like added bueracracy...

Nobody said:
A real parliament is made up of 1 or more houses and the monarch
parliments are governments with just houses of congress, no executive branch

Most parliment government are often assoiciated with a monarchy. However there are several countries in the world that are based on a monarchy. Hence it is a democracy in a sense.

Your basis that the executive part of the system must be King is incorrect.

so what!!!, i was just saying i think kings are cool. someone has to jump in critsing everything.... damn you people

I don't want you to be king...that why I jump in. :p

We don't necessairily need a King, but I think that would be cool. We could also imitate Italy, which has a President as well as a Parliament, though I was mainly hoping to eliminate the ceremonial position althogether.

Also, when I said 'turn plan' or whatever, I was basically refering to a group of instructions for a particular session, not necessairily on a turn-by-turn basis - that might be bordering on insanity. I'd basically eliminate the TC instruction thread in favor of a single, united turn session plan.

a Parliament doesn't need to have a king all though that is a good idea it would make the game a bit more challenging don't you think

Top Bottom