1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another Emperor game!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Kbo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Kbo

Kbo Chieftain

Hey Guys and girls!

Trying to improve my game on Emp since i recently bumped up from Monarch, just not able to get off to the start I'd like....seems the AI really starts to just pick a plan and gun to it rather than try and cover a number of bases, something i need to start doing myself. After playing a few games with leaders that i usually prefer (Will, Cathy, Louis) I decided to mix things up a bit and see if I could *broaden my horizons* so to speak with a spi leader......without further ado I was hoping i could grab some tips from some more experienced players on how to play Saladin!

Spoiler :

Here's my start, feel free to shadow / play if you like, more the merrier of course. Standard / Continents

Now mysticism is a starting tech, and i normally hate going for one of the initial religions since if i miss out its a lot of initial turns that normally for spi leaders could be placed elsewhere such as mining/BW or pottery, etc. But that early religion acts as much as having stonehenge minus the GPP of course. Is it worth it?

Anyway, moving on....moving the warrior SW reveals gold on the far mountain aswell

Could either found in place and have no gold in the capital, or move NW and claim the gold while still having some FP in the south possibly for another city....but if going towards an early religion then that missed turn could be disastrous...

Attached Files:

2. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Go for Confucianism (Code of Laws), with the gold you will get it early enough!

3. z0wb13

z0wb13 undead

settle 1 NW and research something that will help to start improving those tiles.

4. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

I don't think that you could ask for a better start. I agree with settling NW.

5. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

I will offer some different advice.

Settle in place, there is excellent food and moving get's you gold and 2 plains which are rather poor food quality. The multiple floodplains more than make up for the gold which another city can claim.

Sal's UB and starting techs work well with an early religion plus you have floodplains. God for Polytheims and try to get Judaism a bit later if you miss. Next is hunting and AH, if no horses nearby then detour to archery, otherwise pottery followed by writing for the UB. BW can wait on this start.

I will try and shadow a bit tonight.

6. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Settle NW / to the 7 posituion.

7. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

NW stronger early production (plains/hills, gold). In place is a better cottage city.

Why go early religion when you have such nice tiles to improve?

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

what mod are you playing? i thought it was BUFFY but that didn't work for me - only loads unmodded.

it helps if you let us know the mod you are using as I prefer to play with BUG or BUFFY...thanks

9. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Deity

Huh - I would have thought the ALT + CTRL + O to modify BUG was a hint.

I strongly disagree here - the destiny of that Corn tile is to feed the Gold, so you either need both in the cross, or both out of it (to leave room for a different city). With irrigated corn, and two sties of pigs, you're looking at 19 :food: at size 3; are you really intending to play that into 31 food at size 7? What are you going to do with it all?

The normal looking plays, from my perspective, are a production heavy capital (fast expansion then wonder spamming) to the nw on the plains hill (so corn/pigs/pigs/gold/mine/mine/mine/mine....), or SE, collecting a bunch more river tiles for a more traditional commerce heavy capital.

Neither of these plays goes well with a Buddhism sprint (that's the right religion to go for here, if...). I don't usually find that I miss that early religion very much - Mysticism is more important for StoneHenge than the religion race.

As you are playing Saladin (SPI), and have Gold near by, you should be thinking about the Shwedagon Paya (unlocks the religions civics, production boosted with gold).

One theme that might be fun from here is to go completely bonkers with settled prophets, leveraging the bonus hammers in your production monster capital to score even more wonders; the later part of your start might be Meditation > Priesthood > Oracle (Aethetics) > Shwedagon > ... > Philosophy > Angkor Wat ...

Translation: because someone forgot to turn on resource bubbles *cough*, madscientist overlooked the wet corn.

10. lymond

11. Silu

Silu Deity

I'm guessing the OP has BUG installed into CustomAssets so that he can spread the save around and people aren't required to have the same exact mod that he has. Play unmodded or do the same and put BUG into CustomAssets.

12. lymond

i've run across mention of custom assets for bug or other mods - although it's all a bit confusing to me. doesn't it conflict with other mods like BUFFY, which I use the most?

i just recently -say last coupla months - started using these mods for the normal game as I primarily played the fantasy mods for the last couple of years. trying to actually learn to play the game right now

on another note - just curious, but did the barbs some especially fierce (err...raging) early in this game for it not being "raging barbs". may just be my luck

13. Silu

Silu Deity

It might with BUFFY, I'm not an expert on that. I think you at least need some extra shenanigans to get it working the way HoF requires.

If you just want to play the start you can load the game unmodded, on the first turn go to worldbuilder->save->load your favorite mod->play as scenario->pick the WB save you just made.

14. lymond

that was very helpful. i've always wondered how you do that. a lot of folks here provide WB saves that I can use with any mod and i've wondered how they create them. i'll try that

15. Le Singe

Le Singe Chieftain

I don't know crap compared to most ppl on this forum I'm even a little behind the O.P. i'm trying to move up to emporer but have been spending most of my time "behind the woodshed" if you KWIM, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. But to me if you can reasonable have gold in your first cities BFC you have to do it. In 1300 ad the gold tile maybe no big deal and the food mayber worth more but whats realy important is the % of commerce. I would imagin at first having that gold tile in the bfc would increase your commerce by 50% or maybe more and this is in the highly critical first part of the game.