Yet another gaming desktop topic

Glassmage

The Desert Flame
Hi guys, I read through some of the topics about getting new desktops and gaming desktops and all that. I want a great gaming desktop, and I am willing to spend $2000 or a little more on it. What do you guys recommend?

I have an idea of what I want:

Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 or 570

Processor: Intel i7 Quad Core... quad core is good right? Some specs have "3.20GHz 4.8GT/s" and stuff like that so I don't understand what number is better than what number

Memory: 4GB or above, but there are some specs that have 3x 2GB 1333MHz DDR3
sticks, so how is the memory thing for that setup works, do I get 6GB 100%?

Also what is SLI and Crossfire stuff mean, and it has to do with multiple graphic cards??? So do I need 1 graphic card or more?

Anyway, thanks! :D

Quads have been starting to become common these days so I don't see a harm in the i7s. Though what generation of i7s are you going for? Since the first gens are gonna be cheaper than the 2nd gens.

SLI is indeed a way to connect two compatible GPU (graphics cards). It's a useless gimmick if you're only going to buy one of course.

For the memory, yeah I'd go over 4 GB these days, and yes you do get all the ram nowadays (with modern CPUs and motherboards) if you are going for a modern OS with 64bit support. If you installed XP with 32bit support, then yes, the computer would ignore the 6GB, and you wouldn't even get 4 GB. But you'll use 7 right?

I'd go with an I-series, since that's the future of Intel and they are decent. I'm a little wary of power consumption of them, since it's more than the common core2duo CPUs, but you get a good balance of performance versus power consumption.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/15818/14

Hi guys, I read through some of the topics about getting new desktops and gaming desktops and all that. I want a great gaming desktop, and I am willing to spend $2000 or a little more on it. What do you guys recommend?

Before one could start to do make sensible recommendations, some things would e useful to know:

Would you be able/willing to assemble the computer yourself?
Do you already have a display? If yes, what is its resolution and quality?
Are you hell-bent on spending $2000+, or would you be interested in recommendations aimed at a "good value for money" build? That would come much closer to $1000 than to $2000.

SLI is indeed a way to connect two compatible GPU (graphics cards). It's a useless gimmick if you're only going to buy one of course.

For the memory, yeah I'd go over 4 GB these days, and yes you do get all the ram nowadays (with modern CPUs and motherboards) if you are going for a modern OS with 64bit support. If you installed XP with 32bit support, then yes, the computer would ignore the 6GB, and you wouldn't even get 4 GB. But you'll use 7 right?

I'd go with an I-series, since that's the future of Intel and they are decent. I'm a little wary of power consumption of them, since it's more than the common core2duo CPUs, but you get a good balance of performance versus power consumption.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/15818/14
The 2nd Gen iX series gets the work done much faster hence less power

You can do everything you want for under 1000$. Stay clear of Windows XP and you honestly don't need SLI as the top cards can handle everything solo, and you don't really want the heat issues. Especially if you choose a smaller mobo.

When I bought it, it was the bomb, now its less then mediocre.
NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Graphics Memory: 1024 MB
RAM: 2GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.4 GHz

I think my fan just broke, I also need a new PC

Zelig is just saying that a model like that was intentionally released as a economy gamer model. Some models are cutting edge for their time, some are released just to fill a price point and performance/cash space in the company's lineup.

I'd say if you want quality and are willing to spend $2000 then go custom. If you do that then you won't have to worry about bloatware and all that garbage they add to the computer. Also going custom will ensure that it will fit you like a glove...

You don't need two grand for a custom build, you can do everything you need with under a thousand.

First off, I would say if your not very familiar with the components/brands of putting a new desktop together from scratch, then buy off the shelf. While putting a computer together isnt necessarily hard per se, sometimes you can run into very frustrating and niggling issues that prevent your computer from working or from working at its optimum.

For example, as a newbie, if you forget to put thermal paste on your CPU (or put it on wrong), you could burn up your CPU in a matter of minutes upon bootup. Or it could constantly run hot, thus limiting its performance.

That being said, if you have 2 grand to spend on a new computer, thats more than enough to build a blazingly fast system, top to bottom. I would suggest reading these 'system builder marathon' articles from Toms Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/toms-hardware-supercombo,2973.html basically they pick a price point from $500 to $2000 and try to build the fastest computer they can from it. They list and describe all the components they pick, and even test it performance wise across various programs. As you can see, for less than 2 grand you can build a computer that will totally smoke any game out there right now, and probably last you several years before ever need to start tweaking settings to play games.

But you might not 'need' that 2 grand computer. Let me ask you a question: what desktop setting do you play games at? Unless you game a lot at higher than 1280x800 or so, and are satisfied with that, there isnt any real reason to spend that much on a computer. But if you really crank the settings up high, with full detail and everything on, you will be able to do so with a computer that costs 2 grand.

So my 2009 Asus gaming laptop died tonight. Again, the same problem as last time: a defective motherboard that lasts exactly a year before dying.

What do you guys think would be a good desktop that would be somewhat more powerful? My recently deceased laptop had a 9800 GT card on it but it would be nice to be able to run the latest DirectX.

A 5770 or 460 will stomp your laptop in performance

So my 2009 Asus gaming laptop died tonight. Again, the same problem as last time: a defective motherboard that lasts exactly a year before dying.

What do you guys think would be a good desktop that would be somewhat more powerful? My recently deceased laptop had a 9800 GT card on it but it would be nice to be able to run the latest DirectX.

That's a rip-off. Actually I had an Asus mobo die in me at about 1-1/2 months when I expect 2 to 3 years from a mobo (very reasonable). I stay away from that brand now because of it, since it was a highly rated mobo when I bought it.

$500 or more a year for a computer is nuts. That alone would induce me to DIY desktop.

I'm with you. That's why I'm going with a built desktop now. :lol: My new desktop has an Asus mobo but this time I have a 3-year warranty. If it cruds out again (despite not being a specialized laptop mobo) I'll have to be more done with Asus than I already am.

Top Bottom