1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another noob having problems on Emperor

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Akashic, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Akashic

Akashic Chieftain

Hello, I am yet another newbie. Altough I've already read quite some threads both on forum and on Academy, I still get overruned by AIs military on Emperor. Even with more cities, enemies just bring those evil stacks and I can't stop them :X

-main city war/war/settler/gran/war/war/set/prebuild for gl
    -second city (mostly settler factory) gran/set/set/set...
    -closer cities go for barracks, farther cities for workers/settlers

This gives me a slight advantage on AE, usually got around 10 cities against 7 of most enemies (playing on standard map).
    Gl built, tech 0% till education.

Everything seems to be going well, maybe a few cities won with swordies, but when I get education AI owns me :x. I simply can't build nor research nor create military as fast as AI even if I focus only of those.

5 core cities have marketplace/rax/temple/library
    others have only barracks (a few temples) and pump vets non-stop

In this moment, my fall begins.

What am I doing wrong?

edit.: I tend to go writing-> philosophy (literature as free tech)-> wait till I can buy code of laws-> res republic and change government asap

2. cleverhandle

cleverhandle Chieftain

It sounds to me like your use of the Great Library is holding you back. Your empire or your management of it has problems, most likely in trading or population growth or lack of early military, though maybe elsewhere too. But TGL is plastering over them - until it expires, when you're left out in the cold. There really aren't many situations I've seen at Emperor where TGL is a *necessity*. By treating it like one, you're unable to see whatever the real problem is.

Try playing without building TGL on a fairly typical map and start. Concentrate on finding early contacts and making profitable tech-broker trades. Make sure you're keeping close to the top in total population. Post some saves and see what people have to say about them.

3. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Well it does not look all that wrong to me. I would not argue against a ganary before the first settler, depending on the tiles near you at this level either is workable.

I would not be so quick to get out 4 warriors from the capitol at this level.

I think you could go with only a few barracks all total, at least until wars break out. One or two making troops should do the job for sometime. Far cities seldom need them at this level, unless they face the invaders directly.

I am not that strong on the GL on emperor, but it is ok. You need to get to Rep and that tends to mean researching it yourself. So you got a GL and are still researching hard, what did it do for you?

If you are really making a prebuild and racing right to it and have lots of contacts and can expect to get back filled on those lower techs, ok. In practive I would expect you to need some of those techs to make the AI not feel froggy.

If you have barracks/temples up in a lot of place they can be a drain, so I like to be selective about who gets one.

So either you do not have enough workers to get all the worked tiles improved and or you have to much overhead. This means maint for structures/troops and lux.

In the second age techs cost more, so you need to have gold and multipliers for gold and beakers. Only where they are needed though. If you have too many troops,you should not have problems with wars as long as you manage to stay out of dog piles.

Do you make enough trades and try for monoplies that can be sold to all? Do not be afraid to peddle writing and especially philo. The AI will not be able to be you to the GL, it will not go for lit most of the time and does not have so large a bonus it could built to real fast.

4. Heroes

Heroes Heroes of Might and Magic

One thing about GLib: it's too passive to sit down and just wait for free techs. Whenever you get a new tech which is not known to most AIs, it's your GREAT chance to war against some one (the most advanced or your neighbor), and ally the backwards AIs using your tech. You gain 2 things: an easy military victory because many AIs are helping you, and that those AIs' research slow down quite a lot. When you get used to this strategy, you may feel GLib is too cheating ... :D

5. Akashic

Akashic Chieftain

vmxa, I am building barracks in most cities I create, is that too much? Almost every unit producind city has one and I like to build in new cities before any military unit

Heroes and cleverhandle, I've begun a new game without going for GLibrary, I'll post my status here as soon I put it up alltogether :D

6. Akashic

Akashic Chieftain

Kk, here I go. Dutch, Emperor, Pangea, random oponents with random seed. Nice start as Amsterdam got 2 cows and 1 wheat on plain and a river close by. Seem I already got my settler facotry. War/war/set/granary/set non-stop. Other cities built workers and barracks->units. One ocasional settler on a few cities

Forgot about GLib. The Wheel -> Writing -> Philosophy (CoL as free) -> The Republic ( change gov ). K, science to 0%, time to buy some techs. Stupid AI doesn't make any good deals with me!! Never ever have any money and are never willing to give me gpt, so I end up trading a better tech for a worst without any kind of compensation :mad:

Pic 01: End of expansion. Damn, got no iron. Must take it from incas. Everything is building horsemen atm. Capitol assigned on map.

Pic 02: I got the iron but at the cost of many of my horsemen. Razed inca city and founded a new one to avoid culture flip. Made peace and got me a new tech. Iron assigned on map.

Pic 03: Ottomans declare war on me. I'll make them pay. Oh ****, lost several horsies when trying to invade. Really a lot. Have to research till chivalry by myseld as dumb AI won't trade it with me. Knights!!! Ottomans spearmen fall easily and quickly to me. Soon everyone gang on them, so instead of getting techs I just take everything I can as fast as I can. 5-6 core cities build marketplace/lib/temple, everything else just rax and pump knights and swisses. New adquired cities will just build libs to expand culture, but they seem to never be ready.

Pic 04: Inca declared war on me to capture one city. Smart move huh. Celts declared war on me with a stack of doom of... longbowmen :crazyeye:. Got raped by my cavalries. Allied byzantines and portuguese against Celts. In a few turns Incas are all gone, except for one city. They gave me only 1 (one!!!) tech por peace. Damn. Wondered they would fear me more as my cities outnumbered them 22:1.

Pic 05: Byzantines declared war on me and allied portuguese with them (against me). I allied Celts agains them. My enemies are now allies, my allies are now enemies. Portuguese didn't have saltpeper, so easy prey again for my cavalry. Made peace for only one tech :mad:

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      19.7 KB
      Views:
    • 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      19.6 KB
      Views:
    • 03.JPG
      03.JPG
      File size:
      19.6 KB
      Views:
    • 04.JPG
      04.JPG
      File size:
      20.4 KB
      Views:
    • 05.JPG
      05.JPG
      File size:
      20 KB
      Views:
  7. Akashic

Akashic Chieftain

Now I have the power lead, but I'm still very backwards. In technology I mean. Culture too.

6 core cities got rax/market/lib/univ/a few banks/a few gran/aqued where needed. Close by cities got rax and a few temples and just pump units. 95% of the invaded cities aren't worth a dime except for their resources and lux ( got many of them :D) and haven't even finished their libs yet. I can't really produce that much, I can't research much and I don't really earn too much money. I already went to war with everyone and I'm technologically backwards. Must go for conquest victory. Enemies now got Rifle and other industrial techs and I've just entered IA. Never ever got a leader :mad: , so I am finally just handbuilding my forbbiden palace not that far from my capital and it's near completion. Still on Republic. Army upkeep is really a pain. Swiss mercenary rox. Oh well, this is it, I guess. Any advice? Please?

Btw, I guess the only explanation for me being that powerfull is a severe lack of resources overall. Enemies were smacked because they lacked iron (ottomans), satlpepper (portuguese) or were just severily outnumbered (inca) and not because of any kind of technical expertise or micromanagement from me.

Apologize for grammar mistakes. Apologize for not making pics in last thread all cute and fluffy like people in GotM do, but I don't know how.

Hugz :beer:

8. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Well I would say yes, except for specail games like Always War. If you are not going to be attacking most of the time, you probably need only a few barracks for the cities making units.

Outside of the core cities, you probably are better off making things like cats/trebs/cannons. They do not need a barracks.

So I suspect 2 or 3 cities with a barracks making units is going to be good enough, unless they are low shields or you are at war.

I should say that if you are in monarchy and need MP's, then maybe another town or two will be fine.

9. gunkulator

gunkulator Chieftain

I noticed you selected the Dutch. They are usually one of my favorites but not on a small pangaea map. Their seafaring trait is useless on such a map.

You did the right thing with the horsemen. Securing iron has to be a top priority, especially when you have a UU that needs it.

You didn't mention how much trading you did. Yes, you usually have to trade a tier 3 for a tier 2 tech, but if you trade it to more than 1 civ, it is well worth it.

Better than straight trades, however, is allying civs against each other. Nothing hurts the AI more than war. When you get 2 civs fighting, both suffer. Taking one AI city is often sufficient to eventually get a straight peace deal. Unless you have a target in mind, after one city, let the AIs fight.

10. Akashic

Akashic Chieftain

vmxa, I guess I made too much rax then. Had about 5 cities with them massproducing units from MA till now non-stop. Guess it slowed me down on AA, but it eventually made up in the long run. I fint the use for catas/trebs/cannon limited, as they eventually just slow down my blitzkrieg of knight and cavs. Artillery, on the hand, rox.

gunkulator, I agree with you. Will get another civ next game, was trying around all different ones. And I probably didn't make enough trade. I always had lotsa extra lux, but a) the AI didn't have any money or b) they would never give me techs for them.

This is how the game looks now. The byzantines got crushed and I have about 60-61% of territory. A quick war againt anyone will probably do. Maybe getting those two extra cities from biz on the continent, as I have no navy and don't plan to waste time on building anything to cross the seas to aniquilate portuguese.
    -Damn AI keeps fliping back my cities. Can't eliminate enemies cause won't bother to build navy and go after the isles. Bah. :mad:
    -Would it be wise to switch to communism? ( that is, if the game wasn't so near end ) Even though I have quite a lot of cities, most of them just got a cultural building, dunno if it would be worth to sacrifice core cities ( with mark/lib/univ/fac/etc ) production to corruption.
    -Technologically advanced civilization aren't so advanced when they are left semi-dead with 3 cities. :crazyeye: They still won't trade me all techs for survival, though. They won't trade me even 2 tech for survival!!

Attached Files:

11. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

Communism is great for this strategy of staying a couple techs behind and overrunning your enemies.

But when you reach #1 in population, you can usually stay in Republic and grab the tech lead, making a huge profit selling techs. Stop research when you get to an offensive tech that no one can defend against (Military Tradition, Motorized Transport).

12. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

It is hard to say if you had to many or not. If you put the units into use, then it is fine. 5 is not all that many, unless you had 5 cities at the time you built them.

Bombardment units are (cats/trebs) are fpr slow moving armies and defense. A way to boost kill ratios in hard games, not so much for a straight up emperor game (no variants).

The mini looks like some fairly loose placement, this will slow the research in republic as the unit support will not be there for a long time.