1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another Roman Scenario

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by LuKo, Jul 3, 2010.

1. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

Fifth version (0.01d) is downloadable!

Scenario done with Baldyr's pyScenario. To install just unpack into Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rhye's and Fall of Civilization\Assets\Python (backup files are in "Backup" in case you want to uninstall).

Every feedback is welcome!

Issues:
    -It's a beta so you can expect strange things if you do something unexpected (like not settling Rome)
    -Everything is quite predetermined (but so far every country is playable)
    -Timeline is impossible short to represent all aspects of Rome
    -Playing as Rome is quite difficult especially at first 20 turns (building related UHV condition can be impossible now but I'm not sure)
    -As opposite Carthage may be way too easy now (unless you lose Hannibal :p)

Future plans:
    Spoiler :
    -Balance things a little
    -Expand scenario timeline backward
    -Add GG for every country
    Spoiler :
    Egypt- someone who conquered Izrael
    Persia- Xerxes? Darius?
    Greece- Alexander

Attached Files:

2. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

3. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

4. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Very cool! :goodjob: I say the more the merrier - you will be able to borrow ideas and Triggers from each-other. In the end, you may just end up merging it all into one coherent scenario. Or the user could just pick bits and pieces that he likes and make his own private version. :king:

I'm looking at the script and think that it would improve readability if you used Rhye's constants from the Consts module instead of the actual integer values. But this is of course up to you - use what works best for you.

I haven't actually tested any of this but aren't the in-game messages limited to the Roman player? Because you seem to have made good use of the check() method with the bHuman=True setting.

I can't see any treaty() method forcing Carthage to sign a peace treaty with Rome (as the message says).

Would you like me to give you some helpful pointers as to your script? Mostly they wouldn't improve gameplay or anything, but there are actually some technical things that you could do differently. Or you can just learn this stuff in your own stride. :p Because you're doing some pretty amazing things already, and just the other day you couldn't get anything working. :D

What have you changed in the RiseAndFall module, by the way? :confused:

And you know that you can attach rar archives directly to posts? There is no real advantage of using an external file hosting service.

5. Bonci

Bonci Chieftain

good work! :D

i have a proposal: we could merge our efforts and create a supah scenario what do you think? :)
    lol i read this only now XD

6. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Since its so simple to merge scripts I suggest you work at your separate things for the time being, and compare notes at some point later on. Or you could just divide the workload among yourselves right now, like "you take Carthage and I do Greece". But I wouldn't wanna tell anyone else what to do! :p

7. Bonci

Bonci Chieftain

yeah we could divide the work so we could have a great scenario instead of two mediocres

8. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Well, without any coordination it might end up as a incoherent mess anyway. :rolleyes: But as long as you can manage to cooperate is could work. :goodjob: There would, of course, be disagreements and a need to make compromises.

But two separate scenarios is still better than one, especially since the community could then use these as templates for their own versions.

9. Bonci

Bonci Chieftain

yes but...two scenarios about the exact same thing O_O...if we have the same goal maybe it's better to work together XD

10. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I bet there will be many more scenarios on the Roman Empire... I myself am actually working on a Spartacus mod-scenario right now, when not creating custom methods for you testers. :D (One event only scenario. Easy to merge with any other script.)

11. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

I don't think that merging is possible. Mine is just a try of possibilities of editor and I hope that you'll be able to use anything I've done. I would be proud having the chance to help you creating your scenario. But the real feedback is going to wait until I come back from holidays.

BTW: RFC timeline is impossible short for scenarios. With Hannibal I had to treat 2nd and 3rd Punic War as one (or make a peace for 3 turns...). Has anyone tried editor at Marathon?

12. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

This is for future development. Since the current version of PyScenario is only beta and since RFC Marathon seems to still be in development, it doesn't make any sense at this point.

But since RFC Marathon is likely to become the "new" RFC anyway (with added support for modding and whatnot) the final version will probably be a RFC Marathon application, only. (Anyone working with the original version would have to resort to using the current beta version instead...)

13. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

Wondering if anyone downloaded any version :p Anyway, fourth one is up with AI Rome handling Celtic pressure (at least usually) and minor fixes.

14. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I can tell from experience that the audience for these kind of things is very small - but highly motivated. :p

I think only 10 or so people have downloaded the Sahara scenario in well over a week. How many have actually tried it, you think? :rolleyes:

But once something is "finished" people might get more interested, as few people would wanna install something that isn't properly tested. Because this will only ruin the game. :p

15. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

Next (and probably last, at least for the next two weeks) version is up!

16. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

You're in no hurry to get those methods you requested, then? :p

17. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I'm looking at your script and liking what I see. :king:

In your experience, what does the UNITAI_RESERVE setting do for unit behavior? Because I'm having a hard time getting those damned things to behave! :p

18. scu98rkr

scu98rkr Chieftain

Hey Luko,

I downloaded and played your mod last night as the Romans.

Very nice. The part of the Mediterranean I was playing in felt much bigger as many more events were happening in a small area.

I think this is obviously great as romes focus for many many years was on the western Mediterranean. I think this helps make the world much bigger.

I particularly liked the fact that carthage actually seemed to expand obviously realistically and was a viable foe in the west.

I knew hanibal was obviously coming at some point but was still shocked by the number of troops he recieved !

But I think something went wrong the spearmen/elephant took Milan but the horsemen when off raiding in france and quite quickly met a sticky end including hanibal when this happened all my cities flipped back to me and the spear and horse men dissapeared and suddenly I had a city in southern spain is this meant to happen? It happened in all of 2 turns as well.

I think maybe you have a bit too much gualish pressure and also I think your trying to fit things into too small a time line you need to concentrate on the bigger events and give them more time to play out even if it a-historical. It felt a bit like I wasnt really playing the game any more it was just playing out with out any choices for me.

Also I need to look into this pyscenario. Are we allowed pop ups with choices ?

I think you need to add more choices like conqueor cathage by such and such a date to recieve free legionaries not just give out legionaries.

Possibly the size of the armies is too large as well.

But together a good job cheers.

19. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

Hurray! :)

When you kill Hannibal you get all Carthaginian European cities. Their army should not disappear though. With such a hard timeline pressure I had to fit two Punic wars into one, so you get army next to Carthago after killing Hannibal as well.

Yeah, that sucks but giving more choices needs more modding skills. Still, I hope it gives unhistorical options available as well. My main target is to achieve POSSIBILITY of recreating history (for a cost of some unhistorical scenarios, but hopefully not all of them). Just now conquering Egypt, Judea or Mesopotamia is up to player. You get bonuses for that, have an army (Caesar's) but you don't need to do that and maybe it's better stability-wise to not expand too much. Though, any feedback is welcome as probably I will get back to work when I'm home again :)

20. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

AI unit behavior is devilishly difficult to manage and AFAIK we can only change one setting that affects this. I haven't had much luck with it myself, I could add...

But there might be something I'm missing? :confused:

No, not within the context of PyScenario. To do this with Python code requires some understanding of Object-Oriented Programming, and that is not the beginners course...

PyScenario isn't really meant to be used as a back-up Quests system. I do think LuKo is doing some interesting things with it, however. :king: