Yiddish

Ajidica

High Quality Person
How did Yiddish develop? I know is is a Hebrew/German/Slavic hybrid language. But traditionaly the Jews had a relativly internal culture so why would they semi-officialy adopt a language that was not the native? Or why would they even develop it in the first place?

You got a socially isolated group of people speaking a Germanic dialect on the Rhine. Increase time, watch as linguistic innovations appear within the isolated dialect and mainstream dialects which are not exchanged between the two. Mutually intelligibility decreases, isolated dialect becomes marker of social group. Bam, new language.

...that's hideously simplified, but yes, isolation, whether geographic, social, or otherwise, tends to make dialects diverge.

Also, it's not a "hybrid" language; the language itself is fundamentally Germanic, although it does have Hebrew and Slavic loan words. Hebrew itself was long dead by the time of the diaspora, so Jews adapted the local languages; you see this in Persian, Greek, Iberian, Arabic, et cetera. But the social isolation in each of the communities caused the Jewish dialects to diverge from the mainstream ones and become separate languages.

So the reason you said before - the internal culture of the Jews - is precisely why Yiddish exists. They simply adapted the local languages first. Yiddish diverged from High German during the transition from Middle to New High German; at the beginning it was pretty much just Middle High German with Hebrew words included.

Thanks. It looks like I made the mistake of assuming it was Hebrew based.

How did Yiddish develop? I know is is a Hebrew/German/Slavic hybrid language. But traditionaly the Jews had a relativly internal culture so why would they semi-officialy adopt a language that was not the native? Or why would they even develop it in the first place?

It's not official. AFAIK, it's not even standardized. Yiddish varies so much depending on the nation of origin of the speaker that it's barely intelligible.

The Zionist movement made an attempt to standardise Yiddish in the 19th century, but the resurgence of Hebrew killed the attempt very early on. Written Yiddish is fairly standardised these days though, based on those early attempts at Yiddish-language newspapers and the like.

The Zionist movement made an attempt to standardise Yiddish in the 19th century, but the resurgence of Hebrew killed the attempt very early on. Written Yiddish is fairly standardised these days though, based on those early attempts at Yiddish-language newspapers and the like.

I don't think anyone actually speaks that brand of Yiddish today.

To my knowledge, Jewish people rarely used Hebrew for laypeople purposes during the disapora, instead different communities spoke variations on local languages of various degrees of divergence.

Yiddish is merely a Germanic one, there's others such as Ladino (Judeo-Spanish, the Wikipedia is hilarious), Lusitanic (Judeo Portuguese), Judeo-Arabic, Judeo-Persian, etc. Even Judeo-Marathi.

You're telling me theres a distinction between Judeo-Portuguese and Judeo-Spanish?

I don't think anyone actually speaks that brand of Yiddish today.
No one spoke it then either. It was an attempt at standardisation that never took off. I know several Yiddish speakers who can read it, but they certainly don't talk like it.

You're telling me theres a distinction between Judeo-Portuguese and Judeo-Spanish?
Of course there is. There's a distinction between normal Portuguese and Spanish, isn't there?

For the record, Judeo-Spanish sounds effing hilarious! I don't understand it, but I love it!

Is there? :p
Even I can tell that there are numerous differences in the two despite speaking neither, so yes. Romanian and Italian sound more similar to me than Portuguese and Spanish. A Brazilian ex of mine couldn't understand Spanish, yet I know numerous Romanians who can chat with Italians in both their respective languages quite easily.

Is there? :p

Yes. I can't understand spoken Portuguese, it's phonetically quite different. I think I do better with Italian than I do with Portuguese. This may be different for native-speakers.

Top Bottom