yipee, first win on regent, the stratagy i used:

Kietharr

Prince
I have never won at a regent level game untill just an hour ago, i have gotten close several times but someone always got a diplomatic victory or a space victory before me.

I played as china, which now i know is a godsent civ, the industrious workers made sure that i always had very productive territory, militaristic is great for the cheap barracks (even though i seldom used them in this game) also i belive industrious gives a slight sheild production bounus (my best producing city was around 60 shields per turn)

I started next to a desert, i moved several tiles over with my settler to get to a river, i set down beijing and started making a warrior to scout with.

I soon found persia, next to some dyes that i desprately needed (i have two citys, persia has two, most other civs have more than 5) i attack and nearly destroy persia, but they get a settler out before i can catch it, i gave peace and set up my capitol as a settler factory, i find india and babylon, who found the french and english on a smaller continent about 7 tiles away, current leader: England.

I am very lucky with iron, and i control about 6 tiles of it, even moreso with horses, which i have seven tiles of.

I start building horsemen to upgrade to riders, i have around 8 citys now, the other civs have 9-11 (other than persia, which still has two) i get my horsemen to attack and destroy persia, now i have several elite horsemen and one leader which i made an army with, i set science to 0% because i couldnt keep up, i had 150 GPT so i had more than enough to buy techs, however i still had gold problems with upgrading obsolete musketmen to riflemen later.

I bought my techs almost exculsively from america as soon as a suicide gallye found them and the greeks, they fought the greeks in a small war early on, and the greeks keep threating me to give them stuff, i never give in to demands, 1st place is england, but i'm gaining alot more points per turn than they are, i'll catch up soon

Then i decide that i need more territory in the mid middle ages, i decide that babylon wil do, i get a grand army of 15 riders and decimate their workforce and take most of their citys, india takes advantage of this and takes two smaller citys of babylons, babylon is destroyed, soon after this i research military tradition for myself and sell it to other civs to get me into the industrial age, i have a great momentum going, i am snowballing into the lead, i lead england by 50 points now, and that lead goes up by quite a bit by the time the industrial age ends.

as soon as i buy steam power (950 gold and world map, ouch) i find that i am EXTREMELY lucky with recorces, 5 coals :goodjob: i get a bunch of railroads going, i have over 20 workers, mostly stolen from babylon and persia.

During the mid industrial age i fall greviously behind in techs, they're all almost in the modern age and i'm mid industrial age, so i decide to beat some tech out of india, i send in 15 calvary and a dozen infantry, i take one indian city and destroy most of their army, i beat enough tech out of them to get nearly into the modern age, they had a MPP with france, who had a few annoying citys near my territory, which i took, france was nearly destroyed by the english who had a MPP with me, america destroyed greece just for the heck of it.

i start the modern age with fusion, i start researching for myself because i have over 250GPT, i got it in about 5 turns, i traded it for rocketry and ecology, i got a spy in india and found that they had no up to date units, however they have MPP with england, whom i do not want to fight, a few turns later i get the UN, and devise a devious plan :devil2:

i wait for indias MPP on england to wear off, i try to get a spy in england, it fails and they declared war just as i planned, i got india and america to go to war with england, england destroyed france, i call a UN vote, scince the default stance during war is fureous and i was polite to india and america i got their votes, england abstained and i won diplomaticly in the early 1900's

BTW i am the pink civ

Attachments

• Civpwnage.JPG
    Civpwnage.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 422
great :goodjob: now that youve got your warm up,are you gonna play a sid game? :evil:

Cataphract887 said:
great :goodjob: now that youve got your warm up,are you gonna play a sid game? :evil:

Cant, only got civ3, no expansions or patches, but sid, isnt that the extremely hard one, even harder than diety?

i think regent to sid is a bit of a jump!! i would wait until you have won around 20 regent games and then try moving upto monarch. I dont know why but even moving up just one level takes quite some getting used to.

i get a bunch of railroads going, i have over 20 workers, mostly stolen from babylon and persia.

This does not compute. Merely "over 20 workers", especially with many of them half-speed workers (slaves), does not allow one to get a bunch of railroads going. That's doubly true in a large empire like you appear to have.

Triple (seriously) the number of workers you build, and you're probably ready for Monarch. Too few workers is a terrible drain on a civilization.

Arathorn

once i got to replacable parts the difference between my workers and slaves was only about 1-2 turns, i had all but that strip west of india fully developed.

Kietharr,
What Arathorn is telling you is that Monarch and even Emperor will be easy should you build much more workers (earlier in the game better for you).
Most of the good players will advise to build at least 1 to 2 Industrial workers per city during the expansion phase.
Faster you want to expand more workers you will need to train.

JMK said:
Kietharr,
What Arathorn is telling you is that Monarch and even Emperor will be easy should you build much more workers (earlier in the game better for you).
Most of the good players will advise to build at least 1 to 2 Industrial workers per city during the expansion phase.
Faster you want to expand more workers you will need to train.

wouldn't that be a drain on the settler expansion phase? or are settler and workers equally important?

Settlers are top priority, but after those settlers go out and found new cities you can automatically build two workers. Unless they wont grow to size two after ten turns then build something else. Once you're settler factory(ies) are done making settlers switch tehm over to workers and pop out about 10-20 more. I usually have about 50-60 workers by this time. Usually enough to last me the rest of the game on a Standard map on Emperor difficulty.

citizen001 said:
wouldn't that be a drain on the settler expansion phase? or are settler and workers equally important?
Lets assume you have a settler factory, so you are able to build worker in 2 turns and settler in 4 turns.
I advocate to build a worker and a settler. You noticed that by building a worker first I would delay the settler by 2 turns, yes this is right, but look now what your worker can do during the 4 turns your settler is being trained.
Your worker can build a road allowing your settler to move faster, so at the end you did not delay your settler for 2 turns, but for only 1 turn as you have been able to build a road.
Now your worker is building another road allowing the next settler to move even faster, but roading is not the only thing your worker can do, he can also irrigate and mine, allowing your cities to grow faster, and your settler to be build faster, you see the point?

I would advocate building both settler factories and worker factories. You need more shields to produce settlers than workers, so set aside a couple of high food, low shield cities to build workers during your expansion phase, and switch your settler factories to worker factories when you've run out of room to build new cities.

Top Bottom