YnAMP Giant Earth but restricted to Old world with world wrap

Brl

Chieftain
Hi, new to the forums, I'm really interested in playing a "if Columbus was right about geography" map of the world where the Americas don't exist and travelling west of Europe lands you in Asia. I've been using YnAMP's Giant Earth map for the past few months and have really enjoyed its size but limiting the map to the Old World setting only establishes east-west borders which block travelling from Europe to Asia. Understandably the Old World map is just based on a restricted larger map hence resulting in borders but I'm just wondering whether or not there is a way to implement world wrap on such a map or not or whether it is possible to copy certain sections of existing maps while adjusting the map size with world wrap so that I can circumnavigate the smaller world? I really think this would be a fun map to play on as Victoria colonising Siberia or even maybe Norway attacking Japan with longships lol.

tldr - Is it possible to wrap a small section (only the Old World) of a map like Gedemon's Giant Earth and if not is there a way to copy sections of his map so that I can simply adjust the size and make a small map of Earth if the Americas never existed? Thanks for the help!

I suppose the first question is, in what way do you want Columbus to be right about geography? If you only want to remove the Americas, then it'd probably be a relatively simple exercise to go into Worldbuilder with an existing Earth map and just turn all of the Americas (and the associated coastal tiles) into ocean, which you could probably figure out how to do yourself within an hour or two without any previous modding knowledge.

On the other hand, if you want to extend it to also make the world smaller than it is (as Columbus believed it to be), you'd probably need some more knowledge, as you can't just modify an existing map. In order to get the right shapes, you'd have to build a new map from scratch, which would require you to know how to create a real-world accurate map in Civ VI in the first place. I'm not aware of either existing, but I've never looked into Civ VI maps in the first place so that doesn't mean much.

Hi, new to the forums, I'm really interested in playing a "if Columbus was right about geography" map of the world where the Americas don't exist and travelling west of Europe lands you in Asia. I've been using YnAMP's Giant Earth map for the past few months and have really enjoyed its size but limiting the map to the Old World setting only establishes east-west borders which block travelling from Europe to Asia. Understandably the Old World map is just based on a restricted larger map hence resulting in borders but I'm just wondering whether or not there is a way to implement world wrap on such a map or not or whether it is possible to copy certain sections of existing maps while adjusting the map size with world wrap so that I can circumnavigate the smaller world? I really think this would be a fun map to play on as Victoria colonising Siberia or even maybe Norway attacking Japan with longships lol.

tldr - Is it possible to wrap a small section (only the Old World) of a map like Gedemon's Giant Earth and if not is there a way to copy sections of his map so that I can simply adjust the size and make a small map of Earth if the Americas never existed? Thanks for the help!
I don't remember if I planned to do something in the setup menu for that, but I think you can use a quick workaround with a text editor like notepad (or a good one like notepad++)

go in the mod's Giant Earth folder (if installed from steam that would be "[your Steam folder]\SteamApps\workshop\content\289070\871861883\Maps\GiantEarth\"), find the GiantEarth.lua file and open it with a text editor.

then find that line (near the beginning of the file)
Code:
local g_WrapX    = MapConfiguration.GetValue("WrapX")

and change it to
Code:
local g_WrapX    = true

(all sections of that map will now use world wrap)

I don't remember if I planned to do something in the setup menu for that, but I think you can use a quick workaround with a text editor like notepad (or a good one like notepad++)

go in the mod's Giant Earth folder (if installed from steam that would be "[your Steam folder]\SteamApps\workshop\content\289070\871861883\Maps\GiantEarth\"), find the GiantEarth.lua file and open it with a text editor.

then find that line (near the beginning of the file)
Code:
local g_WrapX    = MapConfiguration.GetValue("WrapX")

and change it to
Code:
local g_WrapX    = true

(all sections of that map will now use world wrap)

Thanks so much, it works perfectly!

Top Bottom