1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Yoking wishfulness to vast expenditure - Harper and Conservatives Alter Gun Registry

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Goonie, May 17, 2006.

1. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

An example of one of Rex Murphy's pieces. I am always delighted to either listen to or read his thoughts. There are times that I do not agree with him, but I always appreciate the thought he appears to put into his beliefs--something lacking with a lot of people.

The Conservatives under Harper did not scrap the gun registry, but it is serious altered. Thoughts and opinions?

Can anyone guess my position? :p

edit: Yes I could have put a neutral fact laden article up, I just felt like spicing things up a little. Please do not be utterly offended at the fact I used an opinion piece. If you disagree, please say so.

2. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

Well without invoking every Western Canadian stereotype out there (Harper's from Calgary IIRC), it's hard to judge the man. The Gun Registry was a Liberal failure and with a minority government and an election in 2008 Harper can't do squat and is stuck trying to appease anyone and everyone.

The only minority governments with balls are the ones that fail, quickly.

3. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    It is probably worth reminding people that just because human-caused global warming exists doesn't automatically make the Kyoto Protocols a good idea. We can't get caught up in it or say that the only possible reason to oppose it is disbelief in global warming or a desire to profit.

4. Che Guava

Che Guava The Juicy Revolutionary

Gotta love Rex :)

He actually was born & raised in Toronto, and moved to Alberta to go to university.

I don't thin that Harper is really trying to please everyone, it just makes more sense to fix what you have instead of getting rid of it completely. I mean, we already spent a cool billion on it, wouldn't it be a greater waste to just pull the plug? No, Harper is too much of an economist for that....

All Harper is doing is stalling until conditions are right for an election. he managed to get his budget pushed through witht he help of the Bloc, i don't think he'll put anything else really seriouson the table until he's sure he can win a majority

5. IglooDame

IglooDame Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Setting aside my pro-gun bias, it would seem to make more sense to fix the program rather than chuck it completely, but it does make one wonder exactly how a program like that could derail THAT badly?

6. Che Guava

Good point. I don't really know the ins and outs of the system, but it would have to be reeeeeaally f'd if they couldn't reform it at all.....

7. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

It was so badly derailed, partially because no one wanted to comply. I have NO idea how they spent building a system no one was using, though.

To me, it makes sense to get people to register if they want to, and criminally punish those who don't register later. If all new weapons were registered (easy enough to do, by law), then eventually the ratio of registered weapons would increase.

8. Che Guava

Exactly. I think we have to view the gun registry, in its current form or a modified version, as more of an investment that probably won't show any dividends for at least a few years.

9. IglooDame

IglooDame Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

...if at all. :mischief:

10. Che Guava

Oh, hush you, we need at least some gun control! ;)