1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Yorgos' sounds for FFH2

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Yorgos, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Yorgos

Yorgos imagine...

I recently uploaded all the selection/order sounds I made for FFH2 (many of them already added in the game) to the File Database and I created a thread for them, which includes all their links:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=184239
    The main reason was to let other modders use them as well. But I'd like to get feedback, suggestions and requests from FFH2 members/fans, since my goal is to help improving this mod. So please keep FFH2 related discussion here. What do you think of the sounds? What should be changed? What else do you think it should be added?

2. Ploeperpengel

Ploeperpengel academic precarity

Those sounds are fantastic! hope you don't mind me utilizing them as well?:)
    Also do you take requests? I could use sounds for orcs and goblins squabbling, crying "Get'em!" and "We'll show'em!"

3. Yorgos

Yorgos imagine...

Thanks, of course you can use them for another project. About requests, I can only make "generic" sounds, eg specific kind of units or moods, not specific words. That's because most of them are conversions from various sources. I modify them when needed, but I'm not making them from scrach. So sorry, I can't make an orc saying "Get'em!" (unless I can find such a sound).

Edit: However, I may be able to make some alternative sounds. I'll check it out.

4. Ploeperpengel

Ploeperpengel academic precarity

Some orcvoices squabbling would already be great. If you encounter anything like that please tell me!
    Anyway thx for the sounds made so far, very useful:)

5. Bad Player

Bad Player Chieftain

Firstly I want to say it would be great having heaps of different sounds for units I think! :)

(Kael has mentioned this before) GolemOrder0-00, GolemOrder0-01, and GolemOrder0-02 don't sound FFH2ish but I like the other golem sounds.

Demon2Select-002 sounds too dwarvish. I like the phrase however - can you use the Demon2Order voice for it (angry maybe? maybe not?)?

Female2 sounds good for a warrior imo and I like female1. I think female3 sounds too computerish maybe? I do like female3's phrases - most of them are really good! I think though that Losha Valas should sound more aristocratic perhaps?

The elves (male1elven) sound good without sounding cliched.

I don't know about Male2holy's accent kinda sounds a bit weird.. But his last phrases sound good.

Male3Select-003 would be great for when you attack! Especially if the enemy could hear his comment (in multiplayer)! :grin:

Does Male5Select-001 and Male5Select-002 sound a bit dwarvish?

I'm not sure who you would use Male6 for - some of the sounds are kind of hard to picture with an unit.. Maybe someone strange like Hippus :p

Is the evil jester going to be used for the harlequin unit maybe? (Balseraphs)

I like the different spell sounds - dunno if I like the entropy spell sounds though... Can you please explain what they are of? You don't seem to have a mind1 sound... Maybe water1 could be more simple and water2 not have that high pitched sound in it?

I like the first voice for undead2!

Basically love it! Just giving my opinion on things I would have changed.

6. BCalchet

BCalchet Human, all too human.

Hmm... sounds to me as if most of the sounds so far are stolen right out of neverwinter nights, yet I see no mention of this anywhere - perhaps giving credit to the original creators might be a good idea?

7. Tortanick

Tortanick Chieftain

The golem Exterminate! Exterminate! was brillaint. I agree its not really FfHish but maby as an easter egg?

Mythril golem vs weak or undefended large city?

I didn't like the evil jester though, they were takeing everything serously when they should treat everything like a joke.

8. Yorgos

Yorgos imagine...

Yeah, most of them originate from NWN, some of them slightly modified. I'd rather avoid bringing this up because some people are way too sensitive to piracy. That's why I'm not giving the credit while I'd love to – I agree it’s just to give the proper credit. Now, copywrite rules serve some reasons, the most important being that the companies won’t lose any potential profit. Using a few minutes of sound doesn't do any harm to anyone; on the contrary it's more like an advertisement. And anyway, about 50% of the material posted in these forums is (modified) conversions; we could have accomplished nothing without them. I hate apologizing for this... anyway, I know that if a moderator thinks that's a problem (which I find unlikely), he/she will contact me.
    Edit: OK, you're right, I added the credit in the sounds' main thread.

9. Kael

Kael Chieftain

I would prefer credit and risk a nasty letter from the creator than trying to hide it. At worst they will ask us to not use their material and I would gladly remove it. But until then I would rather people realize where this waonderful material comes from (and hopefully they will buy Neverwinter Night 2 when it comes out to hear more).

10. Yorgos

Yorgos imagine...

Actually I agree, but I can hardly think of anything else. In fact they remind me of a famous line from Kubrick's A Space Odyssey: "Dave... stop Dave". Perhaps metalic sounds for mithril golems, wooden for wood golems etc?
    I never thought it this way, especially since it's the same voice in all demon2 sounds. But anyway, anyone using the sounds is free to modify them as he/she sees fit. The sounds' arrangement is just what I think it's best, but you don't have to follow my way.
    Possibly, but it's the best I've found so far. I'll see if I can come out with something better.
    They do. But they are also wonderfully malevolent! They would work well for evil dwarves (something like the Chaos Dwarves in civ3's Warhammer mod).
    About entropy I tried to make something sounding offencive and slightly terryfying. There is no mind1 because it's actually the charm spell, and Kael has already a very nice sound for that. About water1, note this means the spring spell, and I like water2 sound. But if more people agree with you, I'll probably update them.
    That's what I was thinking of, but that's for Kael to decide. However I'm not very pleased with them (Tortanick has a point), but they are probably better than generic sounds.
    I couldn't agree more, and that's what I did now.