You can free a gifted city ?

Karmah

Emperor
Supporter
Or did I missed some choice menu somewhere ?

context : I just got gifted Amsterdam by the Japanese as part of a peace treaty. Its a ciy state , I'd rather be its suzerain.

Alrigh't does not make much sense gameplay wise but ok. It could sort of do in kind of 'real life ' argument about the razing part, you are signing a treaty where the city is gifted to you , there is an implicit clause that you are not to torch it. But about liberating it makes no sense at all.

One turn before you DOW on an AI civ you hate, concentrate your force near this CS, trade this CS to this AI leader. Get all the gold, relics and any useful great works in the deal and don't bother the gpt or luxury. Then declare war, pillage everything, take back the CS and liberate it.

You gain all gold of your enemy and prevent the AI from gold-purchasing units, may get some relics and great works, get more from pillaging, gain the suzerain status of a CS, and the +5 dip rating for liberating a city. I actually consider this one of the biggest exploits in this game, and limit myself using only once per game.

Well... just realized you can't liberate a city from party A to party B if you are at war with B. That's a bother.

Eat it Philip.

Edit: and since its Madrid, a capital, now I can't trade it to anyone. Not even Spain or Rome (who took it from Spain). Hello? Spain doesn't want their capital back?

Reload coming...

Last edited:
Or did I missed some choice menu somewhere ?

context : I just got gifted Amsterdam by the Japanese as part of a peace treaty. Its a ciy state , I'd rather be its suzerain.

Gift it back to them then liberate it.

This happens a lot when I don't have a Protectorate War option. I re gift the CS to a Civ I am not on good terms with in exchange for another City of theirs (or 2 if they are willing). Then when I go to war with them usually because they Declare it on me. I have a City to Liberate. I can use to counter most of my Warmongering after I Cap their Capital :p

Top Bottom