1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

You can just block Rock Bands with your units.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Archon_Wing, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

In one of my games, China did something pretty clever, unintentionally, or not. He just camped warrior monks on his districts, and his other districts were underdeveloped so I couldn't send rock bands to them. It only worked because he had some random wonders that he didn't occupy.

Should this be changed? Maybe they should work like religious units. This makes Rock Bands trivially easy to counter. Added to the high faith cost and RNG aspect of them, this pretty much means they only work on an opponent that is throwing the game.

2. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Yes, I noticed that too. It seems worth considering pairing Rock bands up with a mechanized infantry unit in case support is needed for clearing out the venue before the performance and, for example, cue in with cheers and applause. :)

Btw, has anyone seen AI Rockbands in your own territory? I wonder, if two opposing Rock bands met, would they initiate a rap battle? Sorry, rock battle :lol:

3. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

The tie-breaker should be a dance off, during which having the Bolshoi Theatre gives you an auto-win.

acluewithout and MrRadar like this.
  4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It occurred to me as well that you could block potential venues with cheap units. I haven't seen it done in practice though.

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Do you even need to block rock bands? Has anyone seen the AI use one? I haven't seen one in two complete games.

Sagax likes this.
  6. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

It's annoying when the AI blocks off my rock bands with their religious units though--they didn't budge either.

7. Archon_Wing

That is its own problem.

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Think hard before changing a rule. What is the AI suddenly starts using them in a patch?... you take my domestic tourists and I'll take yours.
    Normal tourism is just a "hey everyone, come to my country" but rock bands are specific... "Hey china, start listing to my culture.... or block me with tanks"
    I quite like the idea of The entire soviet army being deployed to stop Muse from playing.

Stilgar08, Kjimmet, jozef57 and 4 others like this.
  9. Archon_Wing

If the AI starts using them, then I'd actually be amazed that they're presenting a threat and send a thank you to Firaxis.

But I think they already have the right foundation for it, if they work like religious units there'd be little problem. I would just use my rock bands to fight theirs.

And you don't need a tank. A guy with a club or a writer does the same.

10. lordhaw

lordhaw Chieftain

Yes I have seen the AI using them, but only to other AI's. I have not as of yet seen a single rock band in my territory. Which is nice because I had my own band Quiet Revolution have the worldwide tour to end all worldwide tours!

George Abitbol likes this.
  11. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

They should work like religious units, on their own layer, with the same fighting mechanism. It works:
    -If at war, you can "condemn heretics" and murder the band before they reach their venue.
    -You should be able to defend against them with your own rock bands, where they fight using an epic rap battle

12. lordhaw

lordhaw Chieftain

A battle of the bands would be a cool thing to do that's for sure!

13. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Hmm rock bands getting blocked by other units, and presumably blocking other units. Why does that sound like a problem they already had to address?

Banazir864 likes this.
  14. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

Last night Kongo sent multiple Rock Bands to perform in my lands. I was pleasantly surprised. I wonder if it had anything to do with me being about 30 turns away from a CV?

Ivan Hunger likes this.
  15. JJOne

JJOne Prince

One Pac, two Pac, three Pac, four
    Four Pac, three Pac, two Pac, one. :goodjob:

MrRadar likes this.
  16. teakbois

teakbois Prince

in 2 of my 3 games was under non stop assault by rock bands. One of which was a culture win and the other was a diplo win that was close to a culture win. Seems like AI isn't clueless with these.

MrRadar likes this.
  17. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

The AI used rock bands relentlessly in my game

MrRadar likes this.
  18. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I've received notifications about them, but fewer from 11 other civs combined than from my own bands - so they're not using them at an intensity where they will actually accomplish anything. I've seen Khmer rock bands sitting around in their own territory, but they may have to wait until the 2000s to break out in America. I don't even know if any of their bands are called Dengue Fever.

Of course this might be different if the AI didn't have bad luck with its rolls in my game and kept losing the bands. Mine have mostly been good for 2-3 performances each.

Victoria likes this.
  19. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

It also seems strangely appropriate to have rock bands being blocked by religious units. :D

20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I've seen them in 2 of my games. My games that end real early I don't see them.

I finally had some success with rock bands my most recent game. I swear using the default names ends up with better results. All my custom name bands die.

Victoria and MrRadar like this.