You can make Firefox block pop-ups, for good!

vbraun

Raytracing
I found this webpage: http://www.petebevin.com/archives/2005/03/10/firefox_popups.html

Like you, I love Firefox for many reasons, including popup blocking. So over the last few weeks I’ve been surprised to see occasional popups.

It turns out that some clever people figured out that you could launch popups from Flash, getting around the Firefox default settings.

Fortunately, you can get around it:

1. Type about:config into the Firefox location bar.
2. Right-click on the page and select New and then Integer.
3. Name it privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
4. Set the value to 2.

The possible values are:

* 0: Allow all popups from plugins.
* 1: Allow popups, but limit them to dom.popup_maximum.
* 2: Block popups from plugins.
* 3: Block popups from plugins, even on whitelisted sites.

No more pop-ups! :D

I go to newgrounds which usually gives me at least a couple of popups. No popups at all. I haven't gotten any popups in the last few hours since I used this. This is good :goodjob:.

Chairman Meow said:
I've heard a lot of people complaining about popups getting through using Flash, but I've never seen it happen. Might be because I heavily use the Adblock extension...

Same here, Though on occasion I do get windowed pop-up ads pop in from time to time which is realy annoying.

Wouldn't it block some wanted popups? Because sometimes if I'm going to download something a window has to popup to initiate the download.

Dabomb18359 said:
Wouldn't it block some wanted popups? Because sometimes if I'm going to download something a window has to popup to initiate the download.
No, this add-on only blocks pop-ups that come from plugins such as flash.

Top Bottom