You can win a diplomatic victory with 18 points.

Odin's Eye

Chieftain
I'm not sure how well known this is, but I just made an odd discovery. Apparently, the diplomatic victory triggers the moment you hit 20/20 points, even if you lost the +/- 3 point resolution and end up at 18 or 19 points by the end of the session.

I was playing a game as Pericles on Immortal and had 18 diplomatic victory points. I had about 1,500 favor, which I didn't think was quite enough to brute force a vote for the 3 victory points against the no votes of everyone else. When the last session of the world congress came around, there were 3 proposals, the last one being the +/- 3 point resolution. I put minimum votes in the first two proposals and actually voted against myself for the 3 points on the theory that I couldn't win yet but maybe I could waste everyone else's favor and come back in the next session to give myself the points.

The next thing I know, the diplomatic victory video is playing. Apparently, I won the vote on the first two proposals, which put me at 20 victory points, then the -3 point resolution passed, dropping me back to 18 points (17, but I "won" the vote so I got a point for that).

This might be marginally useful going forward. If you are at 18 or 19 points but think you are going to lose the +/- 3 point resolution, it might actually be worth going all in on the first two resolutions to get yourself over the 20 point threshold even though you will lose 3 points on the last proposal.

Spoiler Screenshots :

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.55.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.55.48 AM.png

Yep. Had the same experience. The WC adds or subtracts points in the order of the resolutions passed as they appear on the Diplo screen.

Not sure that's the best way to do it but at least it means you can skip one of those godawful Diplo victory resolutions.

Top Bottom