You can't stop progress! Scientists develop synthetic whale vomit.

Blue Emu

GroFAZ
Scientists at the University of British Columbia have isolated a gene from the DNA of the Balsam Fir Tree which will enable them to replace ambergris with an equally effective synthetic compound; potentially revolutionizing the perfume industry. This news should come as a relief to any whales on the forum.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/fa...uld+shake+perfume+industry/6421172/story.html

Whale vomit, a key ingredient in perfume, could be left out at sea as researchers have isolated a tree compound that could replace the odd ingredient.

The discovery made by researchers at the University of British Columbia identified a gene in balsam fir trees that could eliminate the need for ambergris — a strong perfume fixative created from a regurgitated mixture of seashells, fish bones and a sticky inner-stomach substance that turns into a rock-like object once it reacts with sea water.

Joerg Bohlmann, a professor at UBC and lead researcher at the school's Michael Smith laboratories, said enzymes found in the resin of the tree bark, once isolated, were used to create a synthetic compound that replaces ambergris.

"We are now able to isolate the one biocatalyst that can create the compound without need to harvest from a natural source," said Bohlmann. "This creation of the compound in a lab would ensure that the animal is never hunted if the product cannot be found naturally and as well would protect the balsam fir from extinction."

The distinctly scented ambergris — bearing a musky, sweet earthy aroma — clings to fabrics and is added to high-end perfumes to help the scent last longer on skin.

Massimo Marcone, a professor in the department of food sciences at the University of Guelph in Ontario, says although there are synthetic substitutes for ambergris, small companies will continue to use the product for the odour it provides the perfume.

"The fixatives make the notes of the perfume last longer and less volatile and this can be easily replicated," said Marcone. "But small manufacturers prefer the ambergris because the substitutes miss the complexity of the natural smell. Depending on the grading, a gram of ambergris can cost up to $50."

Darren Praznik, CEO and president of the Canadian Cosmetic Toiletry and Fragrance Association, says the creation of synthetic compounds is vital in producing environmentally sound products.

"With the difficulty in obtaining compounds in volumes, it is easy to put a group of animals or plants in danger," said Praznik.

"Fragrance is composed of hundreds of small materials so synthetic molecules should be created."

Bohlmann said although ambergris is collected by hand along the shores of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, its use in perfume is controversial.

"This new compound would eliminate the fear of source depletion that is only slowly regenerated," said Bohlmann. "Without fear of losing the plant life, plant-based products could eliminate animal-based products entirely."

The research will be published Friday in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
It makes me proud to be a Canadian!

Yes! Now you can synthesise whale vomit it's one less reason to keep the whales alive!

Ambergris is harvested after the whale has secreted it, isn't it? So shouldn't this have no impact on whale slaughter?

I'm curious as to why I haven't heard about huge whale factory farms where they strap in whales of all sizes, force feed them food and make them vomit. They could be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, I don't envy the man or woman who's job it is to make them vomit...

Must have been a slow news day.

Actually, this belongs in Science Talk… wonder why nobody posts there.

If this is the sort of stuff that gets posted there, I'm not surprised. :lol:

If this is the sort of stuff that gets posted there, I'm not surprised. :lol:

:lol: I was going to ask if this was really news for Serious OT. But it's true, Sci/Tech would be the most appropriate forum for this.

I don't really see how this helps whales, either. It doesn't sound like any efforts have been made to intentionally make whales puke for the sake of perfumes. But, perhaps this is an area where ignorance is bliss.

Ambergris is harvested after the whale has secreted it, isn't it? So shouldn't this have no impact on whale slaughter?

Well, there would be less ships prowling around whales looking for ambergris. That means less vibrations to disrupt their communication via whale song. Although I'm not sure how much ambergris is even used nowadays instead of just synthetic compounds.

"Life is extinct on other planets because their scientists were more advanced than ours." -Unkown

In Order to save the whales we must breed with them.

Source.

*After all the trees which produce this compound have been chopped down*

Scientists have just discovered that one of the primary ingredients for making perfume has been discovered in whale vomit. Now all the trees can be saved!

Up next: Horse vomit.

If anyone wants to know, this research was funded by tax dollars (or at least by a university that is funded by tax dollars). This is why I don't support public funding of education.

Wow. So, sometimes stuff like this is produced, sometimes you get vaccines. But let's hack down all of it.

Wow. So, sometimes stuff like this is produced, sometimes you get vaccines. But let's hack down all of it.

What? No. Vaccines are important enough that they will get private funding. You are aware that sometimes things can get done without government doing them, right?

Ah, so just because something good can be done by private individuals the government should stand aside. I like that logic.

Top Bottom