1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

You Don't Mess With The Zohan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Metal Alloy Man, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

A voice of reason in the darkness.

@ others: Do yourself a favor and watch 'stir crazy' instead, it's on AMC right now.

2. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

Adam Sandler is terrible and from the trailers it just seemed offensive in all respects. I just don't find these trashy movies funny at all. They're just scraping the bottom of the barrel and that's no good.

3. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Err...

Your post implies that you went to see it since you have an opinion on it that it wasn't good. And since you are not pathetic, I can only conclude that you paid good money to go see a movie you knew was going to suck. Why would you do that?

4. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I haven't gone and seen it. I know a priori that it sucks.

5. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

I thought it looked really bad from the trailers.

6. OttoManD

OttoManD Prince

I find a good rule of thumb is to assume an inverse relationship between the quality of the movie and the number of ads for it.

7. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

Normally I would agree with you, that you can't judge it without seeing it, but it's an Adam Sandler movie in which he plays an Israeli anti-terrorist officer who becomes a hairdresser. It was doomed before the script was written.

8. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

I don't know where this idea comes from that you must witness something to pass judgement on it. It is quite possible to evaluate something based on a spectrum of expert criticism, is it not? There are many things that I have not personally witnessed but I have passed judement on it. For example, although I have never personally witnessed a rape, I'm sure it is bad. Now, do I need to rape someone or witness a rape to know this? No.

It is entirely possible to judge something based on outside information. Quit with this "you must have gazed upon it with thine own eyes to pass judgement!" BS. That's just a line of crap used by people who do not want you to be rational about an issue. They would prefer a personal, emotional response to one which is researched and considered from a moral perspective. Such analysis is generally no good for their position, so they demand 1st hand knowledge or 'shut up'.

9. bhsup

bhsup Deity

"expert criticism" is rarely valid on things considered to be art, entertainment, and so forth. It's all opinion and not concrete fact. Though in this particular case, I feel I must bow before Syterion's wisdom. :lol:

10. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Great, now there are only two movies I want to see..Wanted and Kung Fu Panda. I really hope they're good.

11. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

I counter:

Personal critcism based on first hand accounts is rarely valid. Without detaching oneself and considering the input of others, one is a fool in the darkness.

Further, expert criticism IS largely valid. You can think your sister's painting is better than a Van Gogh, but it does not make it so. Generally, people are too inept to accurately criticize art. If their ignorance makes it good... that doesn't really count. Unqualified or inept assessment does not change the object. Van Gogh's paintings are masterpieces, this is a concrete fact.

12. bhsup

bhsup Deity

And throwing water balloons at a canvas will never, ever be art in my book. But I've heard differently from "experts".

Besides, what the hell makes one an expert at art? Being an artist? Most critics are not good at what they judge. You'll probably never see a food critic being employed as a chef in a 5-star restaurant, for example.

13. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

No. Exposure and education. Knowledge. Understanding. That sort of thing... You know, the things 'laymen' lack.

ps. Top Chef uses chefs to judge. :) Perhaps top food critics are chefs too? But what do I know? They could fry poop and as long as Padma hosts, I'm watching.

14. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

Why does America keep inflicting on us these movies? Don't you know that Sandler or one of his producers or someone has a contract with the Catalan TV and everytime I want to see a movie in the TV I've got to see Crapam Sandler? Does America hate Catalonia?

STOP IT!!!

Edit:

Send us South Park instead.

15. aelf

aelf Ashen One

That's why you shouldn't mess with The Zohan?

16. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

Catalunya messed w/ the Zohan, now they have to watch his movies :) :) :)

17. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

I don't mess with the Zohan, is the Zohan that messes with me.

18. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

I'm gonna step out on a limb and admit I enjoyed it. It wasn't great by any means, and I don't think I burst out laughing (possibly once). But it was still amusing in it's own right. The individual characters are usually funny enough to get through any one poor humor scene. There's also a lot of crude humor in there, so if that's not your thing, don't even bother.

In conclusion: probably not worth the $12, but it's worth the 1.5 hours you'd spend watching it for free.

19. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

Seasons 1-6 are genius (about 10 per?), minus only ~3 episodes. That's a solid 18 hours of good stuff.

--

Russian?

20. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan The Ruler of Cattle

You spent more than seven dollars on a movie?!

Edit: At least I'm not the only one who liked it a little.