1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

You don't need military

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by metagross, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Sounds familiar. I like this trade route simulator better, though. :D

2. Question

Question King

Im confused, trade routes give bonuses, bonuses are a must have. Everyone can get the same amount of trade routes except the faction with a trade route bonus. Why is this imbalanced?

I mean, watch this :

they absolutely need to be nerfed, because Civ derives its replayability from diversity of development paths and strategies. Currently there is only one: spam affinity units, pick the capitals you want to capture then hit end turn until the game says you won :crazyeye:.

3. Arcaian

Arcaian Warlord

It's imbalanced in comparison to other strategies. Is there any situation besides when you're about to lose a city and need some defense where you would want to build something before maximizing the amount of trade routes you can have running? Got a size 4 city, choice between a fairly basic structure, or +30 energy per turn + beakers, or like +10 food and +5 production. It's hardly even a choice.

4. luraz

luraz Chieftain

Guys,

Download the BeBa mod for civ BE through Steam. This mod will really fix some mentioned AI issues here and is an answer to OP question. I have been playing with that mod for 1 week already on very hard and the game is soo much challenging and fun. AI in my games definitely knows how to use their armies with airstrikes and then full attack a city. Looking at the scenario of OP with 1 marine,your situation would be hopeless with BeBa mod. I had that situation with 4 marines and when an aggresive AI launched a backstab attack towards me with 10 stacks,I litteraly got destroyed and all my cities taken within 15 turns. Lost my game and learnded that I definitely need armies in this game. I really think the AI behavior in my games is related to the mod I am playing,as I dont have the issues you guys mention in this thread. Good luck:goodjob:

5. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Chieftain

Kinda confused, but does that mod also change the 1 unit per tile rule or something? If so how much more does it change?

6. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

This is exactly my experience playing the two more difficult levels of this game. I can not be more disappointed. :cry:

7. luraz

luraz Chieftain

I meant that I got into same situation as Original Poster. I had 3 stacks of marines, then AI suddenly declared war at me, as he was striving for world domination and he destroyed me in 15 turns. Send in air attacks on my cities en then all in ground warfare. The point is, with this mod the OP would never survive his game with 1 stack of marines in a city.

I do not know if they change the 1 unit per tile rule, but I think not. They did however made lots of changes in game mechanics like:
    - Only 1 trade route available per city, excluding capital who still can afford 2 routes.
    - Internal routes got nerfed.
    - Some adjustments in AI behavior.
    - Some changes in the technical three.
    - And many great ideas being discussed and prepared for next update.

You guys should check it out here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=536537.

It definitely helped my games a lot and I am enjoying them more than with vanilla mechanics.:king:

8. Jman5

Jman5 Warlord

I think part of the problem the ai has stems from the increase in terrain blockers mucking up their pathing. In civ 5, it was just mountains and water. Now its mountains, canyons, craters, miasma, and water. The maps are being stuffed to the brim with these. It slices the map up into impenetrable kingdoms save 1 or 2 extreme chokepoints. Players can be clever about it and bypass these blockers through water or open borders, but the ai tries to hammer through the tiny chokepoints as best it can.

I would like to see the map script generator cut the amount of terrain blockers in half. The maps need to be opened up more. Otherwise the ai will never feel threatening.