You first 5.....

eiprufgb

Chieftain
Love to learn from you guys, so....:
  • What are you 5 first civics when you start a new game?
  • What do you do in you first turns?
  • What technology you focus on?
  • How do you negotiate with other civs?
  • How fast do you build an second City?
  • What are you favorite wonders and why?

1. It depends on what is happening. Do I need an extra envoy? Do I want to push culture or push settler hard early. Do I want a GG, who am I playing as.... there are so many variables that change what I choose... also if I am missing an inspiration I normally swap until I can get it or give up after the need becomes too strong.
  2. See 1
  3. See 1
  4. I will sell my early luxuries, my favour, Pretty much anything I can sell. I will send an envoy sometimes if I am CV in peacefully, or expect to. On tight deity maps I will try and joint war and forge early friendships.
  5. Normally a settler is 3-4th build .. I may buy a settler.
  6. Probably an early Piopiotahi because the culture is awesome.

Get state workforce... often I ignore its Eureka because an early non-government plaza district is not always that good an investment of production (unless you have a half-price UD); that civic itself is worth 2 governor promotions and is the most useful out of the bunch. Beelining poly phi is exactly 5 civics (not counting code of laws).

Mysticism is a short detour if you need one envoy (and if you plan for an Oracle game as China for example), but with the Pingala change I feel there is no reason to get it most of the time.

Tech is mostly AH because you can sell/gift horses. Pottery is ok if you plan to get fast irrigation but is a bit risky against deity rushes. Mining if mine/quarry luxuries are near and they are on good tiles (amber and diamonds mostly... other luxes spawn on naked flat land and not worth working early so much).

I usually build Scout, Builder, Settler. Early gold often will go for a Slinger to set up for Archery Eureka, and to bust fog away from my Warrior and Scout vectors.

I tend to switch back and forth between Craftsmanship and Foreign Trade, based on Inspirations. I want to give my 2 cities enough time to use Agoge before swapping it out for the Scout exp card or ship card. Typically as long as it takes my 2nd city to build a Warrior in a lower production spot... I will have built 2-3 Slingers in Cap, and maybe another Warrior.

I used to always build a 1st district for State Workforce, but have been doing it less. If I find a Natural Wonder early I may diverge for Astrology to get a quick Holy Site, but with an un-modded game I rarely do. (I love Religion Expanded, or whatever the mod is that allows 12 religions, etc. I nab the belief that gives Science for Holy buildings and just forgo Campuses for a long time). If I DOW early I sometimes get the Inspiration from a captured city. Seems like I pop it in a hut often.

Typically I hit Early Empire 3rd, to start Settler pumping. I used to usually do Magnus x2 in RF, but with GS I don't. So expansion seems slower, but I enjoy the game more, if that makes sense. Pingala x2 gets me the culture for Pol Phil, I've had an unusual number of games in GS where I am slow with Monuments, usually because of culture lux or NW tiles worked.

Almost always 4th SW into Pol Phil. If swarmed I will go for Mil Tradition, I very rarely nab Mysticism early (Greece is good - bonus slot for GP card, sometimes with Gorgo I then run for Drama to get early Acropolii). I typically go for Mysticism after Pol Phil, I will have slotted 2x envoy card, and then decide to swap after spending the envoy or waiting for an early quest.

- I usually tech for lux and resources early, but w/o Irrigation eureka that will wait. I am not a speed SV player, so Writing is usually a pathway for Currency (I prefer to lead in Culture vs Tech early). Tech choices are based on military need and CS quests, usually. I keep an eye on the Era timer, some are ignored because they will have to wait for the next Era.

- I tend to play friendly, and send emissaries - in GS you get them back more often it seems. I trade early lux and resources, although I hoard influence or whatever it's called. Not sure why, but it's new so I want it all. :D Forward settling by AI, and general irritation (esp finger wagging) will prompt me to war, but usually I just build an empire and explore, and create strong perimeters. Ready to kick butt in Emergencies or whatever.

- I almost never build early wonders as I usually play Immortal or Deity and they seem a crapshoot. Even in a few early games on Emperor in GS the Colosseum went in the 80s, I couldn't believe it. Since Magnus is so low on my list, I tend to not chop for wonders early.

Depends on unimproved food & production situation in capital.
Very situational :)
The basics first (AH, mining, pottery, BW, archery) and situational from there.
Very situational.
As fast as humanely possible.
Temple of Artemis & Pyramids if I can get'em; Macchu Picchu & Petra if these will return the investment. Units are the wonders with guaranteed return. ;)

It's hard to narrow down a "first 5" I'd say, and a lot of the time it does depend (though your first can OBVIOUSLY be Code of Laws since you have no choice!) Ones that I do like or think are particularly important are: 1) Early Empire (closes off your borders to other civs, which is crucial to keep you from getting rushed); 2) Foreign Trade (first trader); 3) Political Philosophy (T1 governments); 4) Drama and Poetry (Theater Squares); 5) Mysticism (good early wildcard policies + Oracle wonder).
    Usually, explore. Generally, my first build is a scout. Everything afterwards varies. If I see early barbarians, I make sure to queue up a warrior and a slinger when I can, buying a builder when possible. If I'm a bit more secure, I may pick a builder, go monument, and buy another military unit. Nowadays, my second settler (first building of a settler) comes around as my fourth-ish build, generally once I've hit 3 people I need to start claiming land ASAP because the AI WILL forward settle you if you don't first. I used to be more slow/conservative with building cities, but Civ VI has taught me to have a larger military early (especially because you need to build defenses) and to grab land fast so you don't get boxed in. I will generally wait awhile to build a monument though; they aren't as necessary as they were in V, but it's a good early build if you're secure and can spare the cogs.
    Mainly economy in my case, but again, I try to be proactive/flexible. If I see Montezuma as my first neighbor, i want Masonry, Archery, and Bronze working ASAP. If I find Gilgamesh, I'm a bit more cautious, but I'll probably stick to economy if he seems friendly (BUT I will get Masonry for walls ASAP because he WILL rush you if he thinks he has the upper hand). If I get someone like Gandhi or Brazil, they are less likely to war early so I'll stick to my economy techs. Useful early techs: Mining, Irrigation, The Wheel, Writing, Masonry, Archery.
    I treat them the way they treat me! If they're friendly to start, I'll try to build a solid relationship with good deals, friendship declarations, sending them traders, and even giving small gifts. If they're on the fence, I try the same approach. If it doesn't work, or they are hostile, I build a military, and let them attack unless I have a good reason to go first. The exception is domination victory - to win that, you have to capture the original capital of every civ in the game, so you don't want to be TOO friendly, because in the end you have to go to war with basically everyone.
    ASAP. The AI will land grab around you first if you don't get to it. Again, it's usually my fourth-ish build order. Sometimes 3rd if an AI is particularly close and there is valuable land between us that I want. If you're distant from other Civs and have lots of room, you can afford to wait a tad longer, but the game is really about encouraging building as many cities as possible to develop.
    -Amundsen-Scott Research Station: Super late game wonder, but usually an opportune grab for a player. Finishing it gives a massive Science and production increase in all cities - good as a way to help speed up your path to victory.
    -Taj Mahal: Bonus era score from every moment worth 2 or more is great to help keep pace with the ballooning era score requirements as you chain golden ages and get larger. A "Must Build" for me.
    -Colosseum: Fantastic Amenity/Culture/Loyalty booster for the early game, particularly if it is in a central location with numerous cities in range.
    -Cristo Redentor: Giant tourism boost for seaside resorts.
    -Pyramids: Makes builders even better.
    -Eiffel Tower: a must for CVs because it gives all tiles +2 appeal in your land which means your national park locations start opening up.
    -Estadio de Maracana: +6 culture and +2 amenities for EVERY city in your civ is great.
    -Forbidden City: Bonus wildcard
    -Mausoleum of Halicarnassus: Can use great people twice
    -Hanging Gardens: boosts growth in all cities
    -Machu Picchu: creates mountain adjacency bonuses for key districts
    -Oracle: extra great people points from districts in a key city
    -Orzaghaz: Extra favor from city states
    -Petra: can turn a desert city into a paradise
    -Statue of Liberty - Can create some permanently loyal cities and gives you a diplo point

It's hard to narrow down a "first 5" I'd say, and a lot of the time it does depend (though your first can OBVIOUSLY be Code of Laws since you have no choice!) Ones that I do like or think are particularly important are: 1) Early Empire (closes off your borders to other civs, which is crucial to keep you from getting rushed); 2) Foreign Trade (first trader); 3) Political Philosophy (T1 governments); 4) Drama and Poetry (Theater Squares); 5) Mysticism (good early wildcard policies + Oracle wonder).
    Usually, explore. Generally, my first build is a scout. Everything afterwards varies. If I see early barbarians, I make sure to queue up a warrior and a slinger when I can, buying a builder when possible. If I'm a bit more secure, I may pick a builder, go monument, and buy another military unit. Nowadays, my second settler (first building of a settler) comes around as my fourth-ish build, generally once I've hit 3 people I need to start claiming land ASAP because the AI WILL forward settle you if you don't first. I used to be more slow/conservative with building cities, but Civ VI has taught me to have a larger military early (especially because you need to build defenses) and to grab land fast so you don't get boxed in. I will generally wait awhile to build a monument though; they aren't as necessary as they were in V, but it's a good early build if you're secure and can spare the cogs.
    Mainly economy in my case, but again, I try to be proactive/flexible. If I see Montezuma as my first neighbor, i want Masonry, Archery, and Bronze working ASAP. If I find Gilgamesh, I'm a bit more cautious, but I'll probably stick to economy if he seems friendly (BUT I will get Masonry for walls ASAP because he WILL rush you if he thinks he has the upper hand). If I get someone like Gandhi or Brazil, they are less likely to war early so I'll stick to my economy techs. Useful early techs: Mining, Irrigation, The Wheel, Writing, Masonry, Archery.
    I treat them the way they treat me! If they're friendly to start, I'll try to build a solid relationship with good deals, friendship declarations, sending them traders, and even giving small gifts. If they're on the fence, I try the same approach. If it doesn't work, or they are hostile, I build a military, and let them attack unless I have a good reason to go first. The exception is domination victory - to win that, you have to capture the original capital of every civ in the game, so you don't want to be TOO friendly, because in the end you have to go to war with basically everyone.
    ASAP. The AI will land grab around you first if you don't get to it. Again, it's usually my fourth-ish build order. Sometimes 3rd if an AI is particularly close and there is valuable land between us that I want. If you're distant from other Civs and have lots of room, you can afford to wait a tad longer, but the game is really about encouraging building as many cities as possible to develop.
    -Amundsen-Scott Research Station: Super late game wonder, but usually an opportune grab for a player. Finishing it gives a massive Science and production increase in all cities - good as a way to help speed up your path to victory.
    -Taj Mahal: Bonus era score from every moment worth 2 or more is great to help keep pace with the ballooning era score requirements as you chain golden ages and get larger. A "Must Build" for me.
    -Colosseum: Fantastic Amenity/Culture/Loyalty booster for the early game, particularly if it is in a central location with numerous cities in range.
    -Cristo Redentor: Giant tourism boost for seaside resorts.
    -Pyramids: Makes builders even better.
    -Eiffel Tower: a must for CVs because it gives all tiles +2 appeal in your land which means your national park locations start opening up.
    -Estadio de Maracana: +6 culture and +2 amenities for EVERY city in your civ is great.
    -Forbidden City: Bonus wildcard
    -Mausoleum of Halicarnassus: Can use great people twice
    -Hanging Gardens: boosts growth in all cities
    -Machu Picchu: creates mountain adjacency bonuses for key districts
    -Oracle: extra great people points from districts in a key city
    -Orzaghaz: Extra favor from city states
    -Petra: can turn a desert city into a paradise
    -Statue of Liberty - Can create some permanently loyal cities and gives you a diplo point
Wow! Nice reply. Very useful information and easy to implement. I will take some of you advices for my next game.

How do you games normally end? By capturing every single single city till it's all yours or you choose other game plays? Before in the older games it went pretty fast to take all other cities but in Civ6 it takes forever.

Wow! Nice reply. Very useful information and easy to implement. I will take some of you advices for my next game.

How do you games normally end? By capturing every single single city till it's all yours or you choose other game plays? Before in the older games it went pretty fast to take all other cities but in Civ6 it takes forever.

Glad I could help.

I play more peacefully and opt for usually non-domination victories, but sometimes it does end in a long war as I'm trying to finish (though I still don't conquer the globe, but I end up taking lots of land. I generally don't conquer the whole globe because I don't find it as fun. I prefer creation to destruction.

I did play a domination game as Macedon once to abuse their powers. It was kind of entertaining to do once, but I'm okay not doing it too often. Have to be in the mood.

Giggles always accepts a DoF on the turn you meet him.

Mostly, yes. But I had him one DOW me really fast after not accepting and it was brutal for me. So I learned to be wary :p

Oh yeah; I've clicked through the End Turn button too fast a time or two and regretted it. Trying to make myself slow down more in the early game so I don't make those kinds of mistakes so much. But I've never had him turn me down if I proposed a friendship immediately.

I guess since I'm here I'll answer the original question!

1st 5 Civics: I try to get to Political Philosophy as quickly as possible. I might detour into Mysticism to get the Oracle if I'm otherwise going to waste culture before getting an Inspiration, but in GS I find that starting the wonder a little late isn't so much of a problem. I usually start with Foreign Trade because its Inspiration is a little less reliable than Craftsmanship's (unless I have a jungle start). In most circumstances, I'll get the Early Empire Inspiration in plenty of time. State Workforce is a little chancier, and it depends on early Eurekas—I frequently miss the Inspiration if my Scout doesn't find a NW.

Early game activity: I almost always settle in place; I hate losing a turn when the enemy gets so much advantage already (I play at Immortal usually). Build a Scout first thing, then start work on a Slinger. If I spot imminent barbarian attack or an aggressive neighbor, I'll switch to a Warrior for defense. My initial Warrior explores nearby, diverting to the first barbarian camp I find, but always trying to uncover as many dark tiles as possible with each step. The Scout usually strikes out in one direction with the goal of finding three CS for the Political Philosophy Inspiration. I've never had a lot of luck stealing Settlers or doing early pillaging with my Scout, but if I see the opportunity I may take it. I usually regret doing so.

If I don't feel like I'm in danger, I'll build a Builder and use my gold for a Settler. If I need defense, I'll instead build the Slinger and a third Warrior, then switch to the Settler, buying my Builder as soon as I hit 200 gold. The Builder prioritizes any move that will get Eurekas. I usually hit the Inspiration for Early Empire 4 - 6 turns after founding the second city with 4 pops in my capital and 2 in the expo. At this point I usually realize that my military is too weak and I try to spit out a couple more Warriors before an AI shows up on my doorstep. I am very frequently too late.

1st Techs: Whatever is needed to exploit my immediate surroundings. All other things being equal, I'll go for Mining first because it allows improvements on more tiles than the others, some of which also offer Eurekas. Second priority is a tech that unlocks a District. Astrology if I find a NW or I'm going for a relgion. Writing if not. After that I usually follow the Eurekas, grabbing whatever meets my immediate needs and won't waste beakers. I don't usually transition into a more targeted research plan until the Classical Era is almost over.

Early diplomacy: I'm a peaceful player at heart, so I try to get DoF's with as many leaders as I can. If I anticipate needing to expand, I'll try to cultivate a bad relationship with someone like Philip; he can often be persuaded to attack, and he's often weak in the early game, having spent too much of his resources on a religion. I sell my luxuries to the point where my cities are Displeased until such time as loyalty starts becoming an issue. I only sell strategics to players with whom I have a DoF. I get mutual Open Borders with everyone as soon as possible for the improved relations. I may have to pay 10 gold or so the first time, but after that everyone is usually willing to pay me, and that extra 1-2 gpt each adds up to a nice income eventually, and it paves the way toward Alliances, for which the AI will frequently pay even more.

I usually hoard my Favor until I reach the 30 point threshold at which I can call an Emergency if the opportunity presents itself. Favor is also quite valuable in the Middle Ages for buying Great Works and luxuries, so it's good to bank it unless there's a pressing need for cash. Even if I anticipate a Domination Victory, I'll cultivate good relations with most civilizations. It's nice to have allies to create distractions.

Second City: As early as is feasible. In the absence of enemies, it may well be my third build. Even if I'm under attack, I'll build or buy a Settler as soon as my defense is strong enough not to get broken. Sometimes I build my first District before the Settler is done, but it's almost always at least started by the time I have the tech to build a District. The third city often follows quickly on the heels of the first. If I nabbed Goddess of the Harvest and anticipate an imminent Golden Age, I'll stop there. Otherwise I'll keep spitting out Settlers as quickly as I can.

Favorite Wonders: In the early game, I frequently go for the Oracle. It's easy to research, cheap, powerful, usually activates an Inspiration, and not often contested by the AI. If I can chop in the Pyramids, I'll do those, but they're situational. Most often I watch for whoever builds them then plan on taking them if they're close enough.

It's very rare I pursue an early wonder other than those two. Great Lighthouse sometimes. I'm awful at securing the Colosseum. I love it when I get it, but I almost never do. Usually I see the notification that it was built about the time I'm finishing off my first ED.

I like Kilwa Kiwisani; it can be powerful, and there are enough religious wonders on offer around the same time that it's often possible to get it, even without chops. Great Zimbabwe is harder to get, but I like it a lot. So much gold! And so many spy promotions!

Other wonders I usually only build in a CV: Eiffel Tower is a must-have. Cristo Redentor is nice, but it depends on having plenty of coastline to be worthwhile. Anything with Great Work slots is something I'll try for, but I don't cry over it if I lose out on them; I can always build more Museums.

For Domination on a sea-heavy game, the Venetian Arsenal is fun. I always forget I've built it and am pleasantly surprised when my ports start spitting out Battleships two at a time.

Glad I could help.

I play more peacefully and opt for usually non-domination victories, but sometimes it does end in a long war as I'm trying to finish (though I still don't conquer the globe, but I end up taking lots of land. I generally don't conquer the whole globe because I don't find it as fun. I prefer creation to destruction.

I did play a domination game as Macedon once to abuse their powers. It was kind of entertaining to do once, but I'm okay not doing it too often. Have to be in the mood.

Mostly, yes. But I had him one DOW me really fast after not accepting and it was brutal for me. So I learned to be wary :p

Yeah I guess that is better. What you mean with creation to didistructi? What setting do you choose in the beginning? Limited nummer of turns?

If I see a good pyramid city (of if my capital can churn it out) i would hard pass both craftsmanship and state workforce. then trade -> mysticism -> early empire or trade -> early empire -> poli-phi.
2 scouts -> settler -> worker or 1 scout -> settler if there's a good enough wonder nearby to settle
list of priority: key wonders > luxuries > districts. luxuries and wonders are pretty equally important so whichever makes more sense timing-wise.
delegation and trade them 1 flat gold. sell all trade-able resources for lump gold, sell open borders asap. basically accumulate as much gold as i can asap
i try to get 3 cities out by turn 30-40. first city settled pre 25 if possible
pyramid is by far the most value. artemis is nice if you get it painlessly. most early wonders that aren't immediately nabbed by AI are pretty good.

it's something i've picked up watching other civ 6 streams. it seems to have some effect on early relations if your first impression is not atrocious. im not 100% sure but 1 flat gold is pretty trivial anyway.

Yeah I guess that is better. What you mean with creation to didistructi? What setting do you choose in the beginning? Limited nummer of turns?
What I mean by "creation to destruction" is I prefer a peaceful builder style play instead of aggressive warmongering.

I generally play random map, standard speed, 500 turn limit, around King, give or take a level on how I'm feeling (less if i'm trying someone entirely new/unusual, higher if it's one I know how to play). Not a fan of immortal/deity, but I think that's because I need to train up to it more.

What I mean by "creation to destruction" is I prefer a peaceful builder style play instead of aggressive warmongering.

I generally play random map, standard speed, 500 turn limit, around King, give or take a level on how I'm feeling (less if i'm trying someone entirely new/unusual, higher if it's one I know how to play). Not a fan of immortal/deity, but I think that's because I need to train up to it more.

I understand what you mean. Yes I agree, I'm used to play domination from the old time but there is so much more in the game then just make war and destroy.

I'm going to try the 500 turns limit as well. What victory do you choose?

I understand what you mean. Yes I agree, I'm used to play domination from the old time but there is so much more in the game then just make war and destroy.

I'm going to try the 500 turns limit as well. What victory do you choose?
500 turns is default on standard speed games as long as you have a time limit turned on. If you win the game before then, it doesn't matter. And of course you can continue playing after the end (occasionally I like to do this).

This part definitely depends on who I'm playing, and a lot of it usually takes me some time to formulate.

For example: If I want a science victory, I want to play someone with an advantage there, such as Korea or Scotland. With a science victory, having strong production and science outputs are key to winning there. It's also a decent backup victory if things aren't going my way on a different front.

Same goes for the other victories. You want war? Genghis Khan or Alexander are your friends. Culture? America is great here, as is Russia. It all depends on who you pick.

Consider also how you develop your empire, and plan a goal - that's my suggestion. Example: If I have a long mountain range, I have various uses for it. I can place campuses next to it, for a strong science game. Instead, I could focus on faith and drop Holy Sites in ideal locations. I can also use these later in the game for Ski Resorts (with GS) and National Parks for fantastic tourism yield towards the culture victory. You have to choose what's the most effective path for you to win, and sometimes you know from the beginning, other times it takes awhile to formulate your plan, and occasionally, everything gets totally messed up and you need to switch victory paths. That last one can be difficult, but is possible.

500 turns is default on standard speed games as long as you have a time limit turned on. If you win the game before then, it doesn't matter. And of course you can continue playing after the end (occasionally I like to do this).

This part definitely depends on who I'm playing, and a lot of it usually takes me some time to formulate.

For example: If I want a science victory, I want to play someone with an advantage there, such as Korea or Scotland. With a science victory, having strong production and science outputs are key to winning there. It's also a decent backup victory if things aren't going my way on a different front.

Same goes for the other victories. You want war? Genghis Khan or Alexander are your friends. Culture? America is great here, as is Russia. It all depends on who you pick.

Consider also how you develop your empire, and plan a goal - that's my suggestion. Example: If I have a long mountain range, I have various uses for it. I can place campuses next to it, for a strong science game. Instead, I could focus on faith and drop Holy Sites in ideal locations. I can also use these later in the game for Ski Resorts (with GS) and National Parks for fantastic tourism yield towards the culture victory. You have to choose what's the most effective path for you to win, and sometimes you know from the beginning, other times it takes awhile to formulate your plan, and occasionally, everything gets totally messed up and you need to switch victory paths. That last one can be difficult, but is possible.
Thanks for your help :) I will keep it in mind the next time I will play.

Top Bottom