1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"You have been defeated!" But... I haven't even started a turn yet?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by Marla McGivers, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Marla McGivers

Marla McGivers Chieftain

Hiya folks,

Fantastic mod I have to say. Pure heaven for a rabid trekker like myself!

I have a slight problem though (and this occurred in "normal" civilsation 4 as well) but when I try to play "The Galaxy: Alpha Quadrant" as soon as the game starts and I see Jonathan telling me about how Earth has started, I click the button to commence and the "You have been defeated!" message appears and the game ends...

I have tried the "The Galaxy" version and that is fine, I have yet to try the others but can anyone explain why that happens and how, if possible, to fix it?

Also, the time in between turns is quite long even after a mere hundred turns! I have a Pentium 4 (3.2ghz) processor, 1gb RAM and a 1gb Ateon Radi graphics card if that helps?

Thanks in advance

Marla x

2. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Not sure what's going on with the "you have been defeated" thing, I'm pretty sure it's come up before but I don't remember the cause. Those computer specs look similar to my old desktop, which has four minute turns even at the start of the version of that map with the independent cities. Your best bet is probably to wait for 4.0, given the speed problems. My estimates for the speed increase on this scenario is 6000%; I actually removed the version with only the alpha quadrant civs because it was no longer needed. Turn times of the full one (with independent cities) went from 2 minutes to 2 seconds once I did the conversion. It is a very big map though - about one size bigger than huge!

3. Marla McGivers

Marla McGivers Chieftain

Thanks. I certainly will be waiting for version 4's appearance with bated breath.

Can I ask if the Alpha Quadrant powers will be a little further apart from each other in that version? I ask because they are right on top of each other, whereas the Borg, Dominion and the other Delta Quadrant races are quite widespread giving them room to expand without competition.

The only other point I would like to raise, if I may, is that there isn't any real "improving the tiles" other than mining the resource asteoids. I grant that space doesn't lend itself to farms and watermills(!) but maybe some form of particle collectors maybe? Not sure but it feels odd somehow having been a civ vet to go from intense worker periods of improving terrain to next to zero!

All that said it does not spoil your wonderous mod and I want to thank you for creating such a mod, clearly a labour of love, for people like me to enjoy.

Thank you.

Marla x

4. Admiral_Rockso

Admiral_Rockso Chieftain

I also would like to see more space between the alpha quadrant powers. The ability to expand and explore is greatly hindered by being bunched up together. I actually went into the world builder and moved all the federation to the large area to the far left side of the map and it was more enjoyable, as it allowed the federation to expand more. I also moved the Breen to the far right side of the map. I can't wait to play this scenario with the updated Borg!!!