You have ruined my life

sundeviljj

Chieftain
Hello,

I have played civ for years. Sadly, I never even thought about mods. I just played alone in silence for "one more turn." So.....I was playing Civ VI and was bored as the AI is not that much fun. I was searching around and came across this community. I loaded the patch up into Civ V and fired up a game. Now, I am not that great as I play on Prince. I started on Prince and got my butt handed to me in 20 minutes. I tried again and had the same result. I lowered the difficulty and lasted a whole 30 minutes. Silly Venice just sat there and watched me get destroyed.

First, thank you all for all this work. You never know when people like me will find this option and have an entirely new game. My life is ruined as I am now excited to play this game again. My wife is less than happy.

Second, are there any guides or strategies on how to play this new version well? I am still figuring out all the amazing "bells and whistles" that come with the patch. This is a true labor of love and I am greatly impressed. Thanks.

Hello,

I have played civ for years. Sadly, I never even thought about mods. I just played alone in silence for "one more turn." So.....I was playing Civ VI and was bored as the AI is not that much fun. I was searching around and came across this community. I loaded the patch up into Civ V and fired up a game. Now, I am not that great as I play on Prince. I started on Prince and got my butt handed to me in 20 minutes. I tried again and had the same result. I lowered the difficulty and lasted a whole 30 minutes. Silly Venice just sat there and watched me get destroyed.

First, thank you all for all this work. You never know when people like me will find this option and have an entirely new game. My life is ruined as I am now excited to play this game again. My wife is less than happy.

Second, are there any guides or strategies on how to play this new version well? I am still figuring out all the amazing "bells and whistles" that come with the patch. This is a true labor of love and I am greatly impressed. Thanks.

Welcome to the community! The Strategy Subforum has some guides and whatnot- feel free to ask questions if you don't see any answers!

Cheers,
G

Welcome! :)

How in the heck do you deal with all the unhappiness? My cities are always pissed off. Never had this much of a problem. Thanks.

Coolest part about Community patch...

You gotta build in your cities.

By the way, I think it's like a universal rule that you will ragequit your first VP game due to unhappiness. It gets better quickly though as you adapt.

Anyway, have fun! VP is amazing fun once you understand the basics, and the AI will not disappoint.

I guess the photo of your profile was taken before you've discovered the VP mod because your wife is smiling there, your facial hair is trimmed and your teeth look brushed.

Last edited:
How in the heck do you deal with all the unhappiness? My cities are always pissed off. Never had this much of a problem. Thanks.
Happiness system was completely revised in VP. Generally speaking, happiness in the city depends on how much yields it produces (!) compared to global average. You can hover your mouse over the city and see sources of unhappiness.

There are 4 sources of unhappiness and each of them depends on yields, that a city produces: illiteracy (= :c5science: per turn per citizen), poverty (=:c5gold: per turn per citizen), boredom (= :c5culture: per turn per citizen) and crime (= :c5strength: per citizen, this is strength of a city).

So generally speaking if you have unhappiness due to crime - you need to build walls, if you have unhappiness from poverty - you need to produce more gold in this city.

Also there are buildings that reduce "needs". In every city you want to have certain amount of yield (i.e. :c5science:,:c5gold:,:c5culture: or :c5strength:) per citizen. You can get more of those yields, but you can also reduce the amount of yield that is needed. For example Constabulary reduces need for :c5strength:, so you need to have less :c5strength: per citizen.

You can see all the numbers on the top left side of the city screen with EUI (strongly recommended to play with EUI, it is a bit confusing at first, but really really good when you get used to it)

Short answer: You don't. Just play and don't care too much about it.

Better answer: Avoid things that make your people unhappy (overexpanding, underdeveloping, fighting long wars), look for things that make your people happy (trade, luxuries, wonders, religion).

Expanded answer:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/guide-introduction-to-happiness-in-vox-populi.565658/
http://civ-5-cbp.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Concepts

Welcome and enjoy!

For what it's worth, I used to play Vanilla Civ 5 at level 4-5, depending on mood. I'd say it took about 75% of my concentration to win about 75% of the time.
Now when I play Vox, I need 100% of my concentration to win at level 4 around 40% of the time. The AI is getting 'smarter and smarter.' Every move you make has to be well-considered. What the Vox Community here has accomplished is truly remarkable.

For what it's worth, I used to play Vanilla Civ 5 at level 4-5, depending on mood. I'd say it took about 75% of my concentration to win about 75% of the time.
Now when I play Vox, I need 100% of my concentration to win at level 4 around 40% of the time. The AI is getting 'smarter and smarter.' Every move you make has to be well-considered. What the Vox Community here has accomplished is truly remarkable.
It's not for everyone's taste, but opinions like yours give us more reason to continue. (Though the hard work is done by Gazebo, Ilteroi and a few more modders. I guess a proper recognition thread is due for the people that actually coded things, even if there's a collaborative work by players for players).

By the way, difficulty is not the best thing about VP in my opinion. It's the well balanced gameplay, the always an important decision to make, the interesting mechanics, and the recursive development that makes everything better every time.

By the way, difficulty is not the best thing about VP in my opinion. It's the well balanced gameplay, the always an important decision to make, the interesting mechanics, and the recursive development that makes everything better every time.
Wouldn't have turned out so great without the AI though. Being so mindful of those things is only possible with some decent competition, after all.

Wouldn't have turned out so great without the AI though. Being so mindful of those things is only possible with some decent competition, after all.
Yeah it wouldn't matter that warfare is so perfectly tuned if you could school the AI with an army of only archers like vanilla.

My favorite part of VP is teaching the AI to use base systems at all. People seem to forget that the AI couldn’t even promise defensive pacts prior to VP. Or build forts. Or use gold for building and unit purchases. It’s no wonder people can beat Deity vanilla so easily, the AI ignored 30% of the game.

G

Top Bottom