1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

You Have Suffered an Embarassing defeat!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Metropolis Man, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Metropolis Man

Metropolis Man Chieftain

When you spend 15-20 hours at a game it would be nice to know how you lost. Did America launch the spaceship before me? I was only 4 turns away. But losing isn't what irks me — I want to know how I lost. Is there a way? Or is it just guesstimation? The computer obviously knows who did what to win when the "You have suffered an embarassing defeat" message appears, so why not have the message — America achieved a Space Race victory, you have suffered...blah, blah. Or Germany achieved a cultural victory, you have suffered a blah, blah.....

Food for thought for Civ 4.

2. Gainy

Gainy Guest

It does tell you. Look on the Hall Of Fame, and it should tell you what type of defeat it was. Ie, Spaceship - Loss.

Hope that helps :)

3. Metropolis Man

Metropolis Man Chieftain

Thanks. I never thought of that for some reason. I still wish it would say who won — but there wouldn't be room in that listing I guess.

On a different note — shortly before I lost the Space Race I was building parts in a few cities with Nuclear Power plants with additional Manufacturing Plants — talk about insane shield production...one of those towns was cranking 101 shields/turn. Anyway, what exactly is the chance of a nuclear meltdown and what is the resulting damage? The Civlopedia mentions the chance but isn't any more specific.

4. bed_head7

bed_head7 Chieftain

There is a small chance if you let the city go into civil disorder. There is no chance of meltdown without civil disorder, as far as I know. And meltdowns cause pollution, but not the same level as destruction as a nuke, though I am not sure about the last part.

5. Metropolis Man

Metropolis Man Chieftain

Did you mean to say there is no chance of a meltdown if your city is not in civil disorder?

6. T-Money

T-Money Conquestador

Yes, that is what he meant to say. Nuclear meltdowns hardly ever occur even when you have civil disorder, and it's worth it to risk a meltdown for the production bonus. I once had a city cranking out 160 spt in a city with nuke plant, man plant and factory.

7. bed_head7

bed_head7 Chieftain

Oops, I will go back and correct that.

8. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

The game I just finished, I had bang on 100 shields in my capital with just a factory and coal plant (it was an interesting world... none of the civs COULD build Hoovers as there were no rivers!)

Neil. :cool:

9. Azrune

Azrune Dark Lord

I always build Nuke Plants, they rock

10. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Look at this picture, more than 500 spt:

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd39.jpg

The city must have been designed (map editor) for shield production? :D

11. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

I'm also guessing it's during a Golden Age, because all the irrigated Cow(?) squares are producing 3 shields per turn.

12. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

Either golden age or mobilization, or both.

13. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

Heh, it's so long since I tried Mobilization that I'd forgotten that it does that (fact is, if I'd remembered, I'd have pounded the Russians into the dust in my last completed game.... d'oh!).

14. Theoden

Theoden Chieftain GOTM Staff

With conquests there is this victory screen when you lose showing you how you lost. The same screen as you get by pressing F8. It is already included so they dont need the idea for cIV.

15. drwsince1987

drwsince1987 Chieftain

Do all of you good players put roads and eventually railroads on every tile possible.

I don't just because I think its stupid and it looks stupid.

...Should I...?

16. bouncelot

bouncelot Chieftain

I'm not a good player, at least not yet. But it's obvious that roads on every worked tile, and railroads on every mined and irrigated tile in your empire is gointg to do your empire an awful lot of good, unless it's in hopelessly corrupt cities.

17. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I think that it isn't nessecary to put rails and roads everywhere, but if I have workers doing nothing, I send them to do that, and later and can press Shift-A and have my workers auto-clear pollution without them worrying about railing my empire. :)