1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

You know what... I do want CIV IV.5!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by RobAnybody, Oct 11, 2010.

1. troytheface

troytheface Deity

Fact- Civ IV , aged, tired, decrepid, staggering around like an old fool

Fact- I once played a game of Civ3 and a game of Civ4. Civ5 is the superior

Fact- Most that stopped playiing BTS did so because they were done with it

Fact- CivIV.5- a made up idea that is worse then a ghost since it is just a message board idea of something that could never be, will be, or should have been

the evidence is clear- Delusions in the Valley of the Gorge

2. falconne

falconne meep

Not sure if you meant to reply to my post, but I was suggesting bringing the few improvements (in the opinion of those of us who don't like Civ 5) see in it in to Civ 4. A few of the more popular mods could implement them easily.

The two games have entirely different philosophies - Civ 4 is an empire builder and Civ 5 has a Euro board game style... the expansions will continue that trend, so it's best to leave the game to develop in its own vein.

3. Asylumer

Asylumer Chieftain

I think a better way to go around it was to base the cost of roads on the number of cities you had so that you could build a trade route between your empire at little cost but if you spammed roads you'll start paying more than the extra movement may be worth.

You're doing it wrong...

4. falconne

falconne meep

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

5. drachasor

drachasor The Undying Flame

These are the Civ 5 boards, so I think my post was appropriate. Anyone who really hates Civ 5 doesn't have a lot of reason to stick around these boards.

And Civ 5 is an empire builder too, you're just being silly about that. Or do you have a specific definition of the traits an empire builder has and a "euro board" game has that you are referring to?

6. drachasor

I think you should be able to freely build roads where you deem it important. To other cities, to important strategic points, etc. I suppose this could be done with a generous amount of "road support" based on city/empire size (that way you can't place it in every single square, but you can do more than just connect cities).

7. Generals3

Generals3 Warlord

Fact: When you grow old of a game you move on to something totally new

Fact: When you purchase a sequel it is because you liked the prequel . And you expect something similar

Fact: Many people tend to lie to themselves but a sequel should always be the previous version .5

Fact: If you want to make a totally new and different game you start a new series .

8. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Civilization IV: Beyond Civ V

9. jihe

jihe Prince

I don't know what this rushing for religion talk comes from. No good player ever rushes a religion.

10. drachasor

Well, the main alternative for a good bit of the game, especially on larger maps, is to then take over another civ with one. Neither option really makes much sense.

11. Conspirator

Conspirator Prince

Could this idea be made into a mod, or is that not possible?

12. Conspirator

Conspirator Prince

What a really, really, really good idea!!

13. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Warlord

After couple years. I'm already done with Civ5. Watching CivFanatic board is lot more entertaining.

14. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I guess a lot of people does not know troy around here. Get used to him/use the ignore button.

BTW some hours ago I wrote that I haven't seen yet someone asking for a civ 4.5 . I retract that statement :lol:

15. snowlyon

snowlyon Chieftain

agreed~

16. Gatsby

Gatsby King

How about a combo of Civ2/Civ3 and Civ5 - roads give 1 or 2 gold or commerce when worked, but also cost a similar or slightly higher amount in maintenance whether they are worked or not. That way a player might still be inclined to build roads to resources and between cities but would not be inclined to spam roads everywhere because that wouldn't make much sense in terms of worker use and net economic benefit.

Civ5's trading posts could also be integrated into this idea: a trading post would serve as a tile improvement on a road between two distance cities (ie it could only be built outside a city radius and on a road in friendly/unclaimed territory) to give a small reduction in the cost of maintaning an inter-city road. The trading post would stand a small chance of eventually turning into a city itself, giving players another way to create cities apart from using settlers.

17. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Agree with the OP. I would add to the "less generic buildings" thing that I'd like wonders that are mostly actually worth the investment, like in Civ4. I'd also like Civ4's more easy-to-access info screens, city screens, graphs, and endgame replays.

18. logintime

logintime Warlord

I like this idea, or one similar to it. It'd be a nice way of recreating some effects of trading posts in real life, Like how France and Britain used them to stake claims in the new world despite having a minimal presence. If the mechanics of it could be worked out and its usage balanced, this would be a wonderful addition to Civ.

19. Gatsby

Gatsby King

A similar mechanism already exists in civ4, where barbarian-occupied tribal villages can turn into barbarian cities over time. So maybe that mechanism could be modified, so that a trading post would effectively be a buildable tribal hut of sorts (but without being able to be 'popped').

Perhaps a trading post could offset road maintenance within a 1-2 hex/tile radius (excluding worked tiles), and could only be built at least 4-5 hexes/tiles away from the nearest city or trading post in order to avoid trading post spamming. They could possibly also serve the function that colonies did in civ3, so that they would be worth building them on an o/s landmass to access strategic resources.

PS To add to the OP topic, my ideal Civ5 could be roughly described by the following equation:

Civ4 bts + hexes + CTP unit and combat system + ranged combat + scaled down version of SMAC unit workshop + SMAC-style natural wonders + SMAC-style terrain and weather +terraforming options + CTP public works to replace workers + RFC stability, great depressions and plague + new role for trading posts (incl self-emerging cities) + Civ5 city states done properly + Civ2 food caravans + more sophisticated human welfare and pollution system + spontaneous spreading of technology + resource limits on unit numbers + revolutions + ability to claim territory + self-founding religions + chance for barbarian cities to turn into actual civs during the course of the game.

Haven't played ROM/AND yet so can't comment on what features I would also add from that, though I have a feeling there would be a few...

20. hj232

hj232 Chieftain

Amen!