you know what I don't miss? Barracks

Fabio1701

King
Barracks, armouries, military academies, the whole lot. gone and good riddance.

The problem of these things is that to forces you to build all of them in all your cities so that you are not worried about building/buying military units in a suboptimal place, or designate on city as your military production, which may be far from the front lines. And the heroic epic made this problematic, because I had to build a baracks in every city and then I start thinking "well, I've built a barracks, might as well build the rest too or it will be wasted."

In CBE I can build/buy my military in any city an not feel that I am loosing out on opportunity costs. This helps keep my army on the front lines, or even purchasing them from frontier cities which are not full of a guarding artillery unit, which my main producer may not be able to buy because the city tile has a unit on it the I don't want to move.

all in all, I think this was a good design choice. especially since CBE has SO many buildings already. too many imho.

I prefered barracks in Civ2!!!

Your barracks are all old and ded. Build dem again.

So much amazing fun!

I prefered barracks in Civ2!!!

So much amazing fun!

OMG that was so annoying!!!! :cry:

I prefer that change as well. Maximizing the worth of my units involved stacking Barracks, Armory, Military Academy and Brandenburg Gate into the same city whenever I could, and I would attempt to do this with a coastal city so that I'd get super ships. Assuming my science and production was accelerated enough, I'd attempt to get Alhambra in the same city as well. And after all that, I would avoid wanting to deploy out of any other cities since they'd be inferior to the units I got out of my super military city (units that can deploy with Logistics or Blitz? Heck yeah!).

Buuuut... I would prefer that units be more differentiated between affinities (I think only ranged units and cavalry have significant differentces, air units and melee units were mostly the same iirc), and that the choices made in the unit upgrade UI be promotions that can be picked for each newly deployed unit. Yes I do think sometimes I would choose to field some units to be able to move after attacking, and for others to have 1 movement cost over all terrain.

I'm ok with these buildings being gone too, but wouldn't mind having them back either. It gives some more depth to the decision of producing more veteran vs rookie units.

And I'm not so sure given the state of BE (which I still like but lots of room for improvement) that this was an actual design decision - vs yet again another area that BE scrapped / didn't implement in the rush to publish the game early.

For all we know, the design they wanted will include these once later patches are put in.

Personally I liked stacking military buildings. Getting Al Hambra, Brandenburg Gate, and all the military units and pumping out autohealing or double attacking melee units was fun. I don't see why people didn't like them. They were generally pretty easy to build in your high production cities (where you would likely be building your military units anyway) and made your army feel a little more special. At the same time, the uninteresting promotion path and lack of choice would make them feel a little more boring and useless.

No more barracks. Next thing you know they'll get rid of buildings altogether. Simplify! Simplify! ;)

Just kidding, of course. I like the idea of having barracks, though. It is nice to have a city that is specialized in producing excellent units. You kind of lose a bit of that specialization and you start to drift towards general purpose luxury resource depots when you ditch barracks and their ilk, IMHO.

I absolutely agree that there is no reason to miss barracks.

You know what else I don't miss? Work boats! Replacing them with worker-constructed work barges is one of the small things that they definitely got right in BE.

They are a good feature from a design point of view.

Allowed you to specialize cities for unit Production, and made wide vs tall a closer call decision.

I absolutely agree that there is no reason to miss barracks.

You know what else I don't miss? Work boats! Replacing them with worker-constructed work barges is one of the small things that they definitely got right in BE.

That's one thing I don't miss from SMAC, I don't need to have a sea worker and a land worker for my city.

I don't miss Barracks. Because I almost never used them in CiV. Better to train your troops on Barbarians or a CS then use buildings.

Replacing the work boats was definitely a good call.

I'm ambivalent about barracks, but certainly don't miss the heroic epic or brandenburg gate that only boosted units from one city.

I'll echo my appreciation of not missing barracks. While super units that could get march out of the gate were nice and all, it was pretty unbalancing as well, and double attack units who could move after shooting were flat out broken and made the game way too easy.

What would people think of needing certain buildings to build the appropriate unit. I might make a mod at some point adding in these features the more I think on the subject. Here are my thoughts so far.

Rover, Artillery - Repair facility
TacJet - Autoplant, or maybe a new building that increases jet production and increases jet garrison count.
Gunboat - Shipyard: also increases trade route yield of a city.

I'll echo my appreciation of not missing barracks. While super units that could get march out of the gate were nice and all, it was pretty unbalancing as well, and double attack units who could move after shooting were flat out broken and made the game way too easy.

What would people think of needing certain buildings to build the appropriate unit. I might make a mod at some point adding in these features the more I think on the subject. Here are my thoughts so far.

Rover, Artillery - Repair facility
TacJet - Autoplant, or maybe a new building that increases jet production and increases jet garrison count.
Gunboat - Shipyard: also increases trade route yield of a city.

interesting concept. On the one hand my first reaction is "not more buildings!" but ofcourse these buildings I am already gonna build anyway. doing this will only increase the priority of say, a autoplant vs the many other things I have to build, which is not too much of a drain on my limited scope of attention I have to spare on all these building decisions. This would also mean that there are some limmits to buying/building a unit in a city size 1 with nothing, which makes complete logical sence. There is no way such a village should be equiped to buy a rover artillery. It solves the unbalance/illogic of buying your whole army anywhere you want. (I obviously pursue a gold strategy).

I say go for it, find a building appropriate for every unit, but just make the gunboat dependant on having a trade depot and not mape a new building. Also, I am against more than 3 jets in a city, the limit is nice because otheriwse you get uncoquerable cities with millions of bombers a al CiV. perhaps increase the range?

Top Bottom