You promised to move your troops away but you broke it!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mclericp, Mar 3, 2014.

1. mclericp

mclericp Warlord

How long does it last for? I had this thing since the classical era and it FOLLOWED ME alllll the way to the modern era. I never had any war after the classical era and basically just doing peaceful stuff but this thing is still there.

Is this a bug or something? 1000+ years and civs still think you are dishonorable even you had liberated 2 city states and ONE civ?!

2. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

I agree these things stick way too long. considering the good relations that germany and france have now after all the wars over the centuries, there should be some way of speeding up the forgiveness. Like buying of the breaking of promises or starting wars with gold, like reparations IRL.

3. 4N4C0ND4

4N4C0ND4 King

In my last game, it lasted (and still lasting) for more than 150 turns.

Seems a bit broken to me...

4. mclericp

mclericp Warlord

yea how to fix it?
    It is really annoying seeing your friend, who shared the same stuff as you, call you dishonorable.....

5. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

I think it could be fixed by being able to select the grievances and buy the grievances off with cold hard cash. It might seem simplistic, but IRL reparations exist and countries get over things. Even razing a city shouldn't cause too much offence: otherwise Algeria would still have Italy for Rome razing Carthage.

(Actually, can anyone confirm, I dont think I have ever seen the grievance "We hate you because you razed our cities!" it would make sense, putting thousands of citizens to the sword.)

6. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

The AI considers you like a leopard, ie you don't change your spots. When prompted with the dialog box it's best to click the DOW option. It's not broken as that's how the game is played, either you're honest or not.
    There is one aspect that is broken and that's when you buy tiles with gold. When you expand your borders via culture the AI still considers you breaking your promise. Again it's best just to tell the AI to go away.

7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Wondermonger

I don't mind that pop-up existing in the game, but it really should not last longer than 20-25 turns, longer than that doesn't make sense IMO.

8. baptismbyfire

baptismbyfire Warlord

Totally agreed. I made the mistake of making such a promise once, but without intentionally doing anything, my city expanded and they considered it breaking the promise. Essentially it is a promise that one can never agree to and you have no choice but to annoy your neighbor.

9. Teproc

Teproc King

@Fabio : Carthage is in modern-day Tunisia, not Algeria

It is annoying, but once you know it you basically just never break that promise again. It's better to declare war when prompted and have a small tactical disadvantage than carry the diplomatic penalty for thousands of years. Kind of like declaring war on someone you had a declaration of Friendship with, it's the kind of thing you do once, then never again.

10. krc

krc King

Actually, it is more broken than that. I never promise not to buy tiles, and instead I always tell the AI complaining about nit to go away. And yet I still get the "you broke your promise" popup when my city tiles expand next to that AI. It doesn't matter whether or not you make the promise; the AI always acts as though you did.

11. neilkaz

neilkaz King

Yes..agreed. These things should heal quicker as should warmonger hatred (assuming you're at peace and not still conquering).

Doubling the speed at which these diplo-negatives go away would be a good place to start.

12. docbud

docbud Emperor

It's not necessarily about honesty. Suppose I don't want to go to war at that point. I am honest and I say I will move my troops. And I do. I had a game where I had an archer protecting a worker (near my borders and the AI's) and a scout on lookout. I got the pop-up. I had no intention of going to war at that time (it was the furthest thing from my mind) so I moved my troops.

Then during those long 150 turns the AI steals my techs, insults me non-stop, grabs land via a Great General, bullies my CS allies, etc. I'm supposed to just sit there and take it?

It seems to me (at least in the games it's happened to me) that the AI takes advantage of your inability to do anything in retaliation because you will be labeled a backstabber.

I'm not sure what the time limit is, but whatever it is, it's too high.

So far as the leopard spots--maybe that applies to you and your game style, I don't know. I play peacefully unless provoked and provoked until I get sick of it.

13. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

With BNW, this lasts until you get a popup saying you've kept the promise.

For G&K and Vanilla though your promise is for the rest of the game.

14. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

Doh! :blush: It takes a big man to admit he is wrong.

I am not a big man. :goodjob:

15. Callonia

Callonia Deity

That's why I almost never promise to move away my troops.
    Sometimes when I have soldiers in transit and then that popup happens.... I dow that offending AI instead because I suspect he have designs on my lands.

It tend to screw them over because they don't have a military ready to go and I have huge success.

16. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

so this begs to question, why did the game designers choose to keep the result of breaking promises and other neg dip hits like warmongering so long in the game? Did they think that the player knowledge of 2 entire eras of distrust for one grievance would make the player more trustworthy and less aggressive in play style?

Because the effect on me is that I play more aggressive should I take the first step. I try and do a relatively peaceful game with wars on the defence or for liberation, but if I am in a position that to survive I have to take more than a few cities, I feel I might as well go the whole hog because no one will trust me anymore and autocracy here I come!

17. troublmaker

troublmaker Warlord

Which also shows up in the Politics tab of diplomacy. Somehow I still think it's something extreme like 40 turns.

18. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

Yes as the AI knows if you DOW them in the next 50 turns or so for the promise to go away you'll suffer huge diplomatic penalties with all civs. I'd say it's a mechanic, albeit a very one sided one. This is similar to early DOF, the AI intends to forward settle you or do something else to provoke you but wants that 30 turn buffer before you DOW. Imagine if a civ that you have a DOF with(that you intend to conquer at some stage) asks you to move your troops.......arghhhhhhhh
    I believe it's 50 turns, but it's hard to say as all you get is a pop-up saying "you kept your promise...."

19. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

I remember getting the "kept your promise" message for the first time. I had forgotten what the promise was, but thought felt it was pretty cool that I could be a dick again. So I started waiting for that bloody message in the next few games and because it took so long, my strategy suffered. No I don't care and ignore it.

20. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

It is for 50 turns.