YOUR 3 favorite historical characters and your reasons.

Pangur Bán

Deconstructed
I really do want to hear from all the regulars on this topic. Try to give some detail as to your reasoning, but the choice should be personal! They have to inspire you somewhat :)

[Mine will follow BTW ;) ]

Xenophon

well I like this guy, a lot... during the great expidition of 10,000 greek mercenaries to aid the userper to the persian throne Cyrus ascend to the persian throne, Cyrus died in the climactic battle of Cunaxa, and while the Greeks won thiere own battle, Cyrus still died, which more or less, screwed 'em- big time. So our gnarly greek band tries to scamper back to good 'ole Hellas unnoticed, but as you might imagine, the Persian King dosent take to kindlly to have a roving band of his kingdoms most bitter enimies waddiling around, and after about a month or two of slow travel under touchy pretenses of peace, kills off all the officers at a banqueat- EXCEPT Xenophon, as he and the *****y Spatan general Clearchus had had a VERY nasty little argument, enough to apperntlly make our young Athenian just swallow his pride and stay in camp.well after the whole execution under false pretenses of peace news gets back to the greek camp its pretty safe to assume the persians dont wanna be buddy buddy anymore, and the greeks are left with either gettin there act together, or bending over and kissing there butts good bye... so they elected Xenophon as general, and he with the few remaining minor officers led the Greeks form the very heart of the Persian empire (only 50 miles from Babylon at one point) top the Greek colonies on the black, not bad for a 24 year old Athenian eh?

Scipio Africanus

an astounding military leader, ladies man, and amn of outstanding moral character, he led romes defeat of the Carthaginian hordes who had been responsible for the deaths of both his father, and grand father, and even beat Hannibal with his own tactic (sort of) used at Cannae, He resisted the temptation of making a beautiful a Iberian princess his **** toy, and gaind hordes of Spanish allies- and maintaind more then cordial relations with a great deal of other first class pieces of... well you know ;) He is a mighty Roman role model for this little son by descendence of Rome :)

I'll get back to you on him ;)

That's only two, Xen :mad: ;)

Mine:

Heraclius

_ Well, how can you beat the excitement of this man's career. He came to the throne in 610 with the Roman Empire in a critical almost hopeless position. The Avars (who introduced the stirrup to the West) and Slavs were assailing the Danube frontier and had broken through into Macedonia, Thrace and the Peloponnese. In the east, that war-monger Chosroes was on the attack. He took Damascus in 613, Jerusalem in 614 (destroying the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and capturing the Holy Cross) and Egypt in 619. The empire was on the verge of destruction, more so than it had ever been or ever would be again until at least Manzikert. In August of 626 while Heraclius and his army were in distant Lazica, a Persian army attacked Constantinople from the east while an army of Avars, Slavs, and Bulgars attacked from the west and from the sea. But the brave Romans managed to fight them off. The next year, in an amazing act of daring, Heraclius grouped his forces and invaded Persia, winning at Nineveh and threatening the vastly overstretched Persians with the destruction of their capital. The Persians surrendered all their gains, and in 630 Heraclius delivered the True Cross back to Jerusalem.

But if all this weren't enough, within a couple of years, that armed prophet history knows as Muhammed died leaving a strong war-ready Arabian state as his legacy, armed with nomad tactical superiority and the new faith that he left them. In 634 the Arab armies invaded Syria and defeated Theodore, the emperor's brother, in a string of battles. Heraclius raised a large army that attacked the Arabs near the Yarmuk, a tributary of the Jordan, in the fall of 636. After a successful beginning, the larger Byzantine army was defeated allowing the conquest of Syria. The Byzantine defeat also led to the Arabs quickly taking Mesopotamia, Armenia and eventually Egypt. However, Heraclius's policy of defence in depth saved the Empire, in contrast to the Persians, who were destroyed.

Hernán Cortéz

This guy, with a few hundred free-booters, conquered modern Mexico despite being at war with his own government during the conquest. If you read Bernal Diaz, you'll encounter a whole range of anecdotes which show he was quite a character. I don't usually like to see distinctive civilizations disappear, but the Mexican Indian states, esp. the Aztecs, were as or more savage than any fiction that the sickest imagination could ever hope to contrive. It's a pleasure to know that their cannibal-sacrifice civilization was replaced. :goodjob:

Oh, and contrary to some slandering documentaries, Cortez was not illiterate - but actually highly educated. Most of the Spanish soldiers on the expedition were literate: they had to be.

Heinrich Schliemann

He's one of the most amazing and inspiring characters in history. He was from a humble background in a small village called Neu Buckow. He dreamed, as a child, of being a classical scholar, but family scandal got him kicked out of the gymnasium; still, he taught himself Homeric Greek. He had to get a job in a counting house, but he then taught himself to become fluent in Dutch, English, French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese in the space of two years. He saved up money, started up his own business. Over time he made a fortune. Eventually, he had enough that he could give up business. He had never given up his childhood dream. He decided to go and find Troy. No-one in the world except him thought that the place could be real, but he gave up everthing to look. And he found it; he found Mycenae too. :goodjob:

Akhenaten (Amenhotep IV)

When he outlawed all the religions except for worship of the one true god, Akhenaten was going against nearly 1300 years of Egyptian culture and history to steer his people in a belief that he truely believed in.
It would have taken an awful lot of guts to upset and go against the status quo of the day. He just wasn't getting rid of the established religions, but he was cutting power from the priests who in those days wielded lots of influence and authority.
I believe that he knew the effect of his decision but wasn't afraid to make his decision.
He wasn't without his faults, but this one thing that he did is truly inspiring to me.

Nicolaus Copernicus
This guy was hundreds of years ahead of his time.
Every time I get my telescope out to look at the stars I think how amazing it is that people like Copernicus and Galileo and Keppler etc made their discoveries and theories with what would be primitive equipment by todays standards.

The major premises of Copernicus's theory are that the Earth rotates daily on its axis and revolves yearly around the Sun. He argued, furthermore, that the planets also encircle the Sun, and that the Earth precesses on its axis (wobbles like a top) as it rotates.
Microsoft® Encarta® Encyclopedia 2003. © 1993-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I'm sorry Calgacus I only have 2 and not 3 people that I can say inspire me from history. ( I do have a 3rd but it's a biblical character and I dont want to start any debates on whether biblical characters are the same as historical ones).

Currently don't have time for three people (check for later edits)

Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roche Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette

This man was a tremendous boon to the American Revolution. He initially sailed from France in secret, in full knowledge that his actions were opposed by the King. Unlike many foreign officers, the nineteen year old Frenchman did not demand an outrageous title/command. He served as a volunteer, without pay, and wished to serve wherever Washington saw fit. At Valley Forge, Lafayette firmly squashed a power struggle led by men attempting to oust Washington as the leader of the army. He later managed to help salvage the situation after Lee's horrendous retreat during the pursuit of the British army in 1778. He continued to lead a distinguished career throughout the war. Overall, he spent greater than $200,000 of his own money supporting the Revolution. In later years, Lafayette did much to facilitate political and economic relationhips between France and the newly founded United States. Throughout his life he was a proponent of representative government in France.

How many 19 year olds do YOU know who can do what he did?

<snipped>: to match the rest of the deleted posts. ;)

Sorry for degenerating into an insult fest, XIII!

One man's hero is another's villain.

Which is why I dislike these kinds of best ruler, best empire, best military kinda threads, since it's really dependant on your personal taste.

From now on, just state your heroes, and go. If you want to criticize, start a new thread.

These aren't my heroes but they are my favorite because they were absolutely out of control

Caligula: Third emperor of Rome, insane, made himself a god, he was pretty awesome

Livia- wife of Augustus, accused of poisioning half her family in order to preserve the empire, ultimate *****

Cato- orator and bigger liar than ari fleitcher, donald rumsfeld and George W. Bush put together(if it's possible), got Rome to raze an ailing Carthage to the ground cause he could, ******* but interesting guy

Here's some of mine -

Alexander the Great - This guy knew how to conquest. He was brilliant.

Winston Churchill - If there was ever a case of the absolute right man being there at the absolute right time, it was him.

Robert E. Lee - It's easy to attribute his successes to the brilliance of his generals, but what makes him so impressive to me is the internal struggles he must endured, and the dogged determination he endured them with. A great man, in every sense of the word.

And one more for good measure -

Abraham Lincoln - A brilliant man, but a simple man with a simple mindset - preserving the United States. Most others would have buckled under the pressure he endured. We can only imagine it. A man who never wasted a single word.

I don't have any "heroes" as such, but there are indeed three personalities in history which keep fascinating me. I can't think of the proper wording for explanations, though, so you might have to wait for that.
The three are: Darius III, Great King of Persia (336-330 BC)

Respect and sympathy is what I feel for him.

Gaius Caesar aka Caligula, Emperor of Rome (39-41 AD)

One of the most fascinating products of humanity.

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

I don't think I need to add anything here.

Jesus of Nazareth- he wasn't a warrior, leader of a nation, or even well-liked while he lived- but he made a huge impact on the world.

Franklin D. Roosevelt- any man who is elected leader of one nation four times in a row is worthy of admiration. I've always liked him because of his "fireside chats" and such.

King David of Israel- he was chased by a nation's king and a nation's army and still manage to survive and eventually become king.

1) Armand Jean du Plessis, Cardinal of Richelieu.

Yes, the infamnous one. The one who "supposedly" (Sayeth Holywood, whose respect for history is as we all know sterling [/sarcasm]) sought to take the throne of France. One of the most vilified character of history because in a single novel he ordered a single necklace stolen.

Yet, Richelieu was very easily the french Bismarck, strengthening France and playing off briliantly against her enemies. A man who gave a great impulse to french art as well as french oversea exploration. He reunited France, taking La Rochelle in 1628. He founded the french academy, increased the size of the Sorbonne university, fought for an increase in the power of the french navy. He succesfully created a french-english alliance against the Habsburg, and struck a hardsh blow to cut communication between french, spain and austria.

In other words, he was a great statesman and someone who truly sought the best for his nation (the state, not the inhabitants, as was understood back then). He is also one of history's figure who has been done the greatest injustice by fiction authors, taking Dumas's portrayal of a hard yet honorable and truly good (ie, seeking the well-being of France) man who schemed against the queen (who, let us not forget, was "sort of" talking state secrets and having affairs with people from England, Spain and various other countries France wasn'T exactly on good terms wtih), and turning him into a cold schemer out to seize the throne.

I'd have to think on the other two. And no, the general from whom I draw my name wouldn't be one of them.

Number 2: George S. Patton, Jr.

The following is actually from a book review (biography), but it pretty much sums up my feelings for the man.

George Patton, a veteran of the Pershing expedition to Mexico in 1916 (where he killed three of Pancho Villas men, one a key subordinate, in a man to man gunfight), World War I (where he commanded the fledgling US Tank Brigade and was wounded and decorated for valor), and World War II, is one of the most misjudged and underrated combat commanders in American military history.

An expert tactician, strategist, and trainer, he was proud, profance, outspoken, a soldier's soldier, led from the front, shared his men's hardships, led what was undoubtedly the best American field army of the war, and was the only American general the Germans feared.

3. Patton - Brilliant and bold individual and tactician, yet his outspoken personality was a root to many of the reasons his plans weren't taken, for example his idea to conscript the Wehrmacht and invade the USSR

2. Napoleon - Not only a good tactician but a good statesman, established universal male sufferage, freedom of religion, and provided equal education for all classes

1. Teddy Roosevelt - Helped change America from the old ways of late 1800's into the 20th century by establishing minimum wage, increasing natural areas protected by the federal government, made tougher anti-trust laws, won first American Noble Prize by resolving Russo-Japanese War, and modernizing the Navy. Also how he resigned as Assistant Secretary of the Navy to lead a cavalry group and leading the charge up San Juan Hill in the Spainish-American War.

He didnt beat the Romans at Teutoburg forset- they Romans didnt fight, it was an ambush

Like I said, if you want to criticize, start a new thread. Stop hijacking this thread... - XIII

Karl Marx
Founder of modern Communism and writer of the Communist Manifesto. He brought new ideas and change to the world and his ideas are excellent ones. However, when put into practice by leaders such as Lenin, Stalin, and Mao, they were altered to suit the leaders, making his ideas a failure in the eyes of many. His ideas have made a large impact on history, good and bad.

Martin Luther
Founder of Protestantism and writer of the 95 Theses. He founded a sect of Christianity that has millions of followers and made a profound impact on European history for centuries after his life. Followed his religious ideals with little regard for his own life, rejected and condemned by many, he got rid of much corruption in the Church and encouraged people to stop doing what the Church told them to do.

The Prophet Mohammed
Founder of Islam. Made a huge impact on the world even a millenia after his death. His ideas shaped much of the world today and unfortunately, many abuse his ideas and from them come alot of the terrorism in the world.

Top Bottom