Your achievements 2021

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
I think we have had sich a thread in each of the last years. And while 2021 was again somewhat crap, it makes it even more important to look back at the good things.

So, what did you do in 2021, which was important, new, or otherwise worthy being remembered (by yourself, I mean)?

My list:
- First time that I was in Paris and saw the Eiffel Tower. Many people seem to dislike it, but I think it's quite nice to see
- First time I rode a horse
- First time I was in a spa and a sauna. I expected to not like the sauna, but actually the opposite is the case
-- first time I was nude in a spa and sauna. Was surprisingly more relaxed than expected :lol:
- I managed to lose like... 7kg
- At the same time I got stronger, and recovered most of my gym strength from before the pandemic (now 85 kg body weight, 100 kg squat/deadlift)
- I spent some lovely time with my now ex-GF
- I celebrated my birthday with many of my friends
- I explored more of France, visited 4 more cities (besides Paris)

Overall not too bad of a year, surprisingly :).

I didn't get covid.

My King's Heir writing project gained another 75-80,000 words, and I have the beginnings of several other fanfics.

I achieved the dubious, temporary distinction as a "top fan" on my MLA's FB page. This is hilarious as I actually loathe her, and it's obvious that this distinction is based on post count, not the contents of my posts.

Four days to go before I can definitively comment:

Youth flakes may skip to 7

1) Got to the end of the year (at my age an achievement)
2) Survived getting Covid 19
3) Recovered well from tooth extraction
4) Two successful cataract operations.
5) No increased or new medication needed.
6) Kept going to the gym (albeit intermittently).

My apologies to all those thoroughly bored by now,
but alas, this is what becoming elderly means.

7) Survived one year of very repetitive Covid and Brexit boredom.
8) No traffic accidents, parking tickets or speeding fines and most particularly emergency stopped
sufficient times to not kill unlit pedestrians, cyclists, e-scooters at night. on several occasions.
9) Bought a better car.
10) Got a lodger in.
11) Not lost any more UK relatives.
12) Took up and did alright at 4 player chess.

1. Met my gf :)
2. She got prgenant :undecide: :eek::run::help:
3. Did a 4-month personal training program
4. Got a job
5. Cut off my former best friend who I had a pretty toxic relationship with'
6. Became slightly more of a minimalist
I take it that this was an unwelcome surprise?

Sorry I can't really help. I'm much better at giving advice on adopting/rehoming cats than I am with human children.

If it's too personal a question, feel free to say so - but I am curious. How does your daughter feel about having a sibling?

- First time that I was in Paris and saw the Eiffel Tower. Many people seem to dislike it, but I think it's quite nice to see

That's because you are unwittingly part of the
upload_2021-12-27_22-41-53.png

I take it that this was an unwelcome surprise?
It's fine. I'm happy about it just nervous as well.

If it's too personal a question, feel free to say so - but I am curious. How does your daughter feel about having a sibling?
She thinks it's cool. I did promise her a sibling ages ago, they'll be an almost 14 year age difference but hopefully they'll still be close.

She thinks it's cool. I did promise her a sibling ages ago, they'll be an almost 14 year age difference but hopefully they'll still be close.
No vasectomy yet? :nono:

Has she realized yet that she's the obvious choice to babysit? :mischief:

Unless she's not comfortable around babies, or you'd prefer an older person, when it does come time to take a break occasionally.

I remember finally putting my foot down about babysitting babies, and set the minimum age at the kids being housebroken and able to tell me what they wanted or needed so I wouldn't have to guess.

It sounds like things are normal in your situation. It would be unusual if parents-to-be aren't somewhat nervous.

I
...... they'll be an almost 14 year age difference but hopefully they'll still be close.
That's the exact age gap between me and my oldest brother. I always got along with him the best growing up.

Has she realized yet that she's the obvious choice to babysit? :mischief:

Unless she's not comfortable around babies, or you'd prefer an older person, when it does come time to take a break occasionally.

I remember finally putting my foot down about babysitting babies, and set the minimum age at the kids being housebroken and able to tell me what they wanted or needed so I wouldn't have to guess.

It sounds like things are normal in your situation. It would be unusual if parents-to-be aren't somewhat nervous.
She likes kids. My gf has a 2.5yo from a previous relationship & she (my daughter) is good w/ her. Probably wouldn't be keen on changing diapers & whatnot but we'll see.

In order of importance, you will have to guess if decreasing or increasing: :mischief:

1. Left my GF. This time definitely.
2. Got promoted at job, having enough money to fullfil all my foolish whims, which lead to number 3.:
3. Bought a second roadster for my incipient roadster collection. A Mazda MX-5 nc to keep company to my Opel GT.
4. Discovered inversion therapy which really help with my sempiternal spine issues.

tbh, not that much on the achievement side.

Got promoted, but in hindsight I liked my old position better :/

I will have to ponder on this, but being here is certainly very high on my list.

2021 was actually a fairly good year for me, although it started out very slowly. But once I got fully vaccinated, I set out to make up for lost time, and did that fairly well. As I was telling a friend recently, I tried more new things in 2021 than in any year since at least college. Possibly since I joined CFC.

- Explored a lot of the Appalachians while traveling from NC to NY. Climbed some mountains. Found I really enjoy hiking + mountain vacations.
- Traveled five times as far by bicycle as in any previous year, over 1600 miles/2500 kilometers. In combination with the above, got in legitimately good shape for probably the first time ever.
- Went on a beach vacation for the first time, found that I enjoyed it, particularly the waves in the ocean. Though I'd probably get bored after more than 3 days or so.
- Added two more states to the "visited" list, that had only been "traveled through" before - Indiana and West Virginia. Went back to two states I hadn't visited to 10+ years - New York and Maryland.
- Somewhat learned to ski. Still at a very basic level, but no longer at zero.
- Successfully re-integrated with society after 2020. Took a month to a month and a half to re-acclimate post-vaccination. I'm arguably more comfortable socializing with people I don't know than I was pre-pandemic.
- Drastically improved my mental health compared to 2020, with the prior items (and increased socialization in general) largely being why.
- Became more willing to try new things in general.

It was definitely a happier and more-life-accomplishments year than 2020.

Top Bottom