Your best start?

Iron59

Chieftain
What is your best starting position(in your opinion) in a game of Civ 4? Mine was when there was marble to far northeast or me, cows to my northeast, and two ivory east of me. However, the veterans may say otherwise, probably. :mischief:

Here:

So, what's your best start? :cool:

that's your BEST start? lol. I like food starts. I don't have a screenie but I had a start with two land food resources in the inner ring and three clams on my coast in the outer ring. Pretty good start...lol.

Not enough food for my liking. What about this?

Attachments

• DrunkMansa.JPG
    DrunkMansa.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 651
A long time ago I had a 4FP+cows start as saladin. I settled in place and was surprised to see 3 gold on plains hills to the north, all adjacent to the river, and all within the bfc! I got carried away pumping out techs and building wonders and got pwnd by Alex. In fact, that horrible experience was the subject of my first ever cfc post.

I recently had a start with two riverside grassland corn, 2 fish and one clam, 1 gold, 2 fresh water lakes, and horses revealed at AH. My second city, placed because of the marble, gold, and abundant sea resources in it's BFC, ended up being on top of iron. This was my first playthrough as the Romans (or at least the first in years, I may have played them when I first got Civ4 when it came out), and I had a pretty easy domination win.

I played a game a while back where I had 3 fw corn, all around a lake, about a dozen river tiles including a gl hill which proved to have copper, and a fish and a clam...Another hill would later be revealed to have coal. And another would reveal gold at about 2400 BC (the rest of the land was flat). It was the kind of town that could whip whatever it wanted...but didn't really need to. Once I had Steam Engine, every tile save one coastal and one lake tile would be either a special resource or a cottaged riverside grassland.

I don't have a pic, but I drew it on paint. Sorry it's really bad. and the only water tiles were the clams.

The first picture is how I started. Seemed like a great location, but the blue circle suggested 1 SE, so I thought what the heck and moved there, and the second picture is what I saw. The surrounding land was pretty great as well and that game ended up being one of my highest scores. (Sorry no resources indicators, but I think you can tell what everything is.)

Attachments

• start2.jpg
    start2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 362
  • start3.jpg
    start3.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 450
Playing as Julius Caesar:

• 3 clams
  • 3 riverside gold on plains hills
  • Popped a hut next to the Settler and received Bronze Working. :eek:

He-lloooooooo, domination win... :goodjob:

i got a 3 clam, 2 fish and a corn start. That city can support so many GP.

2 clams 2 fish, corn and cows, pop growth was ridiculous.

Plus it had stone at about 5 squares out so it didn't do badly for buildings either.

No picture as I won that one ages ago but it was sweet, monarch level too quite a challenging level.

Oh and a few hills and would you believe it iron turned up in my second city so I was sitting pretty with camels and just cruising.

A long time ago I had a 4FP+cows start as saladin. I settled in place and was surprised to see 3 gold on plains hills to the north, all adjacent to the river, and all within the bfc! I got carried away pumping out techs and building wonders and got pwnd by Alex. In fact, that horrible experience was the subject of my first ever cfc post.

I had once (about 2 days ago) the exact same start :O. I still have it on save I think.

No screenshot but I rolled a nice start yesterday. Five seafood (I think it was 2 clam, 2 crab, 1 fish), 1 cows, 1 corn, and a calendar resource (silk IIRC). I re-rolled, waaayy too easy. There may even have been another resource in the fog, I didnt even bother to check.

best start was one with just rice and forest all around with some mines. I played it a little then when I got to the later turns, resources started popping out. Got a gem and gold i think on my mines and a nearby horse and iron. :) good things happen to those who wait i guess.

Top Bottom