Your best start?

BUG, parts of Blue Marble and the textures from BAT, bashed together in a decidedly inelegant way.

I had some strange interactions of BUG and Blue Marble and generally a lot of trouble with perfectly innocent mods that shouldn't cause any. This was a last-ditch effort to get something that didn't mess up BUG while looking better than the default graphics (didn't care for many of the other visual changes in BAT)... I'm reasonably happy with it.

My best start in the last little while (obviously this isn't the start of the game, but I don't have a save from then):

The silver to the SE of Timbuktu wasn't there initially, but popped quite early in the game. The ridiculously large river was a nice touch, as I got two incredible cottage cities on it (Niani to the E being the other one, which has a gem tile of its own just off the eastern edge of this pic).

^ I just love seeing thigs where your in the "future" era in late 1800's lol. Well i dont remember my best bit i remember my worst. Desert islands ; (

With that good a start, reaching it around 1600 wouldn't be surprising.

Very low and very high-level games can result in ridiculous tech speeds even without a killer start.

I just had to post this. :)

Spoiler :

Planet Generator, Large Map, 11 other civs. I'm on a little island all by myself, with room for 10 cities in total. I've got Horses, Copper, Iron, Coal, Aluminium and Oil, but no Uranium.

Bump

@Sleeping Dragon: How'd you reach modern era by 1856 AD?:confused:

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of cottages (mostly riverside) + Financial + Free Speech - when I won the game around 1900 by Space Race I had 97 Towns and 1 Hamlet according to the Stats page. I also got lucky in more than just the starting location, I managed to block Mehmed off with some aggressive early settling, only to discover that there was enough land to the north of us to settle another 7 or 8 cities. Ended with about a quarter of the world's land mass and population and I didn't have to fight anyone for it except a few barbarians.

Matty R- those production values don't look right. What happened?

Matty R- those production values don't look right. What happened?

I'm using two of my custom traits. Like Financial (+1 Commerce on tiles with 2 Commerce), I have Productive (+1 Hammer on tiles with 2 Hammers) and Agricultural (+1 Food on tiles with 2 Food).

I'm still learning about the game, and want a change. :)

I dont have a screen shot but my best start was my city had 4! 4!!! 4!!!! deer to start with 4!!!! im not even kidding, 4!!! and I was next to a river

Bump

@Sleeping Dragon: How'd you reach modern era by 1856 AD?:confused:

lol reaching modern era by 1900 isnt hard but hes advancing to the futeure era btw. maybe its because you never tried marathon?

I haven't had any really memorable starts - I like lots of food like everyone else does, but a really great start to me would be food + precious metals. Food is great, but it's nice to have the happiness to grow past size 5, pre-HR.

The best start I ALMOST had was my first Monarch game with Huayna Capac. Found Paris very quickly and Quecha-rushed it. 2 Clams, Corn, 5 Grassland Gems, at least 3 on a river. I was :eek:

lol reaching modern era by 1900 isnt hard but hes advancing to the futeure era btw. maybe its because you never tried marathon?

I have the vanilla version with no patches...so I have no Marathon game speed.

The AI always gets the best starts on my games - two examples.

Attachments

• Montezuma1.jpg
    Montezuma1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 187
  • AugustusCaesar1.jpg
    AugustusCaesar1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 152
Here's one of my favourite starts. I was Willem and put Dike and Moais there on a hammer poor archipelago map, won quite easily in the end.

Attachments

• Willem1.jpg
    Willem1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 155
Probably not the best start I've ever rolled, as I always regen starts that are going to be just too easy, but here's one I've kept.

I like high food starts.

Personally, my best start was when I got 3 settlers to pop from villages in a row. Still playing, but not sure if the AI can catch me now.

Top Bottom