1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

your choice of up to 3 uniques for each tribe

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by daft, Mar 17, 2014.

1. daft

daft The fargone

Suppose in Civ6 we get to play with up to 3 unique units per each tribe, make a list of your preferred unique units for each existing Civ5 tribe and add any nations you'd like to be in Civ6 and list their possible unique units as well.
    Existing tribes:
    Rome: 1. LEGION 2. PRAETORIAN 3. BALLISTA
    Greece: 1. HOPLITE 2 SPARTAN 3 TRIREME-ship (Spartan would be a unit only available for creation in the city of Sparta or by any city settled/colonized by a Spartan settler/colonist.)
    France: 1. Musketeer 2 Trebuchet 3 Foreign Legion
    Japan; 1 Samurai 2 Zero 3 Ninja (Ronin)
    China: 1 Cho ko nu 2 Ming warrior(arquebusier) 3 junk ship
    India: 1 Indian war elephant 2 Raj(put) warrior 3 poison archers
    Britain: 1 Red Coat 2 Ship of the Line(Man o' War) 3 Sea Dog(superior privateer) (or Spitfire fighter)
    Byzantium: 1 Dromon(fire ship) 2 cataphract 3 varangian guard (legion should be available to them as well-they were the eastern Roman empire)

Future tribes:
    Macedonia: 1 Companions 2 Phalanx-(Macedonian phalanx was a separate and superior unit compared to the Greek hoplite), got no 3rd
    Scotland: 1 Highlanders 2 Scottish Pikemen, no 3rd again

,this is only a start, want to see if this thread will catch on.

2. Alexey86

Alexey86 Chieftain

Russia: Cossack, T-34 tank, syberian warriors(replaces rifleman and are weeker but trained faster and no maintance at all:p )

America : Minuteman, either B17 or F15, Marines or Special Forces. Lots of options for America.

Germany : Teutonic Knights, Panzer and another unit from WW1or2 since they were such a beast.

3. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

I think if you were going in this direction you would probably have to allow quite a bit of UU overlap between Civs of similiar race/culture...
    One note about Byzantium - I think the Legion code was disbanded by the early 7th century so I wouldn't give them that.

Cathage: African Forest Elephant, Quinquereme, Sacred Band (same combat stats as Greek Hoplite just more expensive in comparison)

4. HanNorwood

HanNorwood .exe

Aztecs- Jaguar, Eagle Warrior (Replaces swordsman, slightly stronger.), Tlamacazqui (replaces missionary. Has a combat strength equal to the basic unit of the current era.(

5. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

that depends on what you mean by "quite a bit of overlap."
    if you mean "same unit," everyone so far has forgotten about buildings and improvements, so adding at least one of those for everybody can easily free up some space for different units.
    if you mean "kind of the same unit," that's going to happen anyway. there are already a lot of pretty similar units with just a little bit of difference. i mean, the war chariot and the horse archer aren't too terribly different, both being chariots that don't require horses and then have something else. and then look at how many elephants there are. the camel archer and the keshik are both ranged replacements for the knight. the legion is a slightly stronger swordsman and the musketeer is a slightly stronger musketman. etc, etc.

6. daft

daft The fargone

I've got:
    Carthage: 1 African Elephant(should be the strongest and most expensive elephant unit in the game) 2 Quinqereme ship 3 Numidian Spearman-similar to Civ3
    Germany: 1 Panzer(Tiger) tank 2 U boat sub 3 Teutonic Knights or Messerschmitt fighter or Stuka dive bomber(they made wicked noise), perhaps armored(land) transports-similar to tanks, don't think they'd include SS Paratroopers.
    America: tons of options, Marines-other nations would get inferior Marine Infantry-if that's a no go then Navy Seals should be back, B-17(more powerful-capable of carrying atomic bombs), Blue Jacket cavalry/riflemen, minutemen, one of the F series jet fighter/bombers, Stealth Fighters/Bombers- made only American, more options as well.
    Russia. 1 Cossack cavalry 2 Strelets musketman 3 Katyusha mobile rocket launcher from WWII, or one of the T series tanks, MIG jet fighters, quite a few options for them as well.
    Vikings(Scandinavia)-Vikings were originally from several Scandinavian nations, not just Denmark.
    units: 1 Berserk 2 Longboat(ship) 3 Viking-imagine this unit would replace swordsman for the Vikings, be inferior to the available later berserk.
    Inca? 1 slinger, with 2 and 3 could go back to the previous civ's Quechua and Chasqui scout.
    Can't come up with 3 units for Egypt or Babylon.
    Perhaps some kind of High Priest and/or Pyramid builder for Egypt? in military they didn't seem to invent much.

7. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

also, i did some thinking and put down some ideas for letters a through c. as expected, some civilizations are more difficult than others, but there's always the possibility of more research going into it than i did.

america should have a settler that can defend (or a scout that can settle). other than that maybe a skyscraper building that replaces the broadcast tower and gives more culture than whatever the next iteration of it gives would be a good idea. for the third unique, i don't really care too much. there could be a minuteman that's just how it is now or even an army ranger that replaces infantry and does something cool. like daft said, there are tons of options for america, but one of the options definitely needs to be a strong infantry unit.
    arabia would definitely get the camel archer and maybe the madrassa could return, or maybe even the mosque. or both, maybe with one of them as an improvement. this might be one of the harder ones to deal with.
    armenia (new!), admittedly basing this on my idea for them in the leaders wanted thread, could get thanvar azadan (archery units), khachkar (a monument replacement or maybe an improvement) and nakahar (swordsmen/longswordsmen)
    assyria would probably have the tower again and maybe even the royal library. i could also see them with a swordsman that comes a little earlier, just not sure what to call it.
    austria would get the hussar and the opera house, uh, maybe a jobaggy unit as a worker replacement? i don't know too much about austria/austria-hungary and it looks like jobaggy means serf in hungarian.
    aztecs would get the jaguar warrior and either a sacrificial altar or the hanging gardens. the third unique can be shorn one.
    babylon would obviously get the bowman again and probably a ziggurat. i don't know what else. i guess walls of babylon could work in a pinch, but i'd rather not.
    byzantines can get the dromon, the cataphract and the hippodrome.
    carthage would get the numidian cavalry, the african forest elephant and the cothon.
    celts would get the <insert celtic group> warrior like always, maybe the ceilidh hall and the druid
    china would get the cho-ko-nu, the pavilion and probably a grendae unit of some kind, since they had the first gunpowder grenades. the byzantines had greek fifre grenades first, but dromons representing greek fire are fine with me.

8. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Rome, America, China etc aren't tribes. They're nations/civilisations. A tribe would be like the Iceni or the Shoshone.

9. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Indonesia, because they are the only civ I know enough about:

I'd scrap the Kris Swordsman. (But not entirely, you'll see what I mean below)

Instead:

Bhayangkara (replaces Pikeman)
    -More expensive to build
    (Reasoning: They were the elite royal guards and their weapons required incredibly sophisticated smithing skills)

-Random Mystic Blade promotion
    (Reasoning: Bhayangkara carried a Kris sword in battle. Though it was used infrequently as a secondary weapon, it was the fuel needed for many soliders to have courage to fight. I would completely revamp the promotions though)

- +10% combat strength on land tiles adjacent to at least one coastal tile
    (Reasoning: To reflect their strength as "archipelago warriors")

Javanese Warship (replaces Galleass)
    -Higher combat strength
    (Reasoning: to reflect how they were one of the heaviest ships for a period of time, even more so than the Japanese and Portuguese.)

-May cross a maximum of two ocean tiles before Astronomy
    (Reasoning: To reflect how Indonesia met many far away "civs" very early on through their ships. Increases potential to trade with civs you would have otherwise not met sooner)

-Ignores open borders
    (Reasoning: Same as above. Increases potential to meet civs sooner if borders are blocked off. HP lost if ending turn in foreign borders)

Laksamana (replaces Great Admiral)
    -Garrisoned Laksamanas cost no maintenance and increase :c5gold: gold from naval trade routes by +2
    (Reasoning: To reflect how they were instrumental in diplomacy by allowing for more lucrative business)

-Laksamanas adjacent to city-state borders gain +30% more :c5gold: gold when demanding tribute
    (Reasoning: To reflect Majapahit's power and influence over neighbor states)

-Unit not consumed after quick heal, but may only quick heal once
    (Reasoning: So you can use them as a garrison for extra gold)

10. OneRedBlock

OneRedBlock Chieftain

I just want my England to have Redcoats, so I don't have to go to the trouble of renaming all my Musketmen.

I don't know why I do it, it's just something I enjoy.

11. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

going to try d-f and probably go by three letters at a time every few days until i finish the alphabet or decide to stop. admittedly, a lot of these ones are going to be lazy:
    Danish: just combine vikings from civ 4 and denmark from civ 5. berserker, ski infantry (conveniently leaving out the "norwegian" label) and trading post
    Dutch: east indiaman, dike, polder
    Egypt: war chariot, obelisk, october class (just because it would make me giggle if egypt had a modern unit among all of its ancient focus, plus it shows that we know egypt is a modern country, too)
    England: redcoat, ship-of-the-line, country house? i actually don't know what to have for the third unique, which is kind of weird. i'm tempted to say longbowman, but i don't really want anyone to have three units.
    Ethiopia: stele, agaw archer (i'm thinking a medieval unit, rather than an ancient one, since they ruled the zagwe dynasty), mehal safari
    France: chateau (probably as a building instead of an improvement, though), musketeer, foreign legion