1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Experience Starting New Game with Spring 2017 Patch

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by BTSeven7, Mar 28, 2017.

1. BTSeven7

BTSeven7 Chieftain

Well, I will say on my first impression the 50 turn attack your neighbor is a lot different! I have started two games now, both as Persia and upon sending over four archers and a warrior I was unable to conquer my neighbor on my King. The AI seems to be using its archers much more efficiently. For starters, the archer in the city was firing every turn unlike before on King where sometimes he would sit there and do nothing. Certainly going to have to think of some new strategies out the gate.

Anyone else seeing a difference? Also, both games on "random" map Persia started in the Tundra. Thought that seemed a little odd.

No complaints here but will be curious if early game strategy changes. Is there a better option then only rolling up with a bunch of archers and a warrior? I always wondered if that was the best strategy even before the patch.

soundwaveuk likes this.
  2. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Enjoying Cyrus while I wait for Ged to do the TSLs. He's a good counterpart to Sumeria.

Oddly, the new wonder descriptions are in a language foreign to me.

Having fun.

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Definately tougher, definately got lucky on deity in my second game... My first game I was slaughtered like a lamb by 2 barb swordsmen and 3 archers having taken a bit of kongo but not following it up.

Second game I got one spanish city and while i have no fresh water I did have a hell of a lot of plains hills. Went to sea and got a bit lucky in a joint war with gilga against Peter... Not finished but seems downhill now but I did have to restore twice as the AI is pretty good on defence and counterattack now

4. agonistes

Yep, definately smarter AI. I'm only on prince, but Victoria and Poland are being annoying... .

I did note you can declare friends on your own turn now too! Yea!

5. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

with Persia you actually want to build 2-3 warriors and 2-3 slingers early when you are running the Agoge card. They are all cheap upgrades. All of a sudden you have an instant army of Immortals/archers. The Immortals can take a lot more damage than archers, and still have 2 range. They can't take cities though, so you have to sneak in a heavy chariot or horseman in somewhere to get the last blow on the city.

6. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

For the first time in Civ VI, I lost a city in the atomic age from an amphibious invasion. Barbarossa. Now, I will take the city back, but this is encouraging. I'm at war with America and Germany and both have had some successful amphibious operations.

7. Ogro

Ogro Chieftain

Wait!? Was Yosemite natural wonder nerfed from 3 to 2 tiles??? :undecide:

8. yanner39

yanner39 Emperor

Did they also increase the city strenght of cities, both AI and city-state? tried to invade nearby city-state wither my 4 archers and it was a struggle.

9. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

It might just be the AI is upgrading the units better. The city strength is calculated based on the strength of one's army

10. agonistes

Cyrus' bonus movement is handy.
    :lol:

11. Shichiaikan

Shichiaikan Chieftain

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2017
    Flatline23 and MisterBoomBoom like this.
  12. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

This thread is encouraging. Last patch, I couldn't even finish my Australia game out of boredom. Looking forward to trying this patch after I finish my XCOM 2 game.

13. Timothy001

Timothy001 Prince

WOW. Lost my first 2 games. Got rushed by Sparta and Persia game 1. Had 2 cities. both fell in 3 turns. They had archers and spearmen. no hope. 2nd game, got hit bad by barbarians, then Scythia cleaned me up. All as Alexander. Third game, also as Alex, Sparta changed hands 4 times in the game, all with walls. First Perisa, than England, then Pericles, and finally me. All that's left is Persia (2 cities left) Then just met Egypt and 1 unmet. Going for it all.

agonistes and oedali like this.
  14. gunnerxtr

gunnerxtr King

Does it seem like the AI is much more war mongering? Or simply more effective?

15. No-Man

No-Man Chieftain

Loved your reviews. Can't wait to try the new patch!

Haig likes this.
  16. Xaviarlol

Xaviarlol Warlord

Would love to see those detailed experiments that guy did last patch using autoplay to see how much better the AI is.

17. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

18. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

No early DOW and a medieval war.

Got my first game as Australia. Coming off deity (pre patch) domination victory I dropped to King to see if I could get my science game back on track while working my peaceful opening.

Started next to Poland and America. No early wars declared by the AI on me. Poland stayed tight and didn't expand in my direction while America had enough space to expand without pushing up against my borders.

Granted they both DOW'd me in the medieval era but thats after I expanded pretty aggressively into the neutral zones.

I had a wall of city state allies separating me from America otherwise it could have been interesting. As it was the three city states decimated Americas attack forces and I gratefully took his gold for peace.

Meanwhile Poland just allied one of my former CS allies and its about to get ugly as they have a huge force in all the wrong places.

Otherwise Poland has been quiet. I'll be asking for peace as soon as I can as the CS can wreak havoc on my secondary cities. Meanwhile Persia looms at the end of the world with at least one CS absorbed into their empire.

Overall the AI played nice with their settling habits as did I, so no early wars. America likely masterminded the joint DOW and they had appropriate aggression. Poland seemed to play the role of silent partner as I didn't see much from them.

19. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I did notice longer periods last night, just run the autoplay benchmark though

Before the patch 21 ms
    After the patch 18 ms - run twice 18 both times

I could and did do this pre patch....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
    nzcamel likes this.
  20. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Was always 2 tiles.