your favorite leader

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ChiefTonfa, Aug 12, 2009.

1. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

Creative means that the dude needs 2 more longbows in the city, so each; compared to philosophical it's weak for the culture flips on their right own and often you need a bomb.. (or sushi for that).

2. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Civ 4,where many things are overpowered and Firaxis fix's 1/2 of it.

3. TheWilltoAct

TheWilltoAct I am observe

I'd assume that's all that was meant.
    And I agree with you.

I'm fairly new to civ 4 and culture is one of many facets I am trying to understand better. Are you saying that having those longbows will keep the city from culture flipping or something? :confused:

4. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I'm not sure what my favorite leader is. I guess that's good, as it prevents me from relying on 1 leader too much.

Maybe Gandhi, Hatshepsut, or Darius I.

5. ladedadedum

ladedadedum Chieftain

Anther vote for Darius I here.

6. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

More military in a city reduces the chance of revolt.

7. Gaga1111

Gaga1111 Warlord

In my opinion JC as I won my first noble and prince game with him
    (yes I actually beated noble often ).Darius seems great and just played with my cousin a great hotseat game with Qin (he was JC) and I will surely give Nap. a try again.

8. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

ok, Darius and Gandhi;
    enough military negates the chance for revolt.
    what adds up in the past is not so important as the pressure culture pressure. units stands as culture defense.

9. Pim

Pim Stadtholder

Augustus and Elizabeth,
    With the first one I got my first noble victory(Cre for early expansion and UU for early wars) and Elizabeth because i like a CE and SS's

10. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

I got my first noble victory with Willem.

Terra Map, with a war in every era (i fought Asoka with warriors, HC with axes, Joao with maces, Toku with rifles, then Survy peacefully vassaled to me and then Rome capped afterwords with infantry. Conquest, like 1800AD.)

11. Bostock

Bostock King

The decision on which forests to chop is easy -- all of them! :devil:

12. Psimon

Psimon Chieftain

I'm not sold on Ghandi yet (UU: "Fast worker" sounds of head thumping the monitor. )

I'm just playing him on Noble trying for my first religion-based win. Somehow I ended up owning ALL the religions & sites, although I'm promoting Hinduism. To my north is Shaka, who loves me, even as I'm culture-flipping his cities. He's too busy gobbling up Charlemagne's empire to the west or fighting the Amercians (Lincoln) to the north. South is Pericles, whom I'm at war with (he's occupying coastal cities on the south coast). Somewhere completely off the continent is the world's lone pagan, Sitting Bull. Naturally he doesn't like me much, and with our closed borders I can't get a missionary in there.

One of my favorite leaders, as I mentioned before, is Hatshepsut. I like to either play as Egypt or, even better, have her as a friend and ally. (I'm partial to Ancient Egypt). The problem is, everyone seems to HATE the Egyptians. They develop a hate for her, and they develop it early. Why is this, hm. Is it possible someone so cute has horrible diplomacy?

13. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

While growing to max size you want your forests as long as possible since the lower health will hinder your growth. Sure two grassland farms beats out the unhealth you get from two forests, but you also have to be able to work those tiles to benefit from the extra food.
    So if your city is size 14 and you have 4 forests in your BFC, you might want to wait with cutting them until you are size 17-18.

14. Bostock

Bostock King

The fast worker is available from turn 1, never goes obsolete, and is never unavailable due to a lacking strategic resource. It's also the fastest unit for scouting civs with open borders until the modern age, when another 3-move unit becomes available IIRC (but you'll likely already have traded for their map by then anyway -- not the case with the Fast Worker).

Meanwhile, every turn saved when your fast worker e.g. gets started chopping a forest the same turn as he visits it is another turn saved on getting your Stonehenge on... or your first settler, or your axe rush. Gandhi is one of my favorite warmongers...

15. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

If I play a game as India, I always feel like my boots are in lead in the following game (when I don't have fast workers). They are easily the best UU imo.

It's funny though how one's assessment of favorite leaders can change as one moves from one tactic to the next. While I still like a lot of my financial leaders, I've decided Mehmed is my current favorite (and I expect this to change again sometime soon). Hammams are incredible, Jannissaries a powerful offensive weapon for a tech leader, and being an ORG leader, the ability to REX without crashing the economy is something I love. The leader/civ benefits are so good, I generally don't bother even trying to build a wonder until the Renaissance (unless I find myself in a good position to rip off the Oracle in a hurry).

16. Protozoan

Protozoan Warlord

Victoria. I do awesome with her nearly every game I've played.
    Caeser and Darius are also really good leaders for me. And Capac.

17. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Which Caesar?

18. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

I don't have a specific favourite, just a group of leader I like more than others. Brennus, Saladin, Monty, Justin and both Egyptians.
    Spiritual is my top trait and each of those leaders has one of my fav UBs, some UUs I like a lot in there too, namely the Gallic and Jaguar.

19. Protozoan

Protozoan Warlord

I got my highest score with him 100K on noble as Julius Caeser. Praetorian rampages are fun, and ORG helps for large empires. But I get consistently good victories with Victoria, and I feel I use her traits a lot better.

Still if I could use the Org trait a bit better I'd probably say Darius.

20. hunterai

hunterai Chieftain

After reading about Darius, and realizing I have never tried him much, I decided to give him a trial on small high sea level pangaea map.

Starting location has 3 elephants and a corn - all on grassland riversides. There is also a hut within 2 moves of my starting scout. After claiming the hut, I got... Animal Husbandry. :eek:

And guess what popped beside the 'phants in my BFC? A horse!!! :lol:

This is going to be a short game :goodjob: