1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite map type

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by fearthereaper, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

Yeah... I suppose I'm really boring, but I play Standard Continents. All the time. A hundred games by now at least. Every now and then I generate a couple other maps and check them out, maybe even play a few turns. And I always tell myself that I'd be a better player if I tried different map types. But I like the way Standard Continents maps lend themselves to so many strategies depending on your leader. Sometimes you can turtle, sometimes you have to fight, usually it's somewhere in between. And as mentioned, I love those first few turns when I meet the other continent and figure out where in the pecking order my continent's civs ended up. I feel like a lot of the more unusual map types might totally screw me over depending on the leader I draw, and I definitely want to stick with random leaders. With continents, I feel like I can always make it work somehow, no matter who I get.

I think I'll go check out a few maps right now... I haven't tried out the new BtS ones yet.

2. Jewman

Jewman Prince

agreed. perfect world does create some pretty juicy maps at a fairly frequent rate. of course i have to check worldbuilder first to make sure its not tricking me, but it almost never does. beautiful big map wit unfair resource distribution which i like a lot better. everyone having corn wheat and rice is unrealistic and boring. makes colonizing all the more important.

3. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

I'm digging PerfectWorld also, right now, but I have to check WB at start to make sure I'm not stuck in one of those huge mid-continental deserts.

4. pesgores

pesgores Deus Vult!

Where can I get that maptype? I searched through all PublicMaps folders (I have Warlords and BTS) and couldn't find it! Where is it? I wanna play it!:(

5. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

tectonics, low sea, 60% landmass, arid

6. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

it comes with patch 3.17 and 3.19 iirc

7. pesgores

pesgores Deus Vult!

8. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

what is perfect world? I never tried that one.

My favorite is Archipelago with a seafaring civ nd GLH rexing.

9. Ricci

Ricci Prince

Used to go with shuffle but now I upgraded to randomScriptMap, it allows you to choose from a variety of known scripts for a random selection; including fractal, archipelago, pangea, continents, B&S, M&S, terra and some others. When you start the game you cannot see what script you are playing in, not at all, you can try to guess through exploration and previous experience only, as long as the game advances. It is very easy to assume one mapscript and be wrong. You can even select the starting location: no condition option in the customization room which makes the starting locations to not respect mapScripts defaults; imagine you think you are playing an archipelago to find later a huge continent to the west (B&S).

10. Badtz Maru

Badtz Maru King

I think it's rounded continents with a balanced mix of terrain and resources. Good for multiplayer to make sure one player doesn't get too much of an advantage from the map generator. I've never tried it because I play single-player only and it sounds too boring.

11. davelisowski

davelisowski Spartan

Random is always interesting.

I enjoy games with continents, but I've recently been wanting games with more concentration on naval warfare.
    Snaky continents is good for that. Or Fractal.

I don't like Rectangular (or whatever it's called). Torodial is much more interesting.

I can't stand maps with hard edges. And I agree with the other folks about learning the 'random' maps. There are certain advantages you can get (and should) because the AI script is limiting.

I don't think I've ever played with balanced resources. I could try that, but that seems like trading or warring for resources would be gone from the game.

12. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

Great Plains is for when I want a bizarre game.

Terra for usual games.

Continents for Space Race because it usually has very nice resources.

On a Great Plains map, I once got 3 Pig, 2 Irrigated Corn, 1 regular Corn, and 3 cow. I later found out there was both copper and horse. I won that game.

13. TheEnforcer

TheEnforcer Chieftain

I always play on a huge map on epic speed. I generally switch between Lakes, Inland Sea, Continents, Hemispheres and Big & Small. There are a ton of different map types I have never tried. If I had my way I would have an even larger size map.

Is there a way to do that without a mod??

14. Dragonxander PR

Dragonxander PR Emperor of the Drakons

There are downloadable map scripts that allow setting even bigger maps, as well as map creating applications that allow custom map sizes. For instance, I use Atlas Map Generator v. 0.43 (by Junnux, you can find it here)to create custom sized maps for simple scenarios. I create the map, save it, open the WB file in WB, modify it as I want, & then play.

15. whitenoise

whitenoise Chieftain

Usual settings (standard size, temperate etc) but on Fractal and Epic speed. I don't really play any other map type as I find the randomness of Fractal makes the game interesting!