1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite starting policy

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by saamohod, Oct 17, 2019.

?

Yor favorite starting policy

1. Tradition

2. Progress

3. Authority

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. saamohod

saamohod Prince

I do realize that the choice of the starting policy is dependent upon the current starting situation and immediate goals, but still there must be a policy that one feels gravitated towards or likes for its flavor.

Mine is progress. What's yours?

2. Earf

Earf Chieftain

Is this a serious question? The only way to win this game is by marching your armies across the map and conquering everything :trouble:. Authority is the only option!

Yaviel, bigcat88 and mikes61293 like this.
  3. saamohod

saamohod Prince

It all goes well until your swordsmens' asses start getting nuked by some quiet sciency nerd :nono:

4. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

I fight only when absolutely necessary.

tommytoxen and saamohod like this.
  5. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

It depends on maps and neighbours. On King and up my successful playthrough were only with Autorithy as opener.

6. saamohod

saamohod Prince

Exactly. Smart hominids fight with culture and science... unless absolutely necessary :lol:

7. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I would say that Authority is the "strongest" tree....but only in the sense that warfare is the strongest human advantage. We are just way better at it than the AI (not that the AI hasn't come a long way). But strength is the not the same as favorite, to me that's more of "which tree do I enjoy the most".

For me its tradition, just because I love having the god city of doom!

vyyt and saamohod like this.
  8. saamohod

saamohod Prince

It seems the only feasible way to win the game on highest difficulties is by adopting Authority. Does it indicate that Authority needs to be slightly nerfed in order to remove its "no-brainer" status and to put it on equal footing with Tradition and Progress? I personally never play highest difficulties, and the necessity to adopt Authority and militaristic playstyle are main reasons.

9. 065tdsa

065tdsa Chieftain

That's not because authority is OP though. It's because the AI is tremendously more competent in peaceful play than they're at warmongering or defending themselves against warmongerers, and because most of their bonuses translate more directly to peaceful play.

Authority is balanced by the fact that it gives bigger rewards, but requires bigger investment and effort to get those rewards.

10. saamohod

saamohod Prince

I get it. You described the essence of the problem.
    But what would be the solution to advertise Progress and Tradition for high difficulty players and make them viable? Other than nerfing Authority slightly.
    Just my random thoughts.
    Again, I never play anything higher than king. I hate being forced to adopt Authority and play aggressively in order to have a chance to win.

11. Yaviel

Yaviel Chieftain

And I'm here having trouble with King difficulty... (standard speed)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  12. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I promise you Tradition and Progress are viable at King and higher difficulties. That said, this thread is not really to discuss balance, so I'll apologize for opening that door a bit with my post.

13. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

I used to love Tradition, but now I'm leading more and more towards tall Progress. I just like to build everything in sight and Tradition secondary cities need careful management. And Progress still allows me to expand if I have to.

14. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

For years I would have said tradition, but I've really enjoyed playing progress lately. Authority is okay, but I don't really enjoy fighting the whole game.

vyyt likes this.
  15. Laz0r

Laz0r Chieftain

Lately Tradition has been my favourite instead of the many 10+ city games of days past. Using tourism boosted trade routes and good city infrastructure to build a gigantic Capital is so fun, along with learning how to place cities and use troops for combat in limited supply. I find wide games tend to be "focus production/gold and snowball", and it's somewhat stale.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  16. joemodda

joemodda Chieftain

Progress, followed by Authority if I feel like giving myself a cheesy start with raging barbarians on

With Tradition, I feel like it starts out strong, but I always top off around midgame, and I start to fall behind massively to other AI's that aggressively expanded. Not sure if I'm suppose to still go wide with Tradition, or keep 3-5 core cities

17. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

3-5 core cities is the more common strategy.

If you find it weak, try to make sure you never stop producing great people. Having a lot of academies, great works, and manufactories is important to having a strong late game.

18. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian King

Progress is by far my favourite/default starting policy, unless I'm playing a warmonger or a civ like Arabia.

19. tommytoxen

tommytoxen Warlord

authority, simply because if i dont i get my ass kicked in early wars

20. Earf

Earf Chieftain

Progress > Authority. It gets you better culture, growth, and a decent amount of happiness and hammers. You could go warring with Progress too. It usually leads to a much better position than going Authority. But going Authority is so much more fun. Plus, it gets you Alhambra with that OP, unique promotion on mounted units.