1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favorite Stephen King Film?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JJP, Jun 20, 2003.

?

Your favorite Stephen King film?

1. Carrie (1976)

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. The Shining (1980)

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Creepshow (1982)

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Cujo (1983)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Dead Zone (1983)

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. Christine (1983)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Children of the Corn (1984)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. Firestarter (1984)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Silver Bullet (1985)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Maximum Overdrive (1986)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Stand by Me (1986)

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  12. The Running Man (1987)

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  13. Pet Sematary (1989)

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  14. Misery (1990)

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  15. Sleepwalkers (1992)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. The Dark Half (1993)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Dolores Claiborne (1995)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Apt Pupil (1998)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  19. The Green Mile (1999)

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  20. Other (please specify below)

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JJP

JJP Great Player

What is your favorite Stephen King film or films? There are many films to choose from.

My favorites are Carrie, The Shining and Misery. :)

2. FredLC

FredLC A Lawyer as You Can See! Retired Moderator

I can't vote in polls (server problem), But I guess that my answer will have to be "other", as I consider "The Shawshank Redemption" the best translation of his works to the screen.

The others that deserves mention are, IMHO, "The Green Mile", "Apt Pupil" and "Stand by me". Curiously enough, none of them can be categorized as what is his speciality, that is, strict horror movies.

When it comes to those, I guess my list would be "The Shining", "Pet Sematary" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

Regards :).

3. SirJethro

SirJethro Paterfamilias

You left out the best one: The Shawshank Redemption.

4. ApocalypseKurtz

ApocalypseKurtz Man, myth, legend

"The Dead Zone" is my favorite. Criminally underrated.

"The Shining" and "Carrie" are excellent, as well.

For non-horror, "The Green Mile" "Stand By Me" and "Shawshank"

Also, "The Stand" and "Storm of The Century" are pretty interesting.

5. FredLC

FredLC A Lawyer as You Can See! Retired Moderator

Yeah, I forgot those two. Very good ones.

6. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

The Shawshank Redemption is the best of his movies., so I voted "other".

7. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

@FredLC: Ray Bradbury wrote 'Something wicked this way comes', I think.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with your list, except for Pet Sematary, which I despised. I'd replace that with 'Misery', which was good cheesy fun.

Renata

8. joycem10

joycem10 Deity

is it just me or does the dialogue in King's books often come across as stilted or contrived in movies which relate directly to the books.

For instance, compare the Kubrick version of The Shining to the late nineties made for TV version. Kurbrick takes the premise and works within its perameters while the other basically recites the book with a few cuts and pastes. The pacing and the dialogue in the TV version seems totally unrealistic and contrived. The Kubrick version, despite being dated, remains a masterpiece of horror movies.

THe same can be seen in The Stand, It, The Tommynockers, & The Dark Half. Maybe alot of that can be directed to the fact that the majority of the movies I cite are made for TV, but I think in general its true.

King's characters are best when read, and his dialogue just does not translate to movies/TV.

All that said, Misery and Stand By me are two of my favorites, while THe Shining is my overall favorite King movie.

"Words of Wisdom Lloyd, Words of Wisdom. You always were the dest dam bartenderfrom Timbuktu to Portland Maine, Portland Oregon for that matter."

9. De Lorimier

De Lorimier North American Scum

The Shining and Stand by me. These are two of my favorites all-time movies. A book is always better than a movie but in thoses cases I really really enjoyed the films.

10. Bifrost

Bifrost Emperor

AAAAAAhhh! at least I found someone who liked "Storm of the century"

it's not pretty interesting - IT's PERFECT!

Edited

11. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

the only king-movie that I like is the Stand. I love his books, but most of the movies suck. (Although I haven't yet seen the Shawshank Redemption yet)

12. thestonesfan

thestonesfan A Client of Ron Kuby

I don't think "Abyss" was King. If you're talking about Cameron's sci-fi sub film.

Actually, I think the non-horror adaptations are much, much better than the horror ones. I admit there are a lot I haven't seen...but my favorites are "Stand By Me", "Shawshank Redemption", and "The Green Mile".

13. Bifrost

Bifrost Emperor

Ah.. Sorry. :mischief:

14. Raijer

Raijer The 736th Beatle Supporter

Yeah, Hollywood has botched most of King's best work, although I thought Stand By Me was a very good film.

15. WildFire

WildFire amour

I liked the book "The Dead Zone"

Carrie was ok, and Cujo was good.

16. Jimjam Jones

Jimjam Jones Generalissimo

Why haven't more people voted for the Shining? Both the book and the film were incredible. Anyway that's probably my favourite 'Stephen King' movie (although you can hardly call it that as it was a different version of the story), but the Shawshank Redemption was fantastic, on of the best films of the Nineties for sure.

17. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

Where is Shawshank Redemption?

Are you mad?!:eek: :eek: :eek:

18. napoleon526

napoleon526 Emperor

Dreamcatcher was a Steven King book too, right? Although I heard the movie really sucked.

19. Simon Darkshade

Simon Darkshade Mysterious City of Gold

Stand By Me, closely over Apt Pupil, Shawshank and one not mentioned so far Needful Things. Which is a very good film, with Max Von Sydow delightfully wicked as the Devil, making him the only actor to play God, the Devil and an exorcist. :ack:

Stand By Me, Apt Pupil and Shawshank Redemption all come from the same collection of four novellas, which is a pretty good strike rate.
    The latter two are decent enough films, but do not reach the level of the books.
    Apt Pupil has a cop out of an ending, and misses the point of the "summer of corruption" to a large extent.
    Shawshank Redemption is very good, but in having a 'happy ending', it loses the bittersweet hope of the novella, which leaves things slightly open. It also adds the Hollywood justice over the Warden, rather than the version in the book, and it also lessens the time spent in prison.
    (The fourth in the collection is a rather strange piece called 'The Breathing Method', and it pales in comparison to the other three)

Another good part of the collection is the slight interplay between them. Andy Dufresne is mentioned in Apt Pupil, and alluded to in The Body, und so weiter.

Which brings me to 'The Body'. A terrific short story/novella, and one which was captured brilliantly on the screen in a unique manner. Both versions never fail to amuse and move. It is outside of his pin-holed 'horror genre', but it touches upon something universal, unspoken and special. It evokes memories of times past, and themes that resonate powerfully. It is his best work, IMO.

20. thestonesfan

thestonesfan A Client of Ron Kuby

Yeah, Shawshank has a happy ending...but it's such a happy ending! If I could have one happy ending in all movies, it would be that one. It's not often I'm caught smiling like an idiot as a movie ends.