1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite thing about civ 3

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by chickenx4, Apr 22, 2017.

1. chickenx4

chickenx4 Prince

post any of your favorite things in civ 3 here's mine below

When the defeat screen shows the leaderhead beat up
    When the military guy hat comes off
    The science adviser(he looks like Sid Meier)

Vuldacon and Civinator like this.
  2. justanick

justanick Emperor

3. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Recently, I've enjoyed it when I've successfully stolen a technology.

I also enjoy selling technology for lots of gold/gpt.

2-fers and more generally n-fers also.

4. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

While I have had limited experience adding units and buildings, I do like the way it is quite easy to modify the game in the editor, and specifically bought a Windows box and acquired a Windows laptop to do that.

I especially like playing around with the map editor, creating different worlds.

agonistes likes this.
  5. Scratcher

Scratcher Emperor

My favoutite thing about Civ III is that after 16 years I'm still playing it regularly.

Scratcher

Jivilov, CELTICEMPIRE, darski and 2 others like this.
  6. catalin72

catalin72 Prince

My favorite too,after 8 years with Civ IV BTS,to like now....Civ III:)),not V or VI...,for MGL,advisors and more.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

"Schlaf ist was für Schwächlinge" ... :lmao:
    I've never seen that one before... Do you know what triggers it? Is it only in the German version or also in the English original?!

Another advice that I really like a lot is by the F4-advisor: "You need to find more friends!" :D

My favorite thing is to win a game completely peacefully (though now that I mention it, I realize that I haven't done that in quite a while... :blush: The only games I have time for these days are the GOTMs, and here you definitely need a lot of warfare to get a good score... :()

8. justanick

justanick Emperor

I doubt the language matters. The text is in line 3408 in \Civilization III\Conquests\Text\Script.txt. What matters for #TIMESLEEP is whether it is time to sleep.

https://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?43057-Bild-der-Woche-14-07

9. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Chieftain

I loved that you're encouraged to mix different types of units together: in the Ancient era, Archers/Spearmen/Catapults; in the early Middle Ages, Longbowmen/Musketmen/Trebuchets (Civ 4 was also really fun, but the rock-paper-scissors of "Macemen start out with bonuses against other melee units" "an experienced mounted unit can earn a bonus against gunpowder units" felt too messy to accomplish the same thing)

I loved the music: I've spent hours of homework time listening to the Ancient Era theme (I can't remember any music that I loved from Civ 4)

... How could I forget about Baba Yetu? :( Baba Yetu was beautiful.​

I loved the sharp yet minimalist visual aesthetic (Civ 4 visuals were more detailed and more fun to look at stills of, but not as much fun to watch actual games of)

I loved that the different decisions from one game to the next make each game feel different (every time I played Civ 4, it felt like I was trying to do the same thing even when I tried doing it as a different nation)

I loved that all of the information is easy to keep track of (Tech Tree, anyone?)

I loved how quickly you could change to a government that let you pay to finish projects in one turn (in Civ 4, you either had to get the Pyramids first or wait until really late in the game)

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Spoonwood likes this.
  10. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Anything that indulges my modding addiction.
    Three of my Risk games were my own design. The latest edition of the world map has traversable sea territories, aircraft carriers and much more.

Civ 3 has some infuriating shortfalls but all-in-all is an excellent platform for customisation.

darski, Spoonwood and Simpson17866 like this.
  11. Buttercup

Buttercup King

Building wonders.
    Having the beakers break the allotted space on the UI and potentially even go off-screen.
    Settling on an island without any AI civs and then planning how best to place my cities.
    and some other stuff.

Spoonwood likes this.
  12. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

I would agree with all three, especially the last one, as in one of the games I am playing, that turned out to be the case, and the island is the size of a continent. A huge amount of room to work with.

13. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

1. Ease and speed of modding
    2. AI behavior. I feel alone in this, but I really like 3's expansion and war behavior the best.
    3. Planting forest on cattle!

darski likes this.
  14. ThinkTank

ThinkTank RL Addict

This.

And that after those 16 years there's still things to learn. Yeah I know I'm a bit slow.
    So is that a joke, planting forest on cattle? Enlighten me!

15. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

No, sadly, not a joke. Some of us pick up eccentricities over time. A few of us enjoy not chopping wood or similar things... and an even smaller pool enjoy planting forests on cattle.

Its not some secret move to maximize gains. Its more of a fine wine. Try it out sometime... but you might get hooked.

16. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Hmm, now that planting forest on Cattle is something that I have not tried. I have planted forest on Tundra where this is Game present and that works well. I will need to try the Forest on Cattle next game, like in a few minutes from now. Thanks for the idea. That probably would work with Ivory as well.

17. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Chieftain

... I did not know that Forest on Cattle was a thing until today :)

18. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Here's an example from one of my 20k games that I feel most proud of:

upload_2017-5-16_17-42-32.png

agonistes, Simpson17866 and Lanzelot like this.
  19. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

As I just wrote in another thread, I sometimes plant forest on normal grassland tiles, if a city has maxed out at size 12 and has surplus food beyond the necessary 24. Bonus grassland keeps the mine (2f/2s), but normal grassland can be turned from 2f/1s to 1f/2s by replacing the mine with a forest.

And I can see that replacing the mine (or irrigation) grassland cattle would turn a 4f/2s (or 5f/1s) tile into a 3f/3s tile. Quite rational, if you no longer have any use for the extra food. (In fact, I think I just did that a few weeks ago in the Gandhi game. Or to be more precise: it was a forest on wheat: see the 1170AD screenshot of Chittagong, which needed some additional shields to speed up the Military Academy.)

Edit: crosspost with Spoonwood. So looks like planting forest for extra shields is a "standard procedure"... :D

Spoonwood likes this.
  20. Theov

Theov Deity

Nothing in this game thrills me more than to set sail for the first time and find new land and plan the ensuing invasion.
    ... and nothing shocks me more when they find me before I find them.

darski and vorlon_mi like this.