1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favorite Trait Combo

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Sodfather, Jun 10, 2003.

1. ivory

ivory What 's the big picture?

Reli (cheap culture+happiness, and no anarchy) + Sci (cheap research) = Babylon

2. Sodfather

Sodfather Ancient Hitman

It may be worth more, but by the Industrial Age you have an abundance of cities which translates into more gold. So, my point is that Nationalism may take the same amount of time to research as a tech in the Ancient Age. 100 gold in the Industrial Age is completely different from 100 gold in the beginning of the game. It's like inflation.

3. Penguin Glory

Penguin Glory Aquatic Pigeon

I personally like industrial and religious, it is the best combo IMO. It makes for faster production and less anarchy.:)

4. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

I have found Scientific to be easily the strongest and most useful trait. The free access to Nationalism is solid gold (and often means the difference between being a middle power and emerging as world leader). The faster libraries and universities are also very strong-- faster culture and faster research are almost too much to add!
    Combine this with religious, militaristic or industrious and you can drastically increase your production of culture, Wonders or even military.

5. Sodfather

Sodfather Ancient Hitman

Yeah it is too much to add because I don't recall getting faster culture with the Scientific trait.

6. Checkmate13

Checkmate13 Chieftain

I used to like scientific-religious combo, that leads to really cheap culture - but after playing the last couple GOTMs I find Im comfortable with all of them.

Commercial seems to be always undervalued but the last 2 diety random map games I have played - france have been uber powerful.

Industrious seems to give a boost at the start - less later on when your workers are just cleaning up pollution. But the commercial trait IMO rakes in heaps of extra cash. In the deity games I was talking about France was the only civ with any money (which was about 20K). A powerful economy can mean more techs, more luxs and more military. Just look at the US.

7. Beanzy

Beanzy Chieftain

I completely agree. Commercial is always underrated, and Industrious is very good throughout the whole game! Don't forget that you get extra shields not to mention the faster workers. They are a perfect combo because they give you a large and productive empire, low in corruption and high in production. Hence my love for Carthage!

8. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

Yeah it is too much to add because I don't recall getting faster culture with the Scientific trait.

I just meant that faster libraries and universities give a considerable advantage to developing culture.

9. jack merchant

jack merchant Internationalist

Scientific/Industrious. I play on the highest levels, and the free tech often turns out to be invaluable in catching up to the AIs - the free Medieval tech ususally is traded for republic, and the industrial one for steam or, if you get there first, truckloads of gold to fund a deficit research push towards SciMeth and Hoover.
    Industrious is obvious, of course, but it can be a crutch.

With the UU's the Sci/Ind civs have, you have a great chance of winning with them even on deity.

10. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I normally play as Persia.... Their early UU is awesome and the sci/ind traits are the best, but back on topic..

I like: Indust, Scientific, Commercial

I don't mind: Religious (though I think it's kind of useless)

I hate: Expionists

11. cavemanf16

cavemanf16 Grand Poobah

I like Rel. + either Ind. or Sci. I'll settle for Ind. + Sci. but I've found that having the Rel. bonus of one turn Anarchy to be HIGHLY useful, especially later in the game when I'm flipping back and forth between Communism and Democracy as I wipe out Civ after civ. :ar15:

12. Belisar

Belisar Defender of Byzanz

Like most Civ-concerning topics: It depends.
    If you play a (mostly) peaceful builder game, scientific, commercial may be more helpful than militaristic. Industrious is always good, expansionist only on pangeas, less on continents and a waste on archipelagos.
    Religious is good for oscillating peace/war periods but less useful for 'builder-type' games or AW.
    It all depends...:)

13. Norlamand

Norlamand Procrastinator Rex

Industrious and religious would be my favorite but I don't like the early GA with egypt.
    Industrious and scientific would be a close second. I 've played the Ottomans and very much enjoyed it. It also helps that the Sipahi kick @$$!
    For MP game I like expansionist (and industrious) or a civ that gets a fast mover quick to explore and grab the good land. I tend to play Celts (relig and militaristic) for MP because their UU comes early, attacks well and moves fast. Their trait combo isn't one that I like though.