1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite UI? Mine: Brazilwwodcamps

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Sabrina, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Sabrina

Sabrina Warlord

*sorry, apparently I can not fix the typo in the title*

Those things are awesome! With the right Pantheon you can start them with producing 2 gold, 2 food, 2 science and 3 culture. They literally saved my last game, when due to WC embargos, I wasn't able to trade with ANYONE (CS or Civs, both passed) during a huge part of the game. By the time I got the WC leadership, it was already endgame (got diplomatic victory), but those camps put me ahead in science and culture the entire game. Of couse I used my trade routes internally to grow the population, and ended up with a capital size 50 or so and a few VERY big cities.

2. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

The problem with brazilwood camps, though, is that you have to keep some of that abysmal jungle early on to make use of these later on.

3. Sabrina

Sabrina Warlord

That was really easy, I didn't need to rush building workers, just enough for farming, mining and "roading". My production was bad until my cities grew enough, but I used internal trade routes to improve production in my main cities. The size of the cities sort of compensated for the lack of production tiles.

4. newarkinvaders

newarkinvaders Chieftain

Terrace Farms - That one time that you get a hill with 5 Mountains around it is always amusing to see those numbers . It also can lead with just a few mountains to a silly amount of growth.
    The one time I played as brazil i was underwhelmed by the wood camps .

5. Snownova

Snownova Warlord

Polders. Oh god, having a Dutch start in the desert with lots of flood plains means you're going to have an amazing city (especially if you manage to snag Petra as well).

6. newarkinvaders

newarkinvaders Chieftain

And the kasbah , silly city with petra and desert folklore .

I think in all honesty Brazilwood camp is my least favorite UI

7. Sabrina

Sabrina Warlord

I need to try some of those, wasn't very impressed by the Polders though.

8. wcbarney

wcbarney Know-it-all

This!:) Also you can sometimes get the Desert Folklore pantheon as well. I've had a couple of games where my desert cities were so OP that I was embarrassed.:p

9. Chiatroll

Chiatroll Warlord

Jungle isn't that bad. Especially since if you have one city that can produce cargoships/caravans then you have a way to produce without them.

The explosions you will have on those tiles after Brazil wood is worth it.

While I like Brazil more because of how much everything works together I'm going to go with the Chateau for my favorite.

3 gold 3 culture and a 50% defense fort like bonus and the restriction is weird depending on where the lux is based rules so you can normally get about 2-3 of them per city. If you put your city on a lux resource when you can have 3 Chateau forts on that city giving you the gold/culture as well as giving you three defend-able spots surround a city creating zones of control making an invasion of the french almost impossible.

10. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Even though I don't have the DLC, Terrace Farms would be something I'd build a lot if I had it. Aside from the food and production combo it implies, you won't be hunting around for the tiles to build it on.

11. digrosz

digrosz Dirty Frank

Polders! Just because that little windmill looks soooooo nice. And they can turn an useless marsh tile into a golden one; and a already good flood plains tile into something Zeus would be jealous of.

Also, OP should add a poll to this.

12. evilcat

evilcat Warlord

Even without Brazilwood camps it is worth to keep no river jungle, since university + tradepost work just fine.

13. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

I've made much more use of the Terrace Farm than anything else.

In my Dutch game, I had a grand total of zero Marsh & flood plains tile and so wasn't able to use the UI at all. (I did make great use of their UA)

The Polynesian UI while able to be built on any coastline is much more suitable for a (old) cultural victory than anything else.

I haven't yet gotten to the BNW civs with UIs; I'm instead on the really unique UAs.

14. rattlejaw

rattlejaw Chieftain

Terrace farms are awesome. They're a good UI even if you have no mountains boosting their yield, and become phenomenal if you do. Best of all, they're barely situational at all. Hills are all over the place, and you can choose between farming or mining them based on what you need. Very powerful.

I also like Kasbahs on desert hills, especially if you can toss Desert Folklore in there. Nice yield plus a fort. Can't complain. Unfortunately, they're not good enough to make flat desert something I'd be excited to work, unless of course you've got Petra going on (which pretty much isn't going to happen on higher difficulties without the Liberty GE).

Can they be built on flood plains? That might be nice for a little extra production. My one Morocco game gave me the worst possible desert locations (one flood plain total), so I didn't really have an opportunity to check.

15. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Like the Brazilwood Camp just fine, but in an age of Feitorias I think I know what I'm picking.

16. Sabrina

Sabrina Warlord

The feitorias are great too, my first BNW game was as Portugal and happiness was never a problem. The only problem was managing which city states were granting me each kind of luxuries, so I could trade my own last copy of them and still have the copy from the feitorias, since those are not tradeable.

17. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

I'm going to have to go with Polders. I don't have BNW, so I can't really judge brazilwood camps or feitorias. But in terms of G&K, I don't see much use for Moais and I haven't been Incan yet. So by process of elimination, I'd say polders are best.

18. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

Feitorias are amazing. Happiness problems are out the window!

19. newarkinvaders

newarkinvaders Chieftain

Not overly convinced with this as I found in the game i played as port that I was driven to go for a money based buy all the city states game anyway . When allied it becomes pointless

20. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Prince

Polders and Kasbah on desert hills