• The Dark Fantasy Universe

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • The Lifetime (all civs are unique)

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • The Gameplay

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • To assist and take part to its evolution

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • The new features (magic, heroes, etc...)

Votes: 30 22.9%
  • I prefer Civ IV Bts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer pies...

Votes: 13 9.9%

• Total voters

Stoik

Chieftain
So what do you prefer in FfH2? I know the choice isn't easy, the 5 first are excellent reasons to love that mod. But life is choices...
Personally, my flavour goes to the Dark Fantasy Universe, which is a discovery for me (excepted LoTR...). I love the atmosphere, the lore of Erebus... I love Fall from Heaven2, even if pie is the king of fruits...:)

I think the "Dark Fantasy Universe" and "The New features(heroes, magic etc) is really one option.
And I still like my pies without fruits, even in this thread :lol:

For me it was really interesting to see how the mod evolved in time, gameplaywise, lorewise, you-name-it-wise.

The universe, easily. You'll notice I spend more time in the Lore forum then the main one. The FfH universe is about as well developed as many famous IPs (i.e. Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings...) and manages to be believably dark without going overboard and into Grimdark territory (where the level of darkness wraps around into satirically overblown).

I had to pick pies. I just can't make a qualified judgement. It's a whole package of awesome stacked on awesome, with layers of win in the middle. I love the universe, I love how the roleplaying is there for entire civilizations without being too constricting, I love the setting, I love the added features, I love the mechanics.

Of course, it's not a commercial-grade project, it's a mod and there are small annoyances, but overall, this is by far and wide the best mod, all categories, that I've ever, ever played (and I'm extremely, extremely picky about my mods). I wish I could send Kael my money, because this is greater than most expansions for most games.

Take out any one part - the features, the universe, the flavour, the diversity, or the high standards (models are rarely, if ever, re-used for multiple units- just as an example), and it could just as equally fall flat.

I refuse to single out any one part of Fall from Heaven 2. It'd be like "What's your favourite part of your car? The tires, the steering wheel, the engine or the brakes?". :)
It's just a too great of a mod that ends up so much greater than the sum of all it's parts. :)

The universe, easily. You'll notice I spend more time in the Lore forum then the main one. The FfH universe is about as well developed as many famous IPs (i.e. Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings...) and manages to be believably dark without going overboard and into Grimdark territory (where the level of darkness wraps around into satirically overblown).
It's not Grimdark until you've got Inquisition, genocide and rape on a daily basis.
... In a cellar. Without lights. Underwater. On acid.

I think the "Dark Fantasy Universe" and "The New features(heroes, magic etc) is really one option.

Well, it can be equivocal indeed, by new features i meant the new mechanics added by the team that totally change the way to play. The strategic features. I hope to be clear, my english is not perfect... :rolleyes:

I like the setting, the "universe" as the poll calls it.

Somehow doing pretty close to the same old Civ 4X gameplay, FFH2 reinvigorates the whole strategy experience.

Regular historical civs have a lot of baggage for me: their real life bloody history, their actual record of brilliance and ignorance, their high ideals and their grim realities, all of this many times weighs me down - I don't enjoy wiping a historical people off the face of the earth. (Yeah, I need to lighten up 'cause they'll be back next game!)

The killer is they seem dull: been there, destroyed them, traveled there (hot/cold climate, hot/cold people) - the real experience spoils any fantasy.

But FFH2 is a fantasy novel come to life! It creates epic stories of desperate war between good and evil; it illustrates not just the role of two or three heroes but the life of a nation. Every game I let the narrative unfold naturally; I'm not just some Civ IV BtS player with a certain tech strategy attacking friends and enemies alike as seems profitable, there's a story behind all my actions.

I don't choose a FFH2 civ based on which has the most powerful units or best magic or strongest overall chances (as judged by others): I play 'em cause they fit my mood, fit the story I want to experience at the time.

If we had a hobbit civilization, one that was characteristically weak, I'd play that more with the intention of seeing what sort of story I could imagine as the hobbits sought powerful allies, hid from enemies, or most likely got whomped by every passing evil civ and, for that matter, many neutral civs. And since no hobbits ever existed (save maybe those Indonesian ones), I wouldn't feel bad at their passing from the scene.

I had to pick pies.
I refuse to single out any one part of Fall from Heaven 2. It'd be like "What's your favourite part of your car? The tires, the steering wheel, the engine or the brakes?". :)
It's just a too great of a mod that ends up so much greater than the sum of all it's parts. :)

;) It's a good answer but you answer to the question: what can be removed from the mod, and what do you keep? The real one is: what part of FfH2 make the greatest difference to you?

;) It's a good answer but you answer to the question: what can be removed from the mod, and what do you keep? The real one is: what part of FfH2 make the greatest difference to you?
I know, I know! :( It's just that it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to say! What makes the greatest difference in a functional car to you, the engine or the steering wheel? :D

I know, I know! :( It's just that it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to say! What makes the greatest difference in a functional car to you, the engine or the steering wheel? :D

I'm not gonna lie, I've never really looked at a car and gone "The engine is nice, but MAN look at that steering wheel"

This needed to be a multiple choice poll so I could pick lifetime, gameplay, and new features. Possibly BtS too.

Went with lifetime.

They started to insult Kael? =O

Anyways, I'd say everything, but seeing as thats not an option, I'd go with universe. Seeing as everything about it has more or less already been said, I'm just going to say that it's pretty deep.

damn... let the dead sleep

There's not an option for "the modteam's willingness to explain things to modders like me (and that falls in the purview of the FF team too) so I can tweak everything I don't like."

Really, the fact that the few things I disagree with are easily modded away into MY perfect experience, says so much.

Top Bottom