Your favourite Civ for huge maps?

DocRock

Prince
Hey guys,

I am doing a few achievements at the moment and I wonder: what is your favourite Civ for a huge map? Usually I only play standard maps, so I am bit unexperienced. Difficulty will be Emperor. I will go for Continents or Pangea as I do not like Archipelago.

So I guess a wide played Civ that benefits from all the free space is better than the usual 4-city-tradition Civs (Korea etc)?

Cheers,
DR

...I've never actually played on huge. I'd imagine the Inca and Shoshone are good, being able to faster traverse that land, and the pathfinder being able to pop more ruins, hopefully.

Never played huge map but isn't it the same thing as standard but just with more AI? For example if standard map was 8 civs and 80 hexes(10 hexes/civ) wouldn't huge just be 12 civs and 120 hexes(10 hexes/civ)?

Ah you might be right, I didn't know that. Still, I think I will go for a wide Civ like India, Maya or China. Ok thanks, then my question is answered. :)

I dont find huge maps have much impact on CIV usefulness.

its easier to found a larger empire with more cities. But its also easier to be small and defensive and eek out a peaceful win. fewer contested borders. I like Egypt as more temples scales up really well.

Is the range of trade routes different on huge (I dont think so). So venice may not be ideal :) Caravanassery and harbors could become more important. Carthage maybe?

DOM victories get harder (slower) because your units are still just as slow as they are on standard maps. So I would think CIVs with a lean towards peaceful victories are a smarter choice WRT winning early. If you scale up the game duration, then this may no longer be the case. But spending 10+ turns moving a 10+ unit army across empty territory to DOW your next target sucks.

Poland is always the best CIV. good for everything. Bad at nothing.

I have very limited experience with huge maps because my computer is marginal, but even though there are more civs, going wider should be more feasible because the initial ratio of hexes per civ is increased. The relative merits of Liberty vs Tradition is often discussed, but that debate applicable to most civs. Huge maps decrease the per-city penalties, but is that enough to favor 6-8 city Liberty over four city Tradition?

The range of trade routes do not scale with map size. Worse than that, more civs does not mean more routes. So, huge maps means a relative handicap to civs with a trade-oriented UA. What UA get a buff from huge maps? Maybe scouting?

I am with JeSuisNapoleon in that there is just not much impact. What am I missing by not trying large games? (I can how smaller maps mix things up quite a bit, but once you get to standard size, bigger just seems like more of the same dynamics. Why bother?)

As I sad I am filling up my steam achievements and "huge" is still open. That's why I will give it a try. I have to say after several 100 hours of play I try to make up new things to do in Civ and the achievements seem interesting enough. Won my first settler game on a duel map a few days ago. ;)

Your statement about the trade routes seems important. I have still not decided what Civ to play and narrowed it down to Arabia or China. Seems like The Arabian UA would be a bit wasted here.

Barb hunting is more effektive in huge maps wich gives Germany, Celts and Songhai some edge. Americas extra sight is also nice when the scouting goes on an on for a big part of the game.

Since there are more civs to conpete with for wonders Egypts UA also becomes slightly more relevant.

For war extra movement is nice when the distance is bigger. Mongolia and Arbia OP in this are as always.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

As I sad I am filling up my steam achievements and "huge" is still open. That's why I will give it a try. I have to say after several 100 hours of play I try to make up new things to do in Civ and the achievements seem interesting enough. Won my first settler game on a duel map a few days ago. ;)

I'd say the most important for a huge map is to make sure you have a good computer (and a lot of patience!). My poor laptop struggles through the end game even on standard. I tried a huge map once, and gave up before the renaissance. I ended up 'cheating' and using the shoshone 1 turn trick for my huge achievement.

If you're doing it for an achievement, pick a civ you haven't won with yet, so you can get their achievement as well ;)

I also googled it and found the answer on reddit. ;) Set max turn to 1 and start as the Shoshones. There's a good chance you have the highest score because of he 8 extra tiles in your first city. Seems a good way to get a lot of achievements you don't like to play the usual way. It should work even on Diety but you need some tries as far as the guy on reddit says.

I also googled it and found the answer on reddit. ;) Set max turn to 1 and start as the Shoshones. There's a good chance you have the highest score because of he 8 extra tiles in your first city. Seems a good way to get a lot of achievements you don't like to play the usual way. It should work even on Diety but you need some tries as far as the guy on reddit says.

Yeah. I've only used it for the huge map, but presumably it would be good for difficulty achievements as well.

I will definately use it for chieftain and warlord difficulty... Got better things to do than playing those. ;)

I think it really depends on the other factors, besides size, with the standard configuration you will get 12 civs, that's 4 more than you get in standard size, these mean, (in the best of the cases) that you will have more commercial partners, that's great for a civ like Arabia when you have those starts on huge with 5 o 6 copies (in some map types) of the same luxury resource and you have the monopoly of one or two of the world luxuries.

If you're playing on a map type with large landmass, such as Pangaea or Great Plains, the Shoshone would be able to scout the land very easy and find lots of ancient ruins, (these is a well known strategy to win a game at higher difficulties, configuring the game and creating a map witch serves more to your civ and harming the others, the same goes for Aztecs in lakes, Polynesia in little islands with a high ocean level, Celts on maps fully covered with forest, highlands with Incas, etc.)

If you try to do this strategy of the Shoshone with a slower game speed and less IA civs, you can scout all the land in a relatively early phase of the game (because the map is the same size and the units move the same, but the game phases demands more turns and time).

Let's see what happens if you mess around with other setting and not remain that ''standard''

If you play huge with much less than 12 civs, like, half of that, on large landmass maps this will encourage you to play wide, so, using civs with wide bonuses like Rome, the Shoshone (that I mentioned earlier), but especially India will feel like fish in a pond.

If you max the number city states in a standard or large landmass maps you can get great bonuses from being Mongolia (if you like to play the Khan's paper, otherwise, no :lol:) , Greece or Siam, without having the city sates occupying your vital space, and hindering the expansion process of your civ.

Top Bottom