1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favourite Civs to play against?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mark Jenkins, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Mark Jenkins

Mark Jenkins Chieftain

I find myself when I'm playing games of Civ4 and then Warlords, I have a few AI that I like to play with and ally with. No matter what race I'm playing, I always seem to get along with and really like allying with Egypt, Asoka, Catherine, Saladin.

The ones I HATE are Monty, Tokugawa, Isabella, and a litany of other very irritating civs which seem to live to hate you for not being their same religion.

Oh, and I usually play Augustus Caesar, Celts, or Carthage, on Noble.

Who do you enjoy playing and allying with in Civ4 and the expo?

2. Powerslave

Powerslave Chieftain

I always get along quite well with Hannibal, Mao, Cyrus and Brennus. They never backstab me, they're always up for a permanent alliance or defensive pact, and they can hold their own in a war. Also, they don't do enough research to challenge my supremecy. Gandhi and Mansa Musa do too much research, if left to their own devices. I always kill them. I've gotten good at using Catherine, Montezuma, Alexander, Tokugawa, and Caesar as my attack dogs. If any of them found a religion, I kill them, though. Saladin, if he doesn't found a religion, is often quite pleasant. I usually kill the Egyptians, Indians, and English, because they're so weak. Other civs I usually just ignore, unless they've founded a religion or threaten my supremecy.

Sometimes I play a more pacifist game, and count on my diplomatic abilities to keep me safe. In that case, I bribe the entire world to attack whomever looks the most likely to sneak attack me, one after another, until I'm left with a world full of allies.

3. Reprisal

Reprisal Chieftain

Honestly, I enjoy wiping out Montezuma whenever he's a neighbour. I really dislike him and curse when I discover his cities near mine and rejoice when the last one is conquered or razed.

I think my favourite AI leader to interact with is usually Huyana Capac, though I'm not sure why... exactly. If I'm not playing either of them, I tend to favour both Genghis Khan and Kublai Khan as well.

4. Dawgphood001

Dawgphood001 The Professional Poster

Montezuma, Isabella, Alexander.

I thoroughly enjoy flogging the three of them. Tis divine.

5. Amenmesse

Amenmesse Chieftain

I usually get on well with Mansa Musa, Frederick, Saladin, Cyrus and Catherine; I tend to run into problems with Shaka, Brennus and the Indians. I also get mixed up in spats between Isabella and Louis XIV, which can be quite amusing if you keep switching sides.

If I'm playing as Ramesses, I also tend to go after anyone who builds or starts building either Stonehenge or the Pyramids before I do...

6. flamingzaroc121

flamingzaroc121 Chieftain

i usually, play with a mix of leaders to get along with, the ones i hate (lke Toku and Nappy) and some puppy dogs like Monty to attack my enemies :smug:

7. Silver Marmot

Silver Marmot Chieftain

I hate Isabella and Montezuma. Isabella is going to hate me unless she shares my religion, and Montezuma is completely unreliable.

8. Mark Jenkins

Mark Jenkins Chieftain

Haha yeah.. you guys make some good points. Some leaders are just nuts or completely angry, like Isabella and Tokugawa... I think he and Shaka share my equal contempt.

And while I like playing and allying with both of India's leaders, they can be very insidious little pests... I find the only way I can beat them in the long run is if I take out someone quickly in around the Classical Age to help consolidate my power.. the relative size of my empire just outtechs them anyway.

Oh yeah, I also enjoy playing and allying with Huayna Capac and Cyrus too, as some people mentioned. Am I the only one that likes Hapshetsut?? :p

9. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Chieftain

I tend to be allies with Cyrus a lot, even if I wasn't aiming for it I seem to end up in a PA with him. I also tend to either be good friends or bad enemies with egypt. I really have no patience with isabella so I leave her out of my game unless I'm in the mood. I also hate Mali, they're obsessed with techs and blow my chances of getting the oracle or founding a classical religion. Basically any civ that's near me that I'm not partial to, I'm willing to kick their ass.

10. eoc

eoc Chieftain

the most I hate are Tokugawa,Isabella,shake and Mansa Musa. and hate Catherine being my neighbor.

especially, Tokugawa, whatever leader i picked, he would never open borders with me, sucks !

i usually pick America, China, English, Rome and Egypt

11. gettingfat

gettingfat Chieftain

Really depending on their locations. In general, I want to see builders being my neighbours, and the aggressors far away, so I have more options in the early game (I can choose to attack or build, instead of being forced to build army even my economy is not ready). Builders far away can be nightmare. At games higher than Monarch AIs like Mansa or Liz can easily out-tech you by half an era, making you very difficult to beat their high-tech armies, not to mention they are far away.

That's said, I think the game dev. have successfully created a few very annoying leaders. Mansa always makes those ridiculous "90 golds for democracy" offers and tons of greedy demands; Louis XIV almost has to backstab somebody in every game; Catherine is unpredictable (well, at least her animation looks great); Toku just blocks your way if unfortunately he's at the choke point. 95% I'll finish them off by mid-game regardless.

12. Rashkaar

Rashkaar Chieftain

Ghandi is definitely a favorite of mine. He'll tech like a madman, is completely reliable (I have only once, ever, seen him declare on someone) and will usually still trade with you even with a quadzillion negatives.

If you leave Ghandi with a few cities, he can become a very good vassal -- even on the next turn after the war, the old fool is usually back to trading for anything and everything he doesn't already have (just don't demand tribute from him too often or you'll rack up "You made an arrogant demand" points that eventually will piss him off enough.

13. Mr. Civtastic

Mr. Civtastic Chieftain

Couldnt have said it better myself. I much prefer a builder near me. I can rush him, fight a quick war, keep most of my troops, rebuild and fatten up. Then I have enough resources to be a factor in the game. If the builder is far away, it can be trouble. I recently played a game where musa and ghandi were neighbors but to get to them I would have to go through Korea or Persia, both who would have been bloody wars. I defeated Korea, but the war drained my civ. They were lightyears ahead of me at this point. So I change course and try to win a diplo. No luck...everyone liked them and no one would declare war on them.

And like Rashkaar said, an aggresive civ as a neighbor has you preparing for war and researching the appropiate techs before you are ready or wanting to. You have to get ready for the inevitable attack. This can crush your economy and research path. And if you dont have a trait that can help you fight, get ready for a bloody war unless you have a particular edge (uu, tech).

14. gettingfat

gettingfat Chieftain

The best thing of getting builder neighbours is: they build cities with tons of juicy cottages for you without adding any maintainence cost to your own budget. Just make sure to collect the ripe fruits before they toughen up.

15. cairnsy44

cairnsy44 Gooner - first class

I always groan when I meet Monty first. You just know he's going to come after you. Always best to take him out first. Isabella doesn't usually have a good army in place, so when I see her, if we are going to go different religious paths, then I know I have to eliminate her too. I get frustrated with the 2 French leaders. They are ALWAYS demanding/begging for free stuff from me. Of course, they never give me anything I ask for.....they are not good allies.

16. Mark Jenkins

Mark Jenkins Chieftain

Hmm, I actually find I prefer to have a builder far enough away from me that I can ally with and trade techs with, but who isnt in my warpath. I relish in having Tokugawa or some other idiot next to me because I look forward to destroying them utterly :) Mind you, this is me playing as most often Romans on Noble.

But still.. so fun :D

17. Junichiro

Junichiro Chieftain

Saladin is among favorites both to play as and play against...even when we hate each other he is still cordial.
    Cyrus, Asoka and Hatse are nice and usually no major threats (unlike nice but dangerous Gandhi and Mansa).

And as long as we are not neighbours, I get along superbly with Qin, Genghis and Catherine.

18. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

Shaka Zulu,
    because he is so easy to manipulate via diplomacy, and so warmonger, that it is easy to use him for softening a civilization you don't like.
    Since wotm3, he is my best friend in a game, but beware, he is like a rogue wave: surf it, or die.

19. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

These are my favourite civs to play against. Why ? Because I already know I will go to war with them the moment I meet them. With all the others it's a gamble....

20. Eggolas

Eggolas Chieftain

I hate most leaders, except Winnie of course. How can you not like that cigar chomper (as opposed to stabber?).

It's especially gratifying to squash Monty, Shaka, Tokugawa, Alexander, the Russians, the French and Hatty.