celts
ethiopians
huns
carthaginians
mayans
sweden
dutch

may change after i play them

The Byzantines stand out for me. I really loved religion in CiV, and while I don't typically go all out with a domination focus, I do like to conquer a few near by neighbors. I feel that the two UUs will greatly help with this second part, and the extra belief could make a big difference (especially using the "Holy Warriors" ability to purchase the improved units with faith).

The Celts might be next, with the extra flexibility that a really early founding religion provides. They can be warlike, cultural, science focused, etc, all quite easily. Plus I really like their color combination.

I'm a little ambivalent otherwise. The Huns interest me because they're so different. My favorite Civilization in vanilla is Arabia, so I'm tempted to see how the Dutch play as well. My exact order:

1) The Byzantines
2) The Celts
3) The Netherlands
4) The Huns
5) The Mayans
With the rest not really standing out all that much to me.

I liked the Celts in a previous edition so I will be looking forward to them. I also liked Byzantium in Civ III so I'll try them and probably the Dutch because I like trading. If Sweden has some sort of City State mojo, them and Austria may suit my play style.

I try to play every Civ at least once, unless it is just abusive or annoying. I have yet to play multiplayer so, I may finally get to do that as a Mac user among PC friends. I should be studying so I won't be following the rumors very closely, but I will be a buyer if not on day one than at least in month one.

I took about six months off from the game, to try and solve some personal problems. Didn't really work so well, now I'm supposedly concentrating on the CFA exam, so I haven't finished the one game I started after being tempted by a story about the expansion. I'm not even sure what my favourite Civ was, I own all the DLC ones. I don't always understand why I get higher scores with some Civs, sometimes you just get lucky. My highest scores don't seem to have come on the hardest difficulty level, I don't even play on the top 2 difficulty levels. I'm more interested in trying different tactics than maximizing my score...

I was big into earning badges for a while, but some are really tough to earn and many are tied to scenarios. I've never been a big scenario player, but I've completed a couple of them and will have to try them all eventually. I definitely got my money out of this game. :goodjob:

I definitely want to play Theodora first, just because her ability will be perfect to understand how religion works in the game. Then, I want to use Austria to understand city states and their new characteristics in the game (and consume them with the UA). And then I'll either use Sweden or England to try and understand espionage better.

The week of the 19th will be a busy one for my computer :)

I also think the Swedes would be very interesting and would be much better at a diplomatic win thanks to the new changes.Plus I like Sweden :D. Also I'm interested in Songhai because they will get a new UA since all embarked units can defend in GK.

-Mayans
-Carthage
-Byzantines

Mayans seem like they will be very versatile (if the free GP theory is true). However I've always liked to settle coastal cities, carthage is a no brainer, and I want to try Byz for a religous game.

I'm thinking:

Austria
Huns
Celts
Byzantines
Mayans
Dutch
Carthage
Sweden
Ethiopia

A lot depends on some of UX's that we don't know details about. A compelling UU or UB may flip my list around.

I'm also curious to play some of the old civs with the new features and changes.
Ottomans
Mongols
England

I like the Maya (the calendar seems interesting), Swedes (ability should be useful), Celts (the trees), Carthage (naval empire), Ethiopia (defense)

My least favorite are the Huns (warmongers), Austria (I don't want a humongous empire), Byzantines (still not sure how their ability work), Dutch (don't really care much about happiness)

Well, I like Austria for the city state shenanigans, which seem really fun (assuming you keep bonuses from CSes you acquire that way), and I like the Mayans for justice since they probably should have been in the core game.

What I'm much less than excited about is Carthage. Not their inclusion, but their representation. Choosing the semi-mythical Dido as a leader over one of the era's greatest statesmen and its greatest (according to Scipio) or second greatest (according to himself) general seems like a travesty to me - not that I'm biased or anything *coughAVATARcough*. Adding to that laughable UA (yeah, being Phoenician makes you able to go over mountains...) that while memorable to a civilization that's perhaps a little too enamored with Rome really was about the hundredth thing down the list of what Carthage was notable for, and a UU that's almost as limited in its significance and just as silly as something representative of the civilization, and it just comes off as pandering to me. Which is too bad, because the Civ franchise has generally done a really good job of minimizing that in the past - although it's far from perfect, and V almost certainly comes up well behind IV in that regard.

So while Carthage ranks in the top tier of my favorite civs, they're probably at the bottom of my play/enthusiasm order. I'm thinking Austria, Maya, Byzantium in the top tier, followed by Sweden (lots of Swedish heritage in my area, plus I went to a college named after Gustavus Adolphus), Celts, and Ethiopia.

Glad for no Zulu though. Now if we can just get Montezuma's perpetual core game slot into the hands of the Maya or Inca for Civ VI, I'll be happy. :p

Well, I like Austria for the city state shenanigans, which seem really fun (assuming you keep bonuses from CSes you acquire that way), and I like the Mayans for justice since they probably should have been in the core game.

What I'm much less than excited about is Carthage. Not their inclusion, but their representation. Choosing the semi-mythical Dido as a leader over one of the era's greatest statesmen and its greatest (according to Scipio) or second greatest (according to himself) general seems like a travesty to me - not that I'm biased or anything *coughAVATARcough*. Adding to that laughable UA (yeah, being Phoenician makes you able to go over mountains...) that while memorable to a civilization that's perhaps a little too enamored with Rome really was about the hundredth thing down the list of what Carthage was notable for, and a UU that's almost as limited in its significance and just as silly as something representative of the civilization, and it just comes off as pandering to me. Which is too bad, because the Civ franchise has generally done a really good job of minimizing that in the past - although it's far from perfect, and V almost certainly comes up well behind IV in that regard.

So while Carthage ranks in the top tier of my favorite civs, they're probably at the bottom of my play/enthusiasm order. I'm thinking Austria, Maya, Byzantium in the top tier, followed by Sweden (lots of Swedish heritage in my area, plus I went to a college named after Gustavus Adolphus), Celts, and Ethiopia.

Glad for no Zulu though. Now if we can just get Montezuma's perpetual core game slot into the hands of the Maya or Inca for Civ VI, I'll be happy. :p

Well the mountains are only a part of the UA (and a very situational very rarely to be used one), but the free harbors in any coastal city is extremely powerful.

Well the mountains are only a part of the UA (and a very situational very rarely to be used one), but the free harbors in any coastal city is extremely powerful.

Now, do we have any idea if these are 'free' free harbors, or is it just that every coastal city you found has one pre-built? Because I try to found my first few cities all coastal, and having that -4GPT as soon as I do would be pretty disastrous in the early game.

I know it's most likely that they won't cost anything, but do we have confirmation of this anywhere?

~R~

I assume they would also not cost maintenance. Otherwise a Carthage founded on the sea would be absolutely crippled in some situations, which would be weird.

my favourites in order
1. Austria ( City-state ability is awesome )
2. Byzantium ( I just like the empire and colour )
3. Swedan ( Again just colour and the ability will be excellent with city-states and a use for the great merchant )
4. Celts ( The bonus will be excellent for quick pantheon )
5. Huns ( The UA is great but the city list is reason its not higher )
6. Maya ( As great as the UA is I just don't see it that great )
7. Netherlands ( Colour is great but I don't think Netherlands didn't need to come some other civ would be better )
8. Ethiopia ( I like to expand but not conquer so Ethiopia isn't that great for me )
9. Carthage ( Nothing about Carthage appeals to me )

Top Bottom