1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favourite mutations!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Diamondeye, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

So, I was thinking, all you out there who play with Balseraph freaks or just with Chaos magic; share your favourite mutated units, whether it's an earlygame Strong/Heroic Attack Hunter that got you The Grand Menagerie, or it is a lategame Monstrous Eidolon!

I'll start out; this game is still running (currently only around yr. 270), and I have this pretty neat guy, upgraded from a Freak. His name might give you a clue as to just how wicked he's been acting until now:

RED is mutation, YELLOW is Aggressive (Insane trait :crazyeye:) and GREEN is equipment - rest is purely experienve, some of it from a certain Order Hero...

In this game, I've killed Elohim and I am currently fighting Order Luchuirp, the only civ left on my continent. I have found the other continent with a dominant Alexis (isn't she always?), Viconia and a midget Cassiel... Plenty of more time to get this guy stronger! I also have a pretty good chariot mutation I might put up aswell...

Anyway, show us those freaks, and feel free to add a small story!

2. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

Weird and out of character for me but Cannibalism's rejuvenating effect helps my heroes kill and kill again. Strange mutation.

3. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

I once gotten a blitz, strong, cannibalilze, and diseased on one mutation ;)

4. cabbagemeister

cabbagemeister Please wait...

Not to nitpick, but shouldn't he be either "Bane of Valin" or "Bane of Phanuel"?

OT: Heroic Strength is my favorite mutation because it's the only one that leads to a second awesome promotion (HS2). I think cannibalize is overrated unless you have Blitz as well -- March + a priest in the stack is much more effective.

5. Keeper_GFA

Keeper_GFA Prince

My fav mutation ever was Cannibalize on Valin.

6. zup

zup Emperor

Cannibalize is very powerful. It allows you to mow down endless amounts of cannon fodder, especially if you throw in first strikes as well.

7. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Well spotted, Cabbagemeister, I hadn't realized that one. Anyway, he's Balseraph so he can keep the odd name :p

And yes, Cannibalize is good, but I would agree that the "Heroic" promos are better since they lead to a second of the kind (this particular mutation only needs Combat V, then he's in for HA II)...

8. Azhral

Azhral Let's get Tactical!

I got a good one today. Weak, Diseased, Withered, Vulnerable to Fire. He was awesome!

9. zup

zup Emperor

Oh yeah I want one too.

10. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

I got an even (evil? :p) better one then that!

Weak, diseased, withered, vulnerable to fire, crazed, Enraged, plagued (although he may have gotten it in a battle against Yersia (I accidentally cast mutation on my best unit :p)

11. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I believe Crazed and Enraged were removed from the list of promotions mutation could give several patches back.

12. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Oh, well it was at least 6 months ago, so thats there

13. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

does loki still have the mutate spell? are freaks cheaper now? because I remember it was farrr more efficient to mutate stacks of warriors and keeping the best mutations rather than trying with freaks.

14. Corlis

Corlis Warlord

I'd love to get Cannibalize on an Archer and then jack up his strength as much as possible. "None shall pass!" indeed...

15. Azhral

Azhral Let's get Tactical!

Yea, not really. Freaks cost more hammers, but they only cost 5g to upgrade to Swordsmen or Archers, warriors cost alot more to upgrade, and Loki is best used for other things.

On another note, should it be made possible for Mutations to grant Spell Spheres? I.e the ability to cast the spell? Or perhaps give them civ bonuses, Dextrous, Sinister or Horselord.

16. zup

zup Emperor

I don't think mutation giving spells is a good idea. That's treading on Govannon's territory and Amurites don't really have many shiny mechanics.

As for civ bonuses, I like.

17. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

I don't think Mutation really affects one's capacity to cast magic, but I guess one can screw around with their brain to gain new traits. I guess

18. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I like Heavy and Cannabilize. I hate when I get like Wizened with Heavy or some similiar combination.

19. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

I once got Light, Heavy, Weak, and strong in a same unit -_-

20. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

Brother Nestor grew up in the slums of Coombe View. The freak son of a well-to-do Chaos Mage and an anonymous Balseraph courtesan, he was born with a hideously bizarre withering disease as well as parchment-like dry skin. In order to preserve his reputation, his father kept his birth a secret and kept Nestor locked up in his lab to experiment on him.

One day in his teen years, Nestor managed to escape while his father was busy with a courtesan. Despite suffering from recurring episodes of acute weakness due to his disease and his horrendous appearance, he managed to scrape an existence as a sailor because of his natural strength and his keen sight.

During the Elohim-Balseraph war, the Elohim annexed Coombe View as well as many other Balseraph cities. Despite repeated defeats at the hands of Ethne, Perpentach didn't seem to mind because he thought Ethne was pretty. He likes declaring war on pretty monarchs.

Nestor heard rumours of Cahir Abbey, where priests heal the sick for free. An Elohim soldier once told him it was out of 'compassion'. Nestor had no idea what the soldier was talking about but pretended to understand anyway. So he took all his money he saved up (he had no friends and no woman, which helped save money) and paid for passage to Cahir Abbey.

Once at Cahir Abbey, he showed up at the nearest Temple of the Order where a Confessor healed him without hesitation. For the first time in his life, Nestor knew compassion. He gave up his previous existence and joined the Order, so that he could heal and guide other unfortunate souls like him.

He started with: Withered, Vulnerable to Fire, Heroic Strength I and Heroic Defense I, Amphibious, Sentry.