1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Your Federal Policy Wishlist

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Synsensa, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

You're sat down in front of a nice-looking desk. People in suits surround you.

They say: "CFC User! The upper echelons of our government have approved one broad, or very specific, change that is entirely at your discretion! It must be somewhat realistic and relevant for the country we live in. The power is yours to effect a change unlike any we've seen before. Make your choice wisely!"

What change do you make to your country? It must be something you feel would make it a better place and it must be something that is actually within the realm of possibility (so no troll answers like "mandatory puppies for all" or "everyone pays me $5 a day"). What do you think would move your nation ahead, right now, based on a single policy change?

It can be as broad, or as specific, as you want. It can be as selfish, or as selfless, as you want. But it must be a serious answer, and it must be relevant to the nation-at-large.

hobbsyoyo and EgonSpengler like this.
  2. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

end the drug war

legalize or at least decriminalize drugs

oh, and of course release all prisoners of said war

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

"We are going to commit firmly to entirely phase out the burning of fossil carbon by 2030"

4. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Universal Basic Income

or

Medicare coverage extended to all Americans

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Sweeping criminal justice reform was the first thing I thought of, but Berzerker's got a lot of that covered. Owen's got medical care expansion, too.

I'm thinking about some kind of massive education reform. I know that, as a nation, we spend a lot per-pupil on elementary schools and high schools, but the funding is wildly disproportionate. I'm also tired of screwing around with people who think it's their right to teach their kids that the Earth is flat and evolution is a lie, and they can make kids say the Pledge of Allegiance and The Lord's Prayer in school every morning. So I would completely alter the funding streams for public schools, providing a base level of federal funding for every public school equal to something like... I dunno... $15,000 per student. I don't have the exact numbers, I'm just spitballing here, but it would be the same for each school district, if not each school. Then I would extend the whole idea of public schooling to public universities and community colleges, and anybody who wants to can go to night school for free. Education will just be a public service, like firefighting and police, for everybody, not just for children. We might have to pay a bunch of student loan debt, at some point, and pay tuition to private schools for public servants (maybe also for attorneys, accountants, dentists, doctors and nurses who work in low-cost neighborhood clinics or offices).

6. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Let it be known your education plan will only work if you ban all private schools. I can't wait to see the look on all those white faces when they hear their kids have to go to school with all the black kids.

7. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald nIGHTMARE

there is no federal policy here

8. Synsensa

Norway exists only as a loose collection of municipalities with utterly no federal oversight or jurisdiction? TIL.

9. rah

rah Chieftain Supporter

Single payer.

10. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald nIGHTMARE

the state is above the counties and municipalities

there is nothing federal about it

11. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

This.

But since Lexicus already took it, I'm going to go with "Ending donations to politicians by companies, super PACs, and all other organizations. Donations will only be allowed by individual with a maximum limit of X number of dollars". X is to be determined.

El_Machinae likes this.
  12. civvver

civvver Chieftain

Uh what? White suburbs don't send their kids to private schools, they send them to wealthy public schools and then don't zone any areas for low income housing. Simply banning private schools doesn't promote integration.

I have a couple big tax reform ideas that seem really common sense to me. First is changing fica payroll taxes. Right now american's pay 1.45% on all payroll income for medicare and 6.2% for social security but it's capped at $128k so you don't pay any taxes on income over that. It effectively caps social security taxes at $7960. Your employer also matches these taxes with money you never even see. So the taxes are really quite high. I understand where the idea of caps came from because originally social security was supposed to act as a retirement insurance program where you basically paid premiums for garunteed benefits later so both were capped. It worked cus we had more people paying in, but the numbers haven't kept up with the aging population and treating the taxes like premiums is stupid. It's basically universal income for seniors so just tax it progressively to pay for it in my opinion.

So what I would do is make your first $20k in income not taxed personally at all. I would leave the employer portion though because if we grant companies a tax break there's no way they return that to employees. That's a tax break of $1530 for every person making over 20k, and it's before exemptions and credits so it's a healthy break for poor people and middle class that starts at the bottom.

Then remove the cap on earnings period. If you make a million bucks you pay payroll taxes on $980k of it. It seems very unfair that the ultra rich pay less in payroll taxes as a percentage. It just makes no sense if you see social security as a tax and basic income program which it is.

Then I would change how capital gains are taxed. You would pay zero taxes on all short term gains under 10k per year and zero taxes on long term gains up to 25k a year. After that the rates are based on your income just like they are now, but I would increase the top rate to 25%. Also increase the cap on loss deductions to 6k, doubling it. I think this encourages the middle class to invest a lot more than having a 15% bracket. You can basically do stuff like throw a thousand bucks at apple and let it grow tax free since it's based on your returns not your income level. So a person making 80k a year but supporting a family with not a lot of extra income to invest is encouraged more to invest small amounts.

The gains tax change I want to be revenue neutral so those numbers might need tweaking, and by revenue neutral I mean with last years reporting numbers, not factoring in some unrealistic growth.

With the payroll tax change I want to see an increase in returns, so again the numbers may need tweaking, cus this could also fix social security solvency.

I would also change the way ceos are compensated with stock options being subject to payroll taxes at the value of when they are issued.

I also want a public utility isp that competes with private ones. The issue is how to pay for it. Free for poor people like under 30k a year, small fee for everyone else like $15 a month, and then probably some tax somewhere else like 0.5% on exisiting isps or high earning households. Idk what the numbers would be. Also don't know what's better technologically right now, national wireless or wired. 5g isn't quite ready to roll out.

I also think our college pricing issue could be fixed by building more universities. You might have a staffing shortage, but part of why prices are so high is demand outpacing the supply. Big name universities turn away tons of kids and still up their tuition every semester and still fill up.

Synsensa likes this.
  13. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Your understanding of this issue is incomplete
    But yes taking away the ability of white people to draw district boundaries that include only the white children is also paramount

14. Synsensa

Federal refers to the top tier of government that issues upon the lower tiers. Almost every government on Earth has this. Would it make you happier and more willing to participate if we assumed 'federal' was replaced with 'national' or 'central'?

15. civvver

civvver Chieftain

Idk but around here the only people going to private school are the super rich going to prep schools and catholics who want religious education. And they come from super white suburbs in the first place. You don't have people like in detroit sending their kids out to private schools.

I don't have issues with private school, you should have that choice if you want to spend the money, just don't give them any tax money. Voucher programs being pushed where you can spend your money on private is a terrible idea that just defunds public schools.

I forgot my other big policy would be immigration reform. I don't see why people are so afraid of immigration. We aren't having that many kids any more so importing working age people who can hold down jobs seems like a boon for the economy and tax receipts.

Let me expand on this a bit anecdotally. I was listening to a talk radio station who's audience is probably predominately the fox news crowd, ie over 60, white conservatives. And they were talking about the daca program and some guy called in and said I don't want any of them here because they pay no taxes and if they haven't become citizens by now they should have. Every single thing about that statement is wrong because first they haven't had a path to citizenship. If you were here illegally there was no way to apply for immigration status, you had to apply before you got here. Daca was instituted specifically because of those issues. And then taxes, they sure as hell pay taxes if they are working, unless it's an under the table job, but that doesn't have much to do with immigration status. People just have this misconception that immigrants don't pay taxes. Some special refugee groups don't, but immigrants surely do.

16. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Where I'm from private schools function largely as a way for white upper-middle-class parents to keep their kids out of the minority-overrun public schools.

17. civvver

civvver Chieftain

I see. Here the whites just move lol.

18. rah

rah Chieftain Supporter

Remove the cap for employee contribution but keep it in place for the employer. That alone would keep the system solvent for quite a while.

19. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

I will go with the first two. Releasing serial murderers is against my policy. Many of the prisoners should be released, but violent crime remains violent crime.

Also, some drugs need to remain controlled, eg ruffies.

I think you mean the other way around.

J

20. rah

rah Chieftain Supporter

No, I don't want to penalize the companies. The individual can easily afford it. I admit it's nice at the end of summer and they stop deducting it, but I'd have no issue if it wasn't capped.