1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your First Civ Fail?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Makonnen91, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Makonnen91

Makonnen91 Chieftain

Just got to thinking what you guy's first major blunder on a Civ game was. For example: My first Civ was Civ 3 Complete. Went into thinking it was an RTS. I beelined to gunpowder and built a horde of Musketmen:lol: Needless to say, my assault did not go to well.

2. BD123

BD123 Chieftain

Aww, well at least you made it to gunpowder. The first time I played CIV V I thought a Great General was capable of fighting and sent it to my front lines where it was instantly killed by a barbarian. Then Wu Zetian wiped me off the map. Did I mention this was Settler difficulty?

3. ToodleElNoodos

ToodleElNoodos Warlord

Not my first fail, but I was playing around as Polynesia on a Continents map. I went Tradition, Napoleon went Honor. I was trying to beeline a religion, he beelined my capital.

Shortest game I ever had.

4. Greizer85

Greizer85 Emperor

Conquering a City State to straighten my borders (ahem). The 6 near-instant DOWs from all sides did shorten them enough alright! :lol:

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

A very short game whence I was playing as the Byzantines and got ancient rushed by Japan.

6. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

Civ IV, when I kept hating on the Ottomans while having little to no land army as the Dutch.

I remember when I got insanely lucky- I once took Constantinople with three warriors as Persia on turn 15. :crazyeye:. Good thing they updated the combat system.

7. RedFuneral

RedFuneral Warlord

So have a scout 60+ tiles from the capital and I find El Dorado...

I spend the next 200 turns settling the location and trying to build a road to my capital. Suddenly the Ottomans show up on the border of the city with really advanced units and demand all my gold.(they could do that on launch.) They do the same again in 30 turns... the third time I called their bluff. They weren't bluffing. And I never go to finish that road despite doing pretty much nothing but training workers.

8. deity12

deity12 Chieftain

Well I think of any mega-fails, but a only a mega-win. Won Civ 3 map with 5 civs on it once (warlord difficulty) by running a single warrior through all of their undefended capitals (except one where i somehow managed to one-on-one a spearman with him XD).

9. rastak

rastak Emperor

Dude, it was about 22 years ago. No way I can recall that.

10. earthwulf

earthwulf Warlord

NOt my first, but most memorable... waited a couple of turns before settling the first city (wanted to find the right spot) & a barb picks up my settler.

11. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

When my cousin first got me into Civ 1, I just enjoyed going out and exploring the map. I never built any buildings because I didn’t have a large GPT (It never occurred to me that building a Marketplace would enhance my economy). So, my cities never grew, I couldn’t build many units, and I never founded more cities.

Luckily, I didn’t get fed up and quit the game. I overcame my stupidity, I learned to play properly, and I’ve been chugging along for the past 2 decades all the way up to Civ 5 BNW.

12. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

In Civ II, I was playing a very long game beyond the normal time limit. I wasn't really playing very well and focused more on what's cool beyond victory (in fact I'm not sure if I even knew about "winning" the game back then). The world had been reduced to three surviving Civs: the Sioux were the top Civ, ruling about half of the world, and if I recall correctly, India and my civ the Vikings were of about equal size. India and Sioux fought often. I was allies with India but never bothered to help them in their wars. It was like Nineteen Eighty-Four, except the alliances didn't constantly shift around.

Then I decided to nuke the Sioux for kicks. Bam, more nukes coming back at me and helicopters taking my cities. Oops.

13. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Warlord

When I started Civ5, I automatically assumed that like Civ4 the Scout could not attack. In fact I only realised they could attack in BNW!

14. troublmaker

troublmaker Warlord

Instead of using a general to buff up my army strength I decided to build a defensive position... which I never occupied. Then my enemy occupied that defensive position with ranged and started bombarding my city....

15. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

I first ever fail was in civ 5 despite playing civ rev, too easy but the jump to civ 5 was big. So I got the game when vanilla was out Korea wasn't even out yet got Mongolia though. Anyways I started up the game I went to press play now because I thought it was the same as civ rev pick a civ everything random. I did not know civ was random too.

I got the ottomans I was placed in a nice place mixed with grassland plains and a few hills my neighbours were Kuala Lumpur to the west China to the east and Mongolia to the south. Well I started building buildings and wonders ignoring military only unit I had was my starting warrior which went to spearmen and its final stage pikeman before it died. Around the time of long swords pikes and trebuchets Mongolia declared war me and china were friends but she refused to assist me and Mongolia rushed me with long swords and trebuchets and I had my pike which died pretty quickly. And then China declared war on me Mongolia then took my only city soon afterward. I only built two cities China took the other one after a while built a defence after Istanbul fell.

16. superliminal

superliminal Warlord

In Civ 3, I was in a cold-war scenario and didn't realize it. It had been reduced to two civs and I had one continent and Germany had the other. I declared war, and suddenly all my largest cities were annihilated by ICBMs. I tried to retaliate but I had a fraction of the nuclear stockpile. (Sometimes I wish nukes came into play more in Civ 5.)