1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your First Computer Experience

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by aimeeandbeatles, Sep 22, 2008.

1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

What was your first experience with a computer?

I was 5. Mom just got a new computer for some college course, and I was scared of it! Mom says she was trying to get me to go on it. I don't believe her.:lol:

2. WildFire

WildFire amour

played the original wolfenstein on my dads computer that he brought home from work when I was like 6

3. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Apple IIe with some kind of Pascal-type language, drawing program.

4. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Very first experience... probably Apple IIe's at elementary school. At home, would be when my dad got a laptop for work in '92-93.

5. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Some old PC my dad brought home in '94 or '95 when they were upgrading theirs at work. Since this was in Russia, they were one generation or so behind whatever was current for '92 then.

So many little games, so much fun for a 3 y/o

6. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

Some kind of Apple computer that I used at the library as a little boy.

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

When I was 2 my dad would let me play with this drawing program on his Amiga. He eventually sold it when he realized Amiga was about to go under.

When I was like 6 or so my dad got a 486, and for my birthday I got SimCity 2000, it was epic! I also had Civ2. I played both games very extensively.

8. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

It might have been using school Macintoshes in fourth grade, but I'm pretty sure it was at my aunt's house using MS Paint on my uncle's computer. It was sixteen colors, and I spent hours making a checkerboard of red and yellow pixels in parts of pictures where I wanted orange.

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

This is a family-oriented forum, so I am unable to share my first computer experience with you guys.

10. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

Studying Programming at university, using punch cards with their brand new IBM 360....

11. illram

illram Deity

Can't remember the first, but what got me into computers was "Ancient Art of War at Sea" on my Dad's 286. That game was friggin awesome.

12. taper

taper Meet Tux

First computer experience of any kind: playing with punch cards we found in my grandma's basement left over from when my uncle was in college.

First real computer experience: Apple IIe's in 1st grade. Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, vague worry and complete lack of understanding of the Michelangelo virus that was being hyped.

First programming: 4th grade, basic programs in BASIC.

First internet: 8th grade. My class DOS'd several sites by accident when we all went to the site at the top of the page the teach gave us. It didn't work, so we all went to the next on the list, etc. My school had a pretty good pipe for the time.

13. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

back in elementary school a friend of mine had a C64...we used to play Winter Games on it...ah the memories :)

later in early high-school my dad bought us a Amiga 500 :love:

14. Captain Carnage

Captain Carnage King

Amiga 500 in 1990.

15. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

My first experience was with apple machines back in 93 or 94 at school. We didn't use them for anything other than playing games for an hour once a week.

I remember when my brother came up from virginia and helped us with our first computer purchase. He set us up with internet and everything and all I could think of was what on god's green earth do I do with this now?

16. Lugh

Lugh Prince

IBM mainframe and 'dumb terminal' when I started work in 1975.

First personal was a SpectraVideo I bought in 1977 for £25! The programs were on cassette tapes, and it plugged into the TV as a monitor. Fiddled around with the included Basic language, and the bug was planted :)

17. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

More info:
    Our first computer was a Windows 95, but it died because of a faulty hard drive and the power supply went up in smoke. So we returned it and they sent us the Windows 98 which we had up until then I sold it.

before she died, my grandmother bought me a kiddy laptop. It was only an 8-bit thing, just plastic. It had a terrible sound card. I still have it but it's in storage. I don't know if that counts as a computer.

In elementry school, we used old Macintoshes. They were pretty old, cos back then computers weren't as important. I remember playing SimTown and some other games.

My first laptop (a real laptop, I mean) was using up to date Macintosh laptops (Macbook, I think?) in grade 8. That wasn't so long ago. 2005. (I'm in grade 11 now.) We were making movies.

18. Hallard

Hallard Chieftain

First computer... a Tandy something or other... I was real young.. couldn't tell you an age though

19. Comraddict

Comraddict C.IV

Commodore 64 with German programming manual.

20. t0mme

t0mme Great Red One

An 8086 Olivetti M24 (with a green phosphor display), somewhere in the late 80s, early 90s. Played games like Prince of Persia, the first MS Flight Simulator, Test Drive, old Sierra AGI adventures. Wow...