Your first game of civ VI

Kimiimaro

King
Who did you play as? What victory did you try? What difficulty? Who were your neighbours? Who did you attack? Who declared war on you? Who were you friends with? Who annoyed you most? Did you eventually win or were you defeated?

I played: Trajanus.
I went for: Not really a specific victory, I think science would've been best but I abandoned the game around the modern era.
Difficulty: Not sure, I think Prince, maybe King.
Neighbors: China thought it was a good idea to declare an early war on me, for the rest I'm not sure, I think I had India and Norway closeby.
Who did I attack: I didn't attack anyone, but I also didn't let China get away with that war.
Friends: I don't believe I really had any friends.
Enemies: Nor did I have any real enemies, I just kept to myself.
And as said I didn't finish the game.

My first game was with France because Catherine was first alphabetically. I was so used to my Civ 5 build order starting with Monument, then Scout, that I was quickly overrun by barbs and got decimated (on Prince level). I abandoned that game and nearly gave up on the franchise right then and there. But I started a new game with Catherine and fared much better. I later discovered that it was just a combination of needing to change my build order at the start and needing to alter my play style, and I've had much more success since. I also realize in hindsight that I got screwed by having the nearest 2 barb camps being next to Horse resources. It was basically a perfect storm of bad play and bad luck that almost drove me away from Civ 6.

I played: Cleopatra (random) on an inland sea map
I went for: culture victory, seemed most interesting back then
Difficulty: King, saw the videos and knew Prince would be rather easy
Neighbors: conquered China, don't remember much else
Friends: Was friends with Harald
Enemies: China, Barbarians (they would have killed me if I would not have seen the previews)

I picked random and got England/Victoria
I actually never finished this game. I won as England on another map.
The Difficulty was probably Prince.
One of my closest neighbors was Kongo. Also to the south were Sumeria, Norway, the Aztecs and Russia.
Sumeria was friendly but got conquered by the other civs. Norway also got conquered, he declared war on me with Russia before that. Eventually Russia became friendly with me. Kongo and the Aztecs seemed to be the biggest threat to me at the time I stopped playing the game. There were also other Civs outside of my continent, but I didn't meet them by then.

I played as Pericles of the Greeks as his playstyle seemed like it would be easy to focus and learn the new policy tree with. I set it to Prince so everyone would be on equal footing and continents as that's my preferred map type.

I knew I was going cultural from the get go. I ended up having an amazing setup where I was protected from the AI by a large mountain range with narrow one hex passes. Gorgo and Peter the great tried to no avail to crush me. Gorgo actually became friendly with me after proving my mettle. I finished the policy tree in about the 1400s. Pericles is just ridiculous especially when on Prince you have very little competition for wonders. Couldn't place all my writers and artists.

Realized that despite this being a new game I'd have to play on emperor or immortal for any challenge.

I played as Gorgo of Greece since they peaked my interest the most during the First Look video series. I played on King difficulty and got a pretty decent map, trapping a bunch of city states in the corner where the opposition could not reach them. I had Scythia and Norway to my south. Tomyris took Harry to the woodshed while I stayed peaceful, winning a culture victory somewhere in the 1900's (standard speed). The only annoying thing was the day 1 missionary carpet of doom that was thankfully patched out.

France because alphabet. On Settler. Neigbours were Kongo and China (and Spain across the water). Lost my second city to a City-State - Kongo was its sovereign, declared war on me, brought no troops whatsoever, but that CS was right next to my city, and (as I know now) City-States are serious power early in the game. Well, and I thought the city would be able to shoot, so didn't have anything to defend it myself :D. Nevertheless, I recovered, was cautious with that CS after that and built some more cities. And again, I sort of tried to play tall, as in Civ5, so Spain proceeded to fill the gaps between my cities with theirs. That pissed me off, so I kicked Philip's ass, took those cities, got denounced by everyone and proceeded to win a cultural victory :D

I played as Russia. Was stuck in a desert/tundra peninsula and didn't meet another civ, aside from the two city-states that were on top of me, until the middle ages. Then met Arabia and had a holy war.

Who did you play as? What victory did you try? What difficulty? Who were your neighbours? Who did you attack? Who declared war on you? Who were you friends with? Who annoyed you most? Did you eventually win or were you defeated?

My first game was similar to @Leyrann's.
Rome
No victory attempted as I abandoned the game cos I started on Warlord, and figured that was too low for me by about half way through*.
Immediate neighbours were Spain, Kongo, and...someone else... lol
I took out Spain pretty quickly as they were too close. Had a war eventually with Mvemba, but we were peaceful for most the game.
Mvemba and that someone else declared war on me.
I was friends with Mvemba.

*Having said that...the first game was still information overload! I struggled to take it all in (even having watched many lets plays), and I loved it!

I had to look it up. Looks like my first game was with China on Warlord difficulty and it was a domination victory in December 2016. I skipped Civ 5 so I knew I would have a high learning curve. I wish I could load the replay of that one - I didn't read anything so it took me awhile to understand even the basic mechanics (the civilopedia didn't help much but GOTM sure did). I like to learn by trial and error.

My first game was with Cleopatra (random pick) . I got a taste of the typical Civ 6 fake wars when 3 civs declared war on me and.. nothing. Trajan led the war with a warroir and a scout and long story short several turns later 3 civs gave me gold for peace without doing much. The moment when I got DOWed upon the frst time is still engrained in my memory :) . I won via culture without even trying to do so.

I definitely don't remember all those details.

I played as America and did a cultural victory. I don't think I had a single war all game as I believe it was the 2nd lowest difficulty. If I had known before hand that you get the achievements for every lower difficulty, I would have just started at Warlord or Prince.

I played as Pericles, since I always like to start with a fairly ancient civ without too unique a playstyle - plus the unique district to help get a taste for that new feature. Continents map on King difficulty I think? Maybe Prince to get an idea of what is "normal".

My immediate neighbours were Trajan, whom I wiped out pretty quickly (as a preventative measure, you understand), and Mvemba, who I think has been in every game I've played (which isn't a huge number, since I usually play to the end and have been playing a lot of Overwatch, because I'm a bad CivFanatic :p) I think I did enough warfare against those two to be friendly with Gorgo, who was the last one on my continent. Can't remember anybody else.

Mvemba annoyed me the most, because he's a pretty powerful snowballer. I ended that with a couple of nukes on his most wonderful cities.

I eventually won a Culture victory, thanks to Acropoleis and Mont St. Michel with a bunch of Relics from Martyred Apostles.

Fun enough game that I can still remember it several months on!

My first game was a Prince level Culture victory as America on a huge map. Don't remember the details, though.

Difficult to remember now but I think Traianus on chieftain and either space or culture victory. I suppose I can check my achievements when I get home at least to see what my first victory was. I came back home after a LARP and had it downloaded and ready. I saw some videos before so I knew what to expect.

I remember it as a giant failure. I went in blind and was confused by the new features of districts, builders, faith and how resources worked and I do not think I learned anything until my second game.
Played as Scyntia
Summaria was the one nabour I remember. They attacked me with warcarts. I survived probably because it was a low level (warlord)
Won cultural victory by accident.

Pericles, Prince, Standard speed, standard size map
Had an isolated start with a good number of city states around me, so found it pretty easy. Kongo conquered one of my city state allies so I DoW'd them, was about the only eventful thing that happened really. Was on my way to an easy culture victory when I had switched my policies, then recruited and activated Adam Smith, which resulted in a bug so couldn't progress the game further.

First impressions was that I loved the district mechanics

Leader: Catherine, France. (Reason: Alphabetical order. Looks like I'm not the only one who does that).
Tried: Cultural Victory
Difficulty: Emperor
Neighbors: Montezuma (he is my neighbor in EVERY SINGLE MATCH he shows up, which is every match I played so far minus one), Harald, Tomyris
Who I Attacked: No one
Who DoW me: Montezuma, who else?
Friends: Harald, Peter. Most leader where friendly towards me. Qin Shi Huang and Frederick denounced me, because wonders and suzerain CSs. I was playing with 15 leaders, btw.
Who annoyed me: My old pal, Monte. His agenda is just impossible to please
Did I win? Yes, cultural as planned =)

Top Bottom