[R&F] Your first game of Rise and Fall?

My first game was as Nubia. Really had a great time with it. Those Nubian Archers almost feels like cheating. Conquered Mongols and Korea early on, then took out a nearby city-state so I had a whole landmass for myself. It was only connected by a small stroke of land linking it with the Cree, Scythia and Scotland. Zulu was on a landmass to my west. Only later I found out the Mapuche were on a small continent on the other side of the world.

Scythia pretty much hated me due to her ideologue agenda. Scotland was a bit upset about my lack of religion. Cree had an agenda that liked seeing others go to war, which felt a bit contrary to his beliefs. Lautaro was "wonder-obsessed," restricted by a small continent and could only settle four cities.

Cree and Scythia joined together for a war against me but due to having secured a lot of early cities it wasn't really a threat, but they did have quite a bit of stuff to send at me. I repelled their attacks eventually and then focused on building economy and science.

In the second half of the game the other civs went after the city-states like crazy, especially Zulu, Scythia and Cree. Got into several protectorate wars with Scythia because she kept going after the ones I was Suzerain off. (Because everyone had denounced her I actually had the support of all other civs. Although Robert the Bruce still complained)

I had an alliance with Poundmaker who also went after a city-state I was allied with. He had overwhelming forces and there was nothing I could do.

I developed a very good relation with Lautaro of the Mapuche, (despite him not being that happy with me because I had more wonders than him and our first meeting had left a bad impression) and actually was surprised when I realized I was making an effort to keep him as a friend. It felt rewarding when Lautaro was the one who contacted me to renew our alliance. I built up a trade network across the world to reach him. Despite his four cities Lautaro did well in the second half of the game.

Poundmaker wanted an alliance with me as well but I was kind of done with him after he took Buenos Aires when we were allied the first time. Instead, I was able to make an alliance with Shaka, which had taken some time because he was very cautious before that. Not long after Shaka and Lautaro became allies with each other.

Cree did very well with many high-population cities and they expanded like crazy. He had a big economy (spamming Commercial hubs and harbors), lots of wonders but slightly lagged behind in science. Mapuche had four high-population cities, grabbed some wonders and did well culturally. Scythia had lots of cities too but focused on religion and lagged behind. Zulu restricted itself with only three/four cities early on despite available land. When they finally started to expand they were already lagging behind, but began catching up later on. Scotland started off well but stagnated in the second half, their victory condition seemed to change every few turns and they simply gave up settling any more cities besides the few early on.

Despite a lot of denounciations aimed at Thomyris and Poundmaker, the other civs seemed reluctant to go to war. City-states were attacked a lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom