1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your first impressions about the available civilizations

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by GAGA Extrem, Oct 22, 2016.

1. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

After playing a few games, I am quite interested to hear how other people evaluate the available civilizations in terms of their abilities and power levels. Not as a tier list (bit early for that), but rather first impressions.

Who feels strong?
    Who feels weak?
    Are there any that defied your expectations in a good or bad way?
    Do you think that any CIV has a mechanic that doesn't really work or is clunky/annoying to use?

As for me, I have only played a handful of peaceful builder games towards science and culture victory, so my perception is obviously biased, but I was really impressed about both Rome and Greece.

In case of Rome, it turns out that the free Monuments (hello AU from BE!) are a great perk to breeze through the first few Culture techs to get the +50% settler policym, and the free roads make defence against a potential barb swarm (or an angry neighbor) so much easier. The bath does also come at a perfect time when you can make good use of the extra benefit.

In terms of Greece, their extra Wildcard policy slot is just amazing. You get so much flexibility over the whole course of a game. On top of that, the cheaper Culture districts (even if more restraint in terms of placement) are great as a secondary or tertiary choice to bolster cities once district cost has already increased quite a bit.

On the flip side, Kongo actually played quite a bit different from what I expected. Mostly due to the fact that their extra Great Culture Person points simply resulted in me ending up with half a dozen unuseable guys over the course of the game (and they can't even get Cathedrals for the extra art slots).

2. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Yeah Pericles kicks ass in the culture game. It's almost the 1500s and I have every civic except for 3 on the tree.

Oddly, Gilgamesh, who's supposed to be like everyone's best friend or something, has declared numerous surprise wars on me and the other 3 Civs on my continent. He's basically conquered Sparta and taken a couple of cities from Russia and France. Not a very nice guy after all

3. Soduka

Soduka Warlord

Hard to play against Cleopatra. She's very.....distracting.

4. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Yeah, having an acropolis in every city creates masses of culture. :D I also noticed that in my trainwrecked greece game.
    Might be nerfed though.

5. ExemplarVoss

ExemplarVoss Prince

Sumeria is amazing (2nd game). Don't care about joint war things, but the warwagons are ridiculous starting units, and the 'treat barb camps as goodie huts' is ridiculous. So many boosts, well into the late game. Ziggurats are nice, especially on good food tiles or a city that has a lot of food bonuses anyway. Combined with the petra, you can fill a desert with the silly things and go absolutely nuts.
    The warwagon allows an early steamroll of immediate neighbors or city states and you can go in any direction from a solid start, knowing you'll pick up a lot of random benefits hunting down barbarian camps.

Spain is... awful (1st game). The trade bonus between continents was nice at first, but over time and as I built districts, it didn't change, so dwindled to nothing.
    The bonus against other religions was also pretty trivial. Missions were awful (I had huge faith generation already), and the conquistador... didn't end up mattering. It could be a nice boost, but for me, that era doesn't last that long- by the time they come into play, the snowball is in full effect and I want to replace them with modern units.

The lack of a unique district, policy slot or some other bonus (like sumeria's) that actually progresses you in some fashion really showed. Circumstantial combat bonuses are neat, but not enough to sustain a civ. By the midgame it felt like I was playing a civ with no benefits at all, despite having a ton of trade routes, and using my 2nd continent city as my main starting point for internal trade routes, and trading primarily with France and Sumeria (who were both on the second continent).

6. Halfpast_Yellow

Halfpast_Yellow Chieftain

Greece, mainly Gorgo in my games, is absolutely ridiculous. So strong, can do any win condition. Extra wildcard slot you can run God King and the +1 production card right out the gate, meaningful culture boosts from killing enemies/barbs really blow other civs bonuses out the water, and the acrop aint bad either. Pretty much the new Poland.

7. Denkt

Denkt Reader

I have only finished a game with Brazil.

• Very easy to get ahead of ai in tech due to strong adjancency bonus.
    • Pedro's ability is very nice in the late game but not much to have in the early game.
    • Very easy to keep cities happy with the unique district and the project work well with Pedro's ability.
    • Industrial era battleships mean that they get the 100% production bonus from press gangs which is very very nice.
    • Felt very flexible, great people is very nice for any victory condition.
    Im currently playing a game as China

• Can build some rather expensive wonders such as oracle for a really low price (micro production and only use builders on wonders).
    • +1 builder charge will add up a whole lot over the game, useful even if you do not plan for any wonders but given how cheap China can build the early ones you can go wonder + something else while Brazil probably can't.
    • Can delay campuses and theater due to stronger eurkas and insperation.
    • Seems to have a very powerful ranged unit, 50 ranged strength in medieval is nothing to joke about then the strongest melee unit have only 48 melee strength.
    • Great wall give the same advantages as fort but you get them very early so China is basically rushproof in correct hands.
    • Basically it feels like China can get a whole lot of wonder while it expand and have very little to fear from other civs.
    Brazil and China feels to be very different. China can build a large empires with wonders while Brazil start out as a super techer and turns into a great people mangnet.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  8. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Rome's free monument was very powerful and made up for a relatively poor housing and growth spot for the capital, and let me expand. The bath was nice, it's a better aquaduct, and I think the aquaduct is always going to come in handy at some point in the game, sometimes when you unlock the tech, sometimes later. Unique districts having a 50% build cost is very nice. I was focusing on expanding when the legion came online and only created one during the entire game, but a no iron requirement better swordman feels very powerful, my legion was fighting with my knights and crossbows and did not feel outdated at all. The trading post benefit was modest, didn't really help that much, but I didn't focus on commercial districts until later in the game, which might have been a mistake. Especially with the baths to provide additional housing, getting more internal trade routes might have helped me push growth and production faster than I actually managed to do so. The free roads were very nice, it helped my archers/crossbowmen fight barbarians considerably, though roads themselves are a bit weaker in VI than they were in V.

9. Usama84

Usama84 Chieftain

I'm very happy with Arabia and the fact that my capital is Cairo. Now, if only Cleopatra would accept my offer for dinner, instead of her offer for war

10. AJ22PIZZA

AJ22PIZZA Chieftain

America had a slow start but was enjoyable.

Founding Fathers
    I don't quite understand government legacy bonuses, but I stayed with Chivalry for a while and I think the legacy bonus gave me more envoys and if so getting stuff like that quicker is an amazing bonus.

Leader Ability
    The +5 combat bonus was useful against barbarians and Spain, whose warriors got a little close to Charleston.
    I built one national park and I have no idea what appeal does beside choosing places for neighborhoods.

Rough Rider
    I was an era ahead which definitely effected things, but the Rough Riders were great. They one shot a lot of units (era behind) and I took the Sumerian capital just with Rough Riders. The culture is also a nice boost. No comment on the hill bonus.

Film Studio
    I won a culture victory with America, and this was a huge part of it. The 100% bonus is great and gave me a huge jump in tourism.

P-51 Mustang
    The only time I used them in combat was to kill a barbarian boat (trireme?) so I don't have much too say about them but they seem too late and too ineffective overall.

11. Acken

Acken Deity

I tried Russia.

I was overwhelmed by the amount of Writers Musicians and Artists because of the Lavra. I had 2 of each sitting around by the end because I wanted a space victory and didn't have a theater in every city. I guess you are better to go for a culture victory (or religious) with Russia since it will combo nicely with their unique district.

The added land at the start is very nice like Shoshone in civ5. Peter ability of bonus science when you are behind through trade routes was useless to me in the game I played.

I also tried England in multiplayer but I abused the frigate beeline and rolled over everybody.

12. Galbias

Galbias Prince

Russia was fun. The extra territory is very, very valuable in this game given the benefits from good district placement. My capital ended up maxing out on number of obtainable tiles and I built 3 national parks in it alone: http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...407/CDCEC02C0034488F0E1ABF57702E69E2CC6E38C0/

On the other hand, the Science/Culture leech was completely useless (was on King) and I never really got a chance to use the Cossack.

Germany looks really really good, Industrial Zone is something you'll be building a lot of, so having it for half price + not adding to the district cap is wonderful, the ability to build more districts is great and should let you build more, better cities without having to worry about getting your population up and the associated housing problems, conquering City States actually looks to be a pretty good strategy in this game so the bonus against them is useful, as is the Military policy slot. The one sore spot for him is his UU, it's probably one of the worst in the game, feels like he should've been tearing stuff up with a Knight replacement or something.

The district thing might not be as good depending on the way that district cost works (ie if it goes up with each district built), not 100% sure on that offhand.

I didn't make much use of Aqueducts. Using up a tile next to your city center for only +2 housing isn't an amazing tradeoff, in a lot of cases I'd rather just spam improvements for extra housing, the one exception is if you want to settle one tile away from Fresh Water (or Mountains), in which case they're good. Of course, Baths are a lot better than Aqueducts and if/when I play Rome I'll probably build them in most cities.